Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 930T Query
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 930T Query

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kbv1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: TomTom 930T Query Reply with quote

Hi

I currently have a tomtom go 300 and i think it has come to the time where i upgrade. I have been looking at the TomTOm Go 930T (as i wants US maps for when i go away).

Looking on tomtom website its ntw showing the 930T.. has this been stopped or is it just because 940 Live has come out? (btw im not paying 450 for the live one Laughing Out Loud)

Are the 930T's any good, i cant find a review on this website? Hope someone can provide me with some more info on the 930T. The cheapest i have found it for is £304 from comet, is there anywhere cheaper?

Thanks Smile
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 930 is a decent PNA, have a read of the review Here - Mike
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if you can find a 920 on sale anywhere, it could be much cheaper for essentially the same device as the 930. All you need to do is update the software to v8 using Home, and then use the Latest Map Guarantee to bring the maps up to date.
kbv1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daggers wrote:
And if you can find a 920 on sale anywhere, it could be much cheaper for essentially the same device as the 930. All you need to do is update the software to v8 using Home, and then use the Latest Map Guarantee to bring the maps up to date.

Latest Map Guarantee... whats that? How come te 920 is nearly the same as 930T? Iv found the 920T for 188£ and the 930T for £293.48 @ http://www.purelygps.co.uk.

Anyone know where it maybe cheaper or that the cheapest?

Couple of thing i would like to ask also if someone could answer them:

With the 930T does that come with the 3D easy lane director for motoways and stuff?

How does the traffic part work with the Ariel provided?

Also is the 930T discontinued as its quiet difficult to find as major stores like dixons, comet and curry's do not sell them.. if it is discontinued do you know why?

Many Thanks :D
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kbv1 wrote:
Latest Map Guarantee... whats that?

New TomToms come with a guarantee that they can be updated once to the latest version of the map within 30 days of purchase. This is normally done through TomTom Home.

kbv1 wrote:
How come te 920 is nearly the same as 930T? Iv found the 920T for 188£ and the 930T for £293.48 @ http://www.purelygps.co.uk.

The 930 was introduced after the 920, with updated software & maps. Physically, the 2 models are virtully identical. The 920 can be updated to 930 spec just by installing updated software (free) and using the Latest Map Guarantee. Make sure the 920T you have found is a new model, or a TomTom refurb before you buy - otherwise the LMG may not apply.

kbv1 wrote:
With the 930T does that come with the 3D easy lane director for motoways and stuff?

Yes, but so does the 920T, once it has been updated to version 8 software.

kbv1 wrote:
How does the traffic part work with the Ariel provided?

The RDS-TMC aerial is a radio receiver, which receives FM signals over the airwaves. You just plug it into the bottom of your TomTom, and away you go.

kbv1 wrote:
Also is the 930T discontinued as its quiet difficult to find as major stores like dixons, comet and curry's do not sell them.. if it is discontinued do you know why?

Not discontinued as far as I know. However, TT have brought out newer x40 models which are probably being marketed harder.
kbv1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all that info... what is the difference between the 920T and the 930T if any?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daggers wrote:
kbv1 wrote:

Not discontinued as far as I know. However, TT have brought out newer x40 models which are probably being marketed harder.

I'm not so sure. When the x40's were launched TT removed all the x30's from their website prompting questions. I asked TT what the status was and they replied cryptically that the 530 and 730 were now on the website. Since then the 930 has been absent and they have avoided answering further questions on its status.
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kbv1 wrote:
Thanks for all that info... what is the difference between the 920T and the 930T if any?

The only physical difference between the two is the colour of the trim.

... and the fact that you have to do a little bit of work to get (free) newer versions software/maps installed onto the device.
platinum
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: 920 T Firmware Advice Reply with quote

Can anyone clarify what i need to do ? I have just ordered a G0920T and would have liked the Advanced Lane Guidance, having read up on this it seams i can get it if I :

Back up my System
Update the Firmware to V8.3
Down load the latest Maps V8.15 or above using my free map upgrade

Questiones i have are:

Do i need to download the 920 or 930 updates, (mines is a 920T)

If it is the 930 will the Traffic still work i get the impression there is a difference in the way this works between the 920/930

Where can i find the relevant info ref back up and installation

any advice would be welcome

Alan
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan, you will be using TomTom Home to update the device and that will sort out which software versions to download for your device.

1/ Back up the unit using Windows Explorer

2/ Update to Navcore 8,300 (or higher if/ when available) using HOME

3/ Use LMG for your free map update to v815 maps

4/ Back up the device using Windows Explorer

5/ Customise the device with speed camera files/ alerts etc.

6/ Enjoy using the unit.

Where you have seen people downloading files/ updates intended for use on other devices I would avoid doing this until you are quite happy and comfortable with the device and the PC.

99% of users will simply use the device as supplied with a few updates etc, they won't mess around installing other software versions to the device intended for other equipment. There is nothing wrong with playing around with the device in this way, but I would only use TomTom Home for this initial update, as long as you have the Windows Explorer backups you can always revert the device back to a working configuration if you decide to play with the unit - Mike
Steveee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan, I actively use a 920T on relatively long trips so say this with a little practical experience.

I concur with everything Mike says. I suggest that you follow the steps he laid out very carefully. I suspect that if you upgraded to Navcore 8,300 in the same session as using the LMG there is a risk Home may offer you a differnt map as it has captured you are running Navcore 7,240 or something similar. Confused

I suggest you upgrade to Navcore 8,300 and disconnect from Home. Only use the LMG when you are confident Navcore 8,300 is installed and working.

There are a few (I consider minor) issues with the 920T when upgraded to Navcore 8,300 and v815 maps. Some people have reported the computer voice stutters when reading directions and road names. I too have experienced this problem, however after re-installing Navcore 8,300 the problem went away! Very Happy

Also you will not be able to transfer over your favourites from the GO 300 as the mapconfig files will be incompatible. The best way to do this is on the GO300 transfer all your favourites into a POI file. This POI file can be transferred onto the 920T.

Hope this helps.
GO 920 (retired)
Garmin Oregon 550T
Garmin Drivesmart
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 920 T Firmware Advice Reply with quote

platinum wrote:

Do i need to download the 920 or 930 updates, (mines is a 920T)

920T is just a 920 with an additional Traffic receiver.

platinum wrote:
If it is the 930 will the Traffic still work i get the impression there is a difference in the way this works between the 920/930

Just plug in the receiver and the Traffic data should start automatically (provided you're in an area with good RDS TMC coverage). I don't believe there's any difference between 920 & 930 as far as Traffic is concerned.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: