Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Your database
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Your database

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daimlerv8
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Your database Reply with quote

It has got to be the craziest data base i have ever come across in my life.
To download the latest database is practically impossible to follow
i am so sorry that i have been crazy enough to subscribe to something i cannot work,understand,or download, without hours of trying to do as asked and ending up in a dead end with no explanation of what to do or if i have succeeded in downloading the thing.......god only knows what its going to take to install it on my sat nav equipment.......it even takes me to a Tom Tom site to purchase their equivalent........oh how i wish i had know about that one..........i suppose i'm not on my own......
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i suppose I'm not on my own......

Well nearly, yes you are. Many thousands of people download the database every year without problems. Some people experience problems but they are easily sorted IF you tell where it's not working for you.

I assume you have subscribed?

If so goto this page which is accessible using the big Speed Camera icon at the top left of any page.

Once there select TomTom OV2 from the list in the middle of the page and click Continue.

Then select the database type from the next list and click Continue. The database should then download.

Then all you do is unzip the download to the map folder on your TomTom.

Full instructions are here or here if you have Text To Speech.

Last edited by PaulB2005 on Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had you clicked the correct link on the Help Table it would have taken you to This Page, have a read through the instructions and please tell us which part you are having an issue with.

The links to the manufacturers sites should be removed in my opinion as they only clutter the help table up and are easily clicked in error - Mike
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You seem to have been able to do it before.... click here or did you not get it working then?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By contrast, I find it the most sensible database I have ever come across in my life. There are literally many thousands of people who download and install it every day of the week without descending into the depths of depression and despair.

I first downloaded it in 2005, after reading the instructions which were entirely sufficient for me to get it right first time. I was, of course, a mere youngster of 66 at the time, so I must have been simply naturally brilliant.

It seems that you did actually succeed in downloading and installing this database to a GO910 back in September, so what's gone wrong with your ability since then?

Calm down, prepare yourself for a bit of patient following of instructions and we'll talk you through it one step at a time if you are prepared to pay attention.

If you are, first confirm what satnav you've got?
Second, you are surely able to start and use Windows Explorer?
Third, you are able to connect your satnav to your PC using a USB cable?

That's all you need. Have you got them, do you want to be guided through it? Oh and finally, if you prefer person to person contact, how'd you like to ring my mobile and I'll personally talk you through it if you can afford the phone bill?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you had explained your issue, asked for help and still been confused then I could understand your attitude but you haven't!

If it was as difficult as you seem to think then we would not have the many thousands of happy and loyal members who recognise that our database is the best and that our reputation is deserved. We try to help as much as we can when anyone has an issue, no matter what time of day or time of year but if you don't ask then we can't help.

So now you have vented, let us know what it is you are finding so difficult and we can endeavour to help you. We need to know what type of GPS you have and where you are getting confused or stuck?
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Your database Reply with quote

daimlerv8 wrote:
It has got to be the craziest data base i have ever come across in my life.
To download the latest database is practically impossible to follow
i am so sorry that i have been crazy enough to subscribe to something i cannot work,understand,or download, without hours of trying to do as asked and ending up in a dead end with no explanation of what to do or if i have succeeded in downloading the thing.......god only knows what its going to take to install it on my sat nav equipment.......it even takes me to a Tom Tom site to purchase their equivalent........oh how i wish i had know about that one..........i suppose i'm not on my own......
I took it from your reply to Richard
daimlerv8 wrote:
Many thanks Oldboy. it did help,.....took a while but i ended up with more than i thought possible............really pleased Very Happy
that, although you hadn't replied to Paul, the advice that he gave you here
PaulB2005 wrote:
Try the Speed Zoned Database which will show a speed limit icon for each location, instead of a camera icon.

Does that help?
had solved your problems! Your blunderbuss approach, of asking for help in several threads at once, does make it difficult to keep track Laughing.
Now that you've got our attention in this thread, I'd suggest that you stick to this one for the time being, until we get you sorted out.
As Dennis has said, many thousands are downloading the database every day, so it isn't impossible, but it can be confusing for a beginner. Can we presume that you are still using the TT910 and are trying to follow the instructions on this page? Please let us know where you get to, what difficulty you are having, and what, if any, error messages you are seeing.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I presume daimlerv8 has lost his voice then?
BristleBob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installed the Camera Database from here yesterday with the voice files with the quieter siren, and I am very impressed. It picked a camera up fairly local to me in Bristol that I never knew existed and does not show on the TT540, and warned of another one that was not showing with TT as well. Suprisingly the 2nd one did show on my old TT 510, but not on the 540? And I like the voice warning with the siren, really brings it to your attention. Well worth the subscription! Very Happy
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:
I presume daimlerv8 has lost his voice then?

It has got to be the craziest voice he has ever come across in his life. To download the latest voice is practically impossible to follow. He is so sorry that he has been crazy enough to subscribe to something he cannot work, understand or download.

I offered him telephone one-on-one support and he hasn't reacted. What more can we do?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: