Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom - what's the best camera alert set up?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom - what's the best camera alert set up?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MichaelMann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Tomtom - what's the best camera alert set up? Reply with quote

What are your views on the best set up for camera alerts? I currently have warnings using the method of adding a zero to the speed, i.e 700 yards for 70 mph but I'm getting quite a few false alerts from parallel roads

Does anyone use a slient voice always plan a route and warn only on route to avoid false alerts. Does anyone use this set up, does it work well?

Are there any other setups to avoid false alerts?
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My set up is more or less like yours. For speeds of 60-70mph I add another 100 yds or so for the mobiles. My reasoning for this is that the new cameras can pick you up from a very long way off, and think it depends on the force area / operator / conditions as to what they set the distance at, so would rather be safe than sorry.

I just put up with the false alarms, keeps me on my toes!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always drive with a route planned and always have "warn only when on route" ticked for all camera types.

You'll still get some false alerts from cameras on roundabouts off motorway slip roads (because TT have re-programmed to include those junctions as part of the "route"), and cameras on the other side of dual carriageways still give alerts if there are any nearby "leaks" from one side to the other, but it sorts out most of them.
I don't bother with the silent voices, but have tried them in the past and they work fine.
Alternatively, if you have the right software/hardware combination, there is now a "disable voice" option that shuts up the navigation but leaves warnings intact (unless of course you're using a text to speech voice for the warnings!). I've always had that option on my 720.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
I always drive with a route planned and always have "warn only when on route" ticked for all camera types.

Is there an easy 'global' way to switch 'warn only when on Route' on/off or am I stuck with changing each poi individually

Andy_P wrote:
Alternatively, if you have the right software/hardware combination, there is now a "disable voice" option that shuts up the navigation but leaves warnings intact (unless of course you're using a text to speech voice for the warnings!). I've always had that option on my 720.

I've upgraded my 520 to the x40 Navcore & managed to get everything working fine using x30 Loquendo. I have the full speedzoned database & I'm using Simon for Navigation. I tried 'disable voice' yesterday but lost everything - should I have lost only navigation which is exactly what I wanted
MichaelMann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll give the warn only on route option a spin to reduce the false alerts
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanS100 wrote:
I tried 'disable voice' yesterday but lost everything - should I have lost only navigation which is exactly what I wanted

If you are also using Simon TTS to do the warnings then, yes, you'll lose the lot, but if you are using a sound effect or recorded voice file then they should still work with th enav. voice disabled.

I have exactly that set-up, and I sneakily use a RECORDED version of the Simon voice for the alerts (available on the download page).

I've got it running a demo route on my desk right now and "Disable voice" does just what you want - no nav instructions but camera alerts still speak.
norm2002
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
If you are also using Simon TTS to do the warnings then, yes, you'll lose the lot, but if you are using a sound effect or recorded voice file then they should still work with th enav. voice disabled.

I have exactly that set-up, and I sneakily use a RECORDED version of the Simon voice for the alerts (available on the download page).

I find it very useful to have Simon (male) for navigation and Liz (ogg files - female - downloaded from this site) for camera warnings. That way, I can sometimes blank out Simon in my mind - eg when he keeps telling me to take the second exit at a roundabout - but when I hear the female voice, I know I have to listen (just like at home!).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: