Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - map install problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

map install problems
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inthe128
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: map install problems Reply with quote

As I am in and out of west and east Europe and getting fed up with changing maps and keeping to sets of maps updated with POIs I thought I would go for the western and central Europe map. I order online and paid the money and so far 6 attempts and not much has happened. I have a support email with TT at the moment but they are suggesting all the stuff that is on the support pages and I had a go at that.

It seems to get to a point in the download and then throw up an error message, the last 2 times it seems at the same place. I have a folder on the machine with western and central europe, but its not the correct size has one item in it and then a folder in downloads with 5 items in, all poking and prodding from me has resulted in nothing. Any ideas out there, it all seems very odd.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exactly is the error message?
inthe128
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get this message:

ERROR: DesktopLib/InstallToDevice/Install/NoValidItem: Item was not valid after installation: Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB
@ /usr/local/parabuild/etc/build/b36236co/a/u/t/o/CodeBase/Sources/Home/DesktopSuite/../DesktopLib/framework/InstallToDeviceThread.cpp(657)

in /usr/local/parabuild/etc/build/b36236co/a/u/t/o/CodeBase/Sources/Home/DesktopSuite/../DesktopLib/framework/InstallToDeviceThread.cpp:657
Stack:
0. chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/commit.js:84
error(textOrException);
1. chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/ttwizard.xml:1032
this._commitFailed(i, commitPage);
2. chrome://tthome/content/logic/util.js:81
return func.apply(obj, arguments);
3. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:77
this._errorCallback(e);
4. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:69
this._errorFatal(error);
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is you computer hard wired to the internet or using a WiFi connection? if you are using a WiFi connection please cable directly to the modem using eithernet/ USB as WiFi is known to cause strange behaviour when downloading maps - Mike
inthe128
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Is you computer hard wired to the internet or using a WiFi connection? if you are using a WiFi connection please cable directly to the modem using eithernet/ USB as WiFi is known to cause strange behaviour when downloading maps - Mike

Already tired that Mike, same result. We are running on a slow connection here, just waiting to upgrade, perhaps this is the problem. It does seem to cop out at the same place, which seems the strange thing. I think my next step is to try and find a kindly soul with a faster connection and see if that helps.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you have downloaded the map if it gets that far. Look in the TomTom home folder on your PC in downloads\complete\maps\** and see if the map is there in a zip file and see if the file is corrupted.
inthe128
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
It sounds like you have downloaded the map if it gets that far. Look in the TomTom home folder on your PC in downloads\complete\maps\** and see if the map is there in a zip file and see if the file is corrupted.

Yes, I have a zipped file and when opening that it indeed says cannot open corrupted file.
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi inthe128
First of all do as Mr T has suggested. If the Zip file for the map is in your ‘Download’ Folder then the fault lies in the installation process. If the fault lies in the latter then I’m sure we will soon have you up and running.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inthe128 wrote:
Yes, I have a zipped file and when opening that it indeed says cannot open corrupted file.

OK so the problem is with the downloading by Home and not with your device, although by the time you get the above error message Home will usually have deleted the old map files from the device.

You need to look at why the file is corrupting on download to your PC. Check all the usual PC suspects, disk space, corrupted file structures, AV software etc. It could be as suggested your ISP, many have had problems before with 02 and those who sub-contract to it. Check you have the latest version of Home installed.
inthe128
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys so far. As I start download I get somewhere in the region of 14 - 16 hours showing, so i have been doing it overnight. 2 goes ago it was reading 4 hours to go, I sat down with a coffee and it went from download to install and fail in front of my eyes. Same thing this morning got to 4 hours and failed again.

As I say at this time we are on a slow Polish connection, although its never been a problem with other software or music downloads apart form the speed of course. To me it seems odd it appears to fail at the same point. I am a Mac user and doing this to an SD card if this has any bearing. I will try again tonight, see if it does the 4 hour thing again and I think trying a faster connection is worth trying.
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi inthe128

If you go to the topic at
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=74802&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
you will see the same kind of trouble that you are now suffering. You almost certainly have a corrupted file and if you follow the suggestions shown in the address above I feel sure you will soon be on the road to a full recovery.
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
inthe128
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks, 6 pages... right off to get a coffee and have a read.
inthe128
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here I am again, another failed update, number 7 and not had a peep out of TT support. The fail happened at the same time as the others I have seen

At the bottom of the download page I have a message: Download interrupted and these item have not been added to your device....

I have had a look at the link given, but I am unable to open the zip file, always says corrupt. The device has one item in a folder and in my download section on my mac I have a folder with 5 items in there. If I cannot get into the zip file I cannot see how to resolve this or is the next step to find another internet option?
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi inthe128
Oh! Dear you are in a pickle.
I have never found myself in the position where I have been unable to open a Zip package and just what can be wrong I do not know. I will certainly follow this topic to see what the eventual answer will be. Sorry I can’t help.
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi inthe128
Just out of curiosity, are you able to see what size the Zip File is if you ‘Right Click’ on it and look at Properties?
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: