Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help - Roll back of 8.300 to 8.010 on 730t
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help - Roll back of 8.300 to 8.010 on 730t

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rgskater
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Help - Roll back of 8.300 to 8.010 on 730t Reply with quote

Recently I upgraded the firmware on my TomTom 730T to 8.300. As has been mentioned many times, the accompanying release notes were extremely vague so thought nothing of installing it.

After first using the device and nearly being deafened by the increase in volume I noticed a number of problems, which included the volume was not adjusting up and down with the noise in the interior of my car as efficiently as it did before the upgrade. The worst thing though was recalculating routes. Previously if I ever missed a turn off, the device was almost instant at recalculating the route. Now with 8.300 I was finding it could take anywhere between 10 and 25 seconds to recalculate even if it only meant taking the next turning to re-join the calculated route. This caused me some serious problems, one which resulted in me getting stuck on a new one way system in an area I don’t know because it took so long to recalculate. For me the very few positives of the new firmware are far out weighed by the negatives and TomTom should have provided detailed release notes. I understand why they didn’t now!

Stupidly, I didn’t make a backup (I had one backup which has 8/010 but this had the map before the v805 one, which I currently have) and have trawled through various forums and saw on this one that the least complicated way to possibly roll back might be to get TomTom Home to roll back to a previous firmware application if it is stored on your computer.

When I launch TomTom Home with device connected and go to “Items on my computer” it does have 8.010 and 8.300 with an add button by each one, so I gave it a try and pressed the add by the 8.010 application to see if it would work and roll back automatically from 8.300 and it did seemingly without a problem.

I have a few concerns/worries though that some kind person here might be able to clear up for me.

After doing the “roll back” all of my favourites were no longer on my 730 and neither were any of the “recent destinations”. The one POI that I had manually added a long time ago has also disappeared. Is this normal and is there anything more hidden that has likely been deleted too?

Also, there is another issue is that in “Show contents of my device” on TomTom Home, firmware version 8.010 shows as being: 20.8 mb in size on my device. However, if I go in to the “Add maps, Traffic, Voices etc” and then go in to “Items on my computer” it shows under the Application menu that 8.010 is 44.8 mb (and the 8.300 that I rolled back from is 46.4 mb). Is there any reason why these are so different as I’m worried now why there appears to be 24 mb of data difference between 8.010 on my device and 8.010 on my computer. My concern is that as it is so much less in size on my device that it may have missed things out, I hope I’m wrong, it just seems really bizarre.

Also what is weird is that the map size shows is 1558.1 mb on my device but shows as 1707.8 mb on the “Items on my computer”.

I would be really grateful if anyone could kindly clear this up for me and put my mind at rest or, tell me that there must be something wrong or point me in the right direction.

I’m sorry for rambling on and on and hope I make sense!

I’m running TomTom Home version 2.4.0.104, have a 730T using map v805.1801 and now Application 8.010 (9369/080529).

Thanks
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My reply on another forum:

Quote:
Stupidly, I didn’t make a backup

Have you made one now?

Quote:
After doing the “roll back” all of my favourites were no longer on my 730 and neither were any of the “recent destinations”.

Favourites and recent destinations are all stored in one file and the format of that file changed in v8.300 so it has to be recreated from scratch. Home isn't clever enough to copy the contents from one to the other.
If you are desperate for your favourites or other places, there are ways to recover them, but it's best to just start with the fresh file.

Quote:
“Show contents of my device” on TomTom Home, firmware version 8.010 shows as being: 20.8 mb in size on my device. However, if I go in to the “Add maps, Traffic, Voices etc” and then go in to “Items on my computer” it shows under the Application menu that 8.010 is 44.8 mb

On mine v8.300 shows as:
38.9MB in Show contents of my Go, and as:
46.4MB in Add maps,Traffic, voices etc/Items on my computer

and one of my maps (W+CE 715.1710 "2GB version) shows as:
1657MB in Show contents, and as:
1677MB in Add Maps etc.

...so it's perfectly normal.

The lesson here is simply don't trust Home as far as you can throw it.
Use it for what you have to (updating software and buying maps), but as little as possible for anything else.

But as for your roll-back...if it's working, it worked! If you see what I mean....

Now go make that backup!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: