Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Map Overlays
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Map Overlays
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stuart
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Latest Home version Reply with quote

Has anyone managed to make their own 'Map Overlays' yet. TomTom have an example with the CeBit Exhibition Centre. How about one of the NEC in Birmimgham.

Or something more exciting. Twisted Evil

http://create.tomtom.com/manuals/create-your-own-content/
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Latest Home version Reply with quote

stuart wrote:
Has anyone managed to make their own 'Map Overlays' yet. TomTom have an example with the CeBit Exhibition Centre. How about one of the NEC in Birmimgham.

I have a few created on my device but they are for restricted area sites so I don't think publishing them on the site would be a very a good idea! - I will try and set one up covering the local park tomorrow and see if that can be used to get some screen shots/ photographs.

This would appear to work in a very similar way to the method I used to employ to run map bmp files on the device for areas with no coverage using the excellent "Off Road Navigator" plug in for the TT devices, although the zoom control parts are new, and the way it adds the image to the existing map view.

To create one grab a screen shot of the area you want using Google Earth with a couple of position "pins" located at known coordinates top left and bottom right, then use a photo edit package on the PC to edit the picture down to the simple image you require - Mike
stuart
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Latest Home version Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
stuart wrote:

I have a few created on my device but they are for restricted area sites so I don't think publishing them on the site would be a very a good idea! Mike

I understand Mike, and looking at your home location, I can understand why (possibly). I get to go to a large site just south of you and a similar one on the east coast, plus one down near me. I may tweek one of the suppied site maps and see how it goes. I'll watch this forum for your results. Stu
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Latest Home version Reply with quote

stuart wrote:

I have had a go at creating one for the NEC here

It shows the halls and the car parks. It's my first attempt and the resolution is not as good as I would have liked.

It was created by grabbing a couple of screen shots from the tomtom, stitching them together, adding the car parks & halls with a paint program and erasing the roads leaving the background colours in place to blend in with the rest of the map (of course this will only work if your map colours are the same as mine).

Anyone know how to get a clear background? Tried a gif with a transparent background, didn't work!
stuart
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Latest Home version Reply with quote

pcaouolte wrote:

It shows the halls and the car parks. It's my first attempt and the resolution is not as good as I would have liked.
Anyone know how to get a clear background? Tried a gif with a transparent background, didn't work!

pcaouolte

I have downloaded it and will check it out later today. Thanks for being the first .
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Latest Home version Reply with quote

stuart wrote:
pcaouolte wrote:

pcaouolte

I have downloaded it and will check it out later today. Thanks for being the first .

I create one too today and it worked, except that the roads on the map overlay diverted sligtly from the roads on the TomTom map when I zoome in. It is tricky to get the long/lat values of the corners of the overlay exact. Since the map picture I used is copyrighted I can't distribute it.
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Latest Home version Reply with quote

pcaouolte wrote:

It was created by grabbing a couple of screen shots from the tomtom, stitching them together, adding the car parks & halls with a paint program and erasing the roads leaving the background colours in place to blend in with the rest of the map (of course this will only work if your map colours are the same as mine).

Just checked and it looks really useful - fills the gaps in nicely. Thumbs Up I suspect you would get better resolution and "fit" to the roads better by using a bigger image (more zoomed in) but over the same area. Your's is only a pixel or two out at worst anyway so I wouldn't bother too much.

Unfortunately, bmp files don't have transparency though you wouldn't want it (what if someone's normal background was the same colour you used for the car parks for example).
Brodit ProClip mount
stuart
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcaouolte I have added your map overlay onto my TTG500 and it looks fine..I'll give it a road test next time I make a delivery there.. Cheers...
Very Happy

uffe73...What is your overlay of... Rolling Eyes
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuart wrote:
pcaouolte I have added your map overlay onto my TTG500 and it looks fine..I'll give it a road test next time I make a delivery there.. Cheers...
Very Happy

uffe73...What is your overlay of... Rolling Eyes

It's a detailed orienteering map (1: 10 000) for the area where I use to run. Just for testing the overlay feature (not very useful to bring the TT GO out in the jogging track Smile ).
stuart
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Latest Home version Reply with quote

stuart wrote:

I know I am quoting myself, but with mikealders help, I have managed to make my own overlay for a location in Ghent, Belguim. I will be testing its accuracy this Monday coming.

Smile thanks mike Thumbs Up
metradio
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Latest Home version Reply with quote

pcaouolte wrote:
stuart wrote:

I have had a go at creating one for the NEC http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~coote/tt/raster/nec.zip

It shows the halls and the car parks. It's my first attempt and the resolution is not as good as I would have liked....

Not a bad effort all the same.. I ran the bmp image through PaintShop Pro and expanded it to 200% of its original size, sharpened the image up and saved it as a GIF file to save on file size. I also altered the nec.sat file to reflect the new image size and altered the zoom level figure from 30 to 90 so the overlay can viewed further out on my TomTom One V1..
stuart
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Latest Home version Reply with quote

[quote="metradio
Not a bad effort all the same.. I ran the bmp image through PaintShop Pro and expanded it to 200% of its original size, sharpened the image up and saved it as a GIF file to save on file size. I also altered the nec.sat file to reflect the new image size and altered the zoom level figure from 30 to 90 so the overlay can viewed further out on my TomTom One V1..[/quote]

Hi metradio...Any chance of you emailing the GIF and sat file through to me please. I have done a local OS Map for my TTG 500 which works OK. Is that right that the overlay can only be viewed in the 'Browse map' option.

Confused
metradio
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Latest Home version Reply with quote

stuart wrote:

...Any chance of you emailing the GIF and sat file through to me please. I have done a local OS Map for my TTG 500 which works OK.

PM sent..
Quote:

Is that right that the overlay can only be viewed in the 'Browse map' option. Confused

Yes it is :-(

Mike
Mobilnova Media Center
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I split this topic from the original Home 2,2,0,33 thread as a few people are asking questions about this, finding the information was a little difficult as it was spread across six pages, I hope no one minds - Mike
meinereiner
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, since I do not speak English translation with google.
I have this forum with Google and found this story with interest since I read in German no discussion on map overlays found.
Have also created overlays recognizes TomTom Home unfortunately it is not and I can not for all this Release.
Name of overlays:
1.gif
1.sat
This content:
1.gif
8.xxxxx
50.xxxxx
8.xxxxx
50.xxxxx
The same again with a jpg tried both in the map.
Can someone tell me why TomTom Home does not recognize the overlays?

===========================================
Orginal

Hi, da ich keine Englisch spreche hier die Übersetzung mit google
Ich habe dieses Forum mit Google gefunden und mit Interesse diesen Beitrag gelesen da ich in deutsch keine Diskussion über Map overlays gefunden habe.
Habe auch Overlays erstellt leider erkennt TomTomHome diese nicht und so kann ich diese nicht für alle Freigeben.
Name der Overlays:
1.gif
1.sat
mit diesem Inhalt:
1.gif
8.xxxxx
50.xxxxx
8.xxxxx
50.xxxxx
das selbe nochmal mit einem jpg versucht beide werden in der Karte angezeigt.
Weis jemand warum TomTom Home die Overlays nicht erkennt?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: