Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Go 500: Near the end of its life?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Go 500: Near the end of its life?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chookman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Go 500: Near the end of its life? Reply with quote

I have a Go 500 that I bought in mid 2005. I have kept it pretty much up to date: it has App 7.900 and Map 710.1571. Whilst it has behaved very well up to now it has started to behave somewhat oddly. The symptoms are:

1. Although it connects to my phone - a Nokia 6230i - it will not connect to the TomTom PLUS services. The error messages vary. The first one that I received was to the effect that the services was for the exclusive use of another device. Subsequently the message has been that it could not connect to PLUS services and that I should check the phone. I have done this by establishing a connection with both another Go 500 and also with a Rider 2.

2. I now cannot connect the device to the computer to use TomTom HOME. When asked if I want to connect to the computer and touch the "Yes" button, the screen blanks out. If I then briefly press the "On/Off" button, the screen comes to life but no connection is made and the screen remains frozen.

Follwing advice from theTomTom customer services support people I have purged the flash memory on the device and tried a 20 second reset, but to no effect.

This is all rather vexing as I have only just renewed my Traffic subscription (last evening!) and could really do without having to replace the device. Therefore any advice about how to revive the product would be very gratefully received.

Many thanks!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From your signature, it looks as though you have two GO500s and if that is the case, perhaps you have juggled them around? Or maybe just juggling them in Home?

I can't think why you have problems with Nokia 6230i - I have one and it's so old it is completely compatible with the GO!

To revive - How good backups do you have? Hopefully with Windows Explorer. If so, try deleting, formatting and restoring. Maybe first do another backup.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Stecha
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't bin your 500 yet, those symptoms sound like 7.900 firmware bugs that most people are experiencing, especially the connecting to home one.
I have a 700 and the 7.900 firmware and have to switch it on again every time I connect to my PC. The home freezing things may just be home playing up, which I have also encountered a couple of times.
chookman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for your prompt replies (would that TomTom support could be so quick - but they possibly have a larger customer base to deal with Laughing )

@ Dennis: I do indeed have two Go 500s and manage both using the Home application. I have always been very careful to avoid linking up with the wrong device there. However, I thought that it was possible to have more than one device attached to the TomTom account. It now seems that this is not possible and I have created separate account for each of my devices (I also have a Rider 2). When I contacted the TT support guys I was assured that the Traffic subscription had been applied to the correct device. I do have backups, though they are from before I started to have this problem so perhaps a regression to the previous state for each device would be a good place to start.

@ Stecha: I certainly hope I won't have to bein one of the devices! In a funny sort of way it's good to know that people are experiencing difficulties with this firmware. It helps to allay the concern that my problems might just be down to a 'senior moment' Laughing
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want basic navigation and aren't swayed by extra bells and whistles, I'd keep hold of those 500s.

And if you are used to the sound quality from them, you'll be disappointed with everything since... they've never been bettered for that.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
If you want basic navigation and aren't swayed by extra bells and whistles, I'd keep hold of those 500s.

And if you are used to the sound quality from them, you'll be disappointed with everything since... they've never been bettered for that.

I'll second that - my GO700 was unsurpassed and now belongs to my son in law, who is tempting my thieving instincts every time I see him - I'm even seriously considering offering him my 720 for it.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
chookman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Dennis and Andy. So much for "New and Improved Products"!

After several attempts I have now managed to revive my device. The suggestions from the TomTom support team were only partly helpful but being a cautious soul I didn't delete the folders that they thought I should - I moved and re-named them. Had I not done so I would have lost a map update bought earlier this year!

It never rains - it pours. One of the distractions whilst trying to revive ny device was a broken windscreen. The original screen was replaced by an athermic screen so, although my Go 500 worked fine in my wife's car, it was pants in my own vehicle. I have now ordered an external antenna so that my device will work properly.

Once again, many thanks for your help!

Colin
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put the external aerial in front of your rear view mirror as this area is often left devoid of the athermic coating and it will aid reception, route the cable around the edge of the screen pushing it under the trim to keep it out of sight - Mike
chookman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the tip Mike, I'll try that one. (I don't like the idea of siting the antena outside the car.) I hope that there is enough cable to allow routing it from the bottom centre of the screen round to the top centre!
Antoeknee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using a TT500 thats still going strong. Its fully upto date, app and maps.

I use an 'external' antenna as my screen is heated and although the TT would get a sat lock it tended to lose it when there was some trees/buildings.

The cable is certainly long enough I have the antenna sat inside the car on the rear parcel shelf and still have to coil loads of excess cable. Sat lock is excellent and only tunnels now cause a loss of lock.

I previously used a 6230i with my 500 and there was never a problem. I now use a N73 and the only thing I've found is that when the app gets updated the connection seems to be unreliable. If the connection is deleted and then recreated everything is fine again.
chookman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's encouraging Antoeknee. Many maufacturers seem to be somewhat parsimonious with the length of lead they supply.

My 'main' setup is a 500 paired with a 6230i too, and have found it to be quite reliable. I think that I've got the latest App (7.903) but my map is a bit out of date (UK and RoI v710) I'm going to update the map next year and will get the European version (my son has decided to get married in Italy next year!).

My spare device (used by various members of the family) is a 500 paired to an elderly 6810. This is not kept completely up-to-date and is currently at App 7.900 with the GB Plus Map v605.

The latest addition to my collection is a Rider 2 that I have been very impressed with. This is also paired to the 6230i and is kept fully up-to-date.
Antoeknee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have said my car is a Mondeo so the cable will be long enough for any car.

The antenna is on the rear parcel shelf and the cable runs behind the rear door trim along the trim at the base of the doors and up to the glove box, all neaty tucked away. The mount is in the glove box when not in use and I've left enough of the cable uncoiled so that I can just take it out for use.

In fact there was a lot of discussion from people who wanted to reduce the length of the cable. Though this was not considered viable due to the cable/connection.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: