Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - nuvi 360
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

nuvi 360

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
foxmartin19
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject: nuvi 360 Reply with quote

hi can anybody please help i cannot download anything to my nuvi be it camera updates vehicles what ever when i do try i get the message "media is write protected".This is my second unit from Garmin as my first one did exactly the same.It appears it might be some thing with my computer as i was able to download something on my friends computer.I did not have a problem with my previous sat nav and this is driving me nuts.I am using XP and have downloaded webupdater and POI loader.
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: nuvi 360 Reply with quote

Intriguing ...

Are you sure you're selecting the Nüvi and it's not found a USB memory stick, or card reader by accident?

Do you have an SD card in the Nüvi? and if so, is it write-protected?

What happens if you trying writing data to the Nüvi with other programs?

What about running CHKDSK against the Nüvi drive - what does that show?

Could it be some sort of virus-checker (or similar 'security' software) issue ?

Does the POI Loader 'Custom Folder' option work? (as opposed to selecting 'Garmin Device')
foxmartin19
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil, thanks for your interest.

Yes i am selecting "nuvi"after it shows and i do not have an SD card in the nuvi (i had been wondering if that might have some thing to do with the problem but discounted it).

I have tried writing data to it just using a normal programme through XP but get the same message come up.

I have not run "CHKDSK" as i did not even know what that was to start with but guess that is a "CHECK DISK" programme, used through selecting "run" and putting "CHKDSK" in.

I don't think it is a security software programme but i am not too well versed with computers and i am self taut in using one so would not really know.

I have not tried "custom folder" option but i will try it and let you know.

Thanks again for your interest and reply.
Martin.
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

foxmartin19 wrote:
I have tried writing data to it just using a normal programme through XP but get the same message come up.

OK - so we can discount it being a specifically Garmin software issue.
and he wrote:
I have not run "CHKDSK" as i did not even know what that was to start with but guess that is a "CHECK DISK" programme, used through selecting "run" and putting "CHKDSK" in.

Yes - but you may be more comfortable using Windows Explorer; right-click the device and choose 'Properties', then the 'Error-checking' option on the "Tools" tab.

Googling around, there are a surprising number of people who have had the same issue with USB memory sticks. This thread is typical: Arrow http://www.neowin.net/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t517625.html

Unfortunately, the solution provided didn't work for the poster, but it might for you (though you wouldn't want to format your Nüvi, without a backup - and I can't see it being necessary anyway).

Also, worth trying, is a different USB port on your PC.
foxmartin19
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil
Just to let you know i tried another port (several in fact) to no avail but did do a CHKDSK test and this is the report if it is any help,
Warning! F parameter not specified
Running CHKDSK in read-only mode
CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3).....
File verification completed
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)
Index verification completed
Index is recovering lost files
CHKDSK is verifying security discriptors
Security discriptors completed (3 of 3)
Security is verifying Usn journals
Usn journals verified
I have also used a different cable to connect to my PC just in case that was a problem.
Tried again to download data and a box came up saying copy this to clipboard and send to Garmin (techsupp@garmin.com) which i have done
and if i knew how to i would send it to you also but can't see how to "attach" here.
Hope this may help you to decide what the problem is,
Martin.[/img]
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The presence of the lost files suggests that at some point the Nüvi was disconnected while a file transfer was in process OR the device is 'optimised for performance', not 'safe removal'.

The lost files are probably a symptom, rather than the cause of your problem, but they should be tidied up (By running CHKDSK /F, or its equivalent in Explorer). Make a backup of the Nüvi first, if you haven't already done so!

Did you try the suggestion on the page I linked to - about altering the policy for the Nüvi drive?

If that doesn't fix it, I would try removing the Nüvi device and the associated Sd card in Device Manager, and then replugging it, so that it is rediscovered.

UPDATE - something else to check.

Using RegEdit.exe, check to see if the following Registry value exists:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies\WriteProtect

If it does , set the value to "0", or delete the key altogether. Apparently, this was introduced in Windows XP SP2. Setting the value to "1" write-protects USB devices, the next time they are inserted. It works quite well - all my Garmins, memory cards, usb memory sticks are now Write-protected Smile

Something (malicious or otherwise) might have added this setting to your system.

I found a utility that can turn this feature on and off as required, if anyone has a use for it:
Arrow http://www.dsionline.biz/usb_writeblock.htm
foxmartin19
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil
Well what a great guy you are! after months of trying all sorts of suggestions and having recently had a chap here who is supposed to be good with computers YOU are the one to "crack it".
I followed your advise on going into the registry via regedit.exe and followed your instuctions and found the "key" which was indeed set to (1).
I tentively found how to change the value to (0) and hey presto i am now able to download data.
I am so pleased and very grateful to you for your help, interest and time you have taken to assist me in finding and solving this problem.
Thank you very much indeed you have made my day,best wishes Martin.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: