Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Nuvi 765T going back to Halfords, had enough now
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Nuvi 765T going back to Halfords, had enough now

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Waynesters
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Garmin Nuvi 765T going back to Halfords, had enough now Reply with quote

Right, thought i would give my Garmin 765T another go over the weekend, i left for Southern Ireland last wednesday, had some gigs with my band and was travelling all over these parts, must say the maps were pretty bad, some places werent on the Garmin maps, thought still much better than when i owned a TomTom earlier in the year
while in ireland, its been on pretty much 4 - 5 hours per day while over there, just got back home to Oxford about an hour ago

it reset itself 6 times over the weekend while in use!
i done a factory reset on it like Garmin told me to do, and STILL Problems!
im really gutted as i dont want to go back to TomTom!
i have version 2.50 Software on it

im just fedup with the unit resetting itself, i love all the features on it, be nice to use them without it going off!
is Garmin trying to sort this as they deny all knowledge of it everytime i ring them up
should i keep it and put up with it and just wait, or take it back to Halfords tomorrow and get something else?

anyone?
TomTom 940
www.bongiovi.co.uk
www.facebook.com/bongiovitributeband
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only you can decide that. I had a number of uncommanded resets when I first received it but the latest update has cured them and it has been pretty stable since then. I used it on a 5 hr drive to Wales and then back again and it performed perfectly.

Still not my favourite device but perfectly capable none the less.

Given the history with yours maybe you might try a replacement of the same device in case it's just a bad unit?
Waynesters
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im more than happy to exchange it for an exact model, but just frightened it will do it again once i get it and update the software to version 2.50

i just dont know which manufacturer to go with other than Garmin or TomTom Rolling Eyes
TomTom 940
www.bongiovi.co.uk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My third choice of PND would be anything running iGO. Sadly Mio no longer use it and MyGuide have gone under so I'm not sure what else offers iGO.
Waynesters
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

even though i have version 2.50 Software already installed, is it worth me doing a re-install, would that cure the resetting do you think?
TomTom 940
www.bongiovi.co.uk
Waynesters
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

found this on a website after some searching around, it seems the 755 AND 765 has the re-boot problems

Which is why I posted the changes (verbatim) from the update page. Know also that it's common for Garmin to make other undocumented changes with firmware updates.

Posted by: gatorguy on November 13, 2008 5:10 PM | Reply to This Comment
I wonder if this firmware update fixes the blackout/reboot problems some have reported.

Posted by: Nuvi on November 13, 2008 5:39 PM | Reply to This Comment
Don't think I have read about that. Could you explain?

Posted by: gatorguy on November 13, 2008 8:07 PM | Reply to This Comment
Some on Amazon.com's review pages for Nuvi 755T and 765T said that their unit goes black or reboots sometimes.

See the 755T page then sort the reviews by date, newest first. There's a review by Franklin:

"... The unit went black every time i tried to pull up The map. ... the unit says recalculating 3 times than commits some kind of electronic suicide and shuts itself down"

and a comment to his review:

"unit goes black for example when traffic or traffic ads show up. Then the unit keeps restarting and restarting again until I unplug the traffic receiver... w/o traffic and on battery the unit is fine."

I'm curious if others have seen this too.

Posted by: Kelly on November 13, 2008 8:15 PM | Reply to This Comment
I'll take a look. If it's a single report, I wouldn't be concerned, as that would be more likely to be just a "rogue" defect in that particular pnd. More than one might indicate some issue. I know in the dozens of user reports I've read in the various forums I frequent, I've don't recall never seeing it mentioned before.

Posted by: gatorguy on November 14, 2008 8:04 AM | Reply to This Comment
Yes, my 755T (v2.50) also having the restarting issues if I enabled "Proximity Alerts".

Posted by: Mohammad Bahathir Hashim on November 15, 2008 11:15 AM | Reply to This Comment
What are proximity alerts? Traffic/detours/accidents?

Posted by: Joe on November 15, 2008 2:07 PM | Reply to This Comment
A proximity alert is an alert you can set up to warn you of certain kinds of POIs.

Say you are Canadian, you might want to be alerted whenever you pass within 500 yards of a Tim Hortons. Smile

I use proximity alerts to warn me of speed and redlight camera locations.

Posted by: LordHamster on November 15, 2008 2:43 PM | Reply to This Comment
Thanks! If that is what is causing restarts I could live without it. Smile

Posted by: Joe on November 15, 2008 4:51 PM | Reply to This Comment
Last night, I updated several modules (gps, GTM and Proximity Alerts) using webupdater, and it is looking good. Stiil need some more testing.

TQ.

Posted by: Mohammad Bahathir Hashim on November 17, 2008 3:27 AM | Reply to This Comment
I installed the update today and the difference for me is huge. Previously I had had quite a bit of trouble with the screen being non-responsive. I would have to press quite hard or press several times for the screen to register. This has changed completely now. The screen responds to my touch just as well as my iPhone does. Very happy with this update.

Posted by: JeffR on November 19, 2008 6:27 PM | Reply to This Comment
The features on this model do look very promising but...
It looks like Garmin never tested the software thourougly!
When switching on the POI proximity alert feature, approaching certain POI's cause a reboot of the system.
The Custom Routes feature (with which the system automaticaly calculates the most economic way between a series of intermediate route points) also does not work properly; the final destination point is removed from the list and replaced with an indermediate point during the calculation process.
That is with software version 2.50 installed.
Tech support promised to work on the issues but never gave a due by date.
Garmin should do their homework.

Posted by: VIM on November 24, 2008 8:17 AM | Reply to This Comment
I have a new Garmin 755T and am having problems with road lock. When i enter a highway, the Garmin still thinks i'm on the feeder road. Likewise, when i exit the highway, it thinks i'm still on it and it thinks i've missed my exit, thus recalculating. Is anyone else aware of this problem and is there a fix for it? I've updated to version 2.5 and am still having this problem.

Posted by: AdamS on November 25, 2008 6:05 AM | Reply to This Comment
TomTom 940
www.bongiovi.co.uk
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I resemble some of those remarks! Me Me Me
Waynesters
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gator Guy

did you get your Garmin Unit sorted out ok?
is it still restarting itself? mine is !!!
Grrrrrrrrr
TomTom 940
www.bongiovi.co.uk
Waynesters
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i keep looking at the TomTom Go 930T model!
just want to know IF im making a big mistake with possibly going back to TomTom

anyone ?
TomTom 940
www.bongiovi.co.uk
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waynesters wrote:
i keep looking at the TomTom Go 930T model!
just want to know IF im making a big mistake with possibly going back to TomTom

Why a 930? Do you need US maps? As I've said before, I'd consider a 720/730 as the ideal alternative.
Waynesters
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took my Garmin Nuvi 765T back to Halfords today and got a straight swap for a brand new one due to re-booting issue i have been having...

i rang Garmin after i swapped it and asked again if they had heard of these re-starting and re-booting issues, their answer this time was YES now! Shocked
a few days ago i asked the same question and the answer was a NO Mad
im told that they are working on a Firmware fix to be released soon.
the Tech Support advisor said the re-booting was caused by the 3D Map settings being Enabled, this is what gives you the Fancy 3D images on the Maps in some towns..
you can disable it by going to TOOLS - SETTINGS - MAP - then you click at the top to turn off the "ticked box"
i have done the above and so far so good, i dont need the 3D stuff and when they have fixed it i will re-enable it

so glad i didnt have to get a TomTom now Very Happy

also got some replies from other users of this unit here, hope this helps other owners of this model
http://www.avforums.com/forums/satellite-navigation-sat-nav/875385-problem-my-garmin-nuvi-765t-thoughts.html

thanks for all your help on here, much much appreciated Very Happy
TomTom 940
www.bongiovi.co.uk
letmeboogey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Garmin 765T Reply with quote

Hi

I purchased the Garmin 765 and i am pretty pleased and the fact that Garmin have acknowledged why the system keeps re-starting is due to the 3d Building software, which they are working on a fix for but for the time being to switch off the 3D building option, which can be done and had no issues.

Navtec have annoyed me, in that last years maps i could find my address with the new postocde that postoffice had changed to, but now i can still find it but does not show the address details, but shows full details if i use the old postcode, secondly the why remove several car parking POI's from the 2009 maps which were there in 2008. It is funny they have removed the parking sites for Cambridge's major shopping centre car parks, which is ridiculous e.g Lionyard now know as the grand arcade.Lets hope they pull their fingers out.

Regards
Letmeboogey

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: