Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Go 520....does it come with a flash card?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Go 520....does it come with a flash card?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
staggers47
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Go 520....does it come with a flash card? Reply with quote

Confused

Just got a Go 520 today. In the body of the Go there is a plastic dummy card inserted in the flash card slot.

Does it not come with one with the maps on it, like the old Classic did?

Or are they already in internal memory, or what?
carl_the_cobbler
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

520 just has GB & Ireland map, and like you say they are stored on internal memory. If you want a memory card to store other maps etc. on you will need to buy one. The dummy card is to stop dust and other such articles from getting into the cogs and valves!

Cheers

Carl
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything is installed to the internal memory, you can insert an SD or SDHC card to store additional maps, music, pictures or documents, it is also possible to get the application on the SD card and make the device boot from the card rather than the memory (handy if you want to try two different versions of software on the same device) Any files you put on the card need to be placed into correctly named folders, music needs to go into a folder called 'mp3' (without the '') - Mike
staggers47
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Go 520....does it come with a flash card? Reply with quote

Ok, so the answer is that it doesn't. Thought I was going mad for a minute.

Specially since this is the third one I've ordered in 10 days. (I ordered the first 2 through a crappy Amazon outfit, where it turned out to be out of stock, and no-one told me, both times - but they took the dosh right away and I'm now waiting for two refunds.)

Thanks people.

BTW although I didn't specifically order it, I actually got a 520 Business. There's a 12 cam database voucher, and also a new map voucher to be used (once!) by end of June 2009. Is that over and above the 30 Latest Map promise?

Also, to try to avoid the various probs that people seem to have had, what order is it preferable to install software / maps in?

Thanks.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The important thing to do is backup the device using Windows Explorer, see the FAQ page in this forum index near the top its one of the sticky threads.

1. Backup with Wn Explorer
2. Update the application to 8.3 using TomTom Home
3. Update the map to v815

I am not too sure about the map voucher you have most devices only offer one free map upgrade if available in the first 30 days of ownership - Mike
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
I am not too sure about the map voucher you have ...
IIRC it's the TT refurbished units that come with a Map Voucher, and not the Latest Map Upgrade route.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
IIRC it's the TT refurbished units that come with a Map Voucher, and not the Latest Map Upgrade route.

That's correct which suggests you have a refurb, was it advertised as such?
carl_the_cobbler
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't the Business Editions come with an extra voucher that has a time limit on it as suggested by the OP.

Total PDA if you type in "TomTom 520 Business" comes up with the 520 with the following "extras"

See Here

Free Map Upgrade, Valid For 2 Years
Free Safety Camera Upgrade, Valid For 2 Years
Free Dedicated Customer Support

Cheers

Carl

Last edited by carl_the_cobbler on Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl_the_cobbler wrote:
Don't the Business Editions come with an extra voucher that has a time limit on it as suggested by the OP.

Ah quite possibly. TBH I've never heard of a 'Business Edition' before. Dedicated customer support, that's a first!
staggers47
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Business editon Reply with quote

Yup, I do indeed have the Business Edition. It does have this over and above the standard 'Latest Map', so I've just upgraded the software and maps to the latest, got a free 12 month cam subscription, and will be able to upgrade the map for free again in June 2009.

A couple of things while I'm here:

1. I've downloaded several colour schemes via TT Home, and they all apparently installed, but my TT can see only the ones it came with. What do I have to do to enable the new ones?

2. I have a blank sd card. If I create a directory called mp3 on it and put them there, will I need to delete the internal mp3 folder (which only has the demo music on it), so that it finds the directory on the card? Or will it look in both places?
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Business editon Reply with quote

staggers47 wrote:
Yup, I do indeed have the Business Edition. It does have this over and above the standard 'Latest Map', so I've just upgraded the software and maps to the latest, got a free 12 month cam subscription, and will be able to upgrade the map for free again in June 2009.

A couple of things while I'm here:

1. I've downloaded several colour schemes via TT Home, and they all apparently installed, but my TT can see only the ones it came with. What do I have to do to enable the new ones?

2. I have a blank sd card. If I create a directory called mp3 on it and put them there, will I need to delete the internal mp3 folder (which only has the demo music on it), so that it finds the directory on the card? Or will it look in both places?

1. Additional schemes should be located in a folder called 'schemes' (all lower case, no quotes) and have an extension of .clr. They are selected via Preferences--Map Colours and you will see the built in ones available for day and night. If you click advanced, you'll see an icon for dl schemes. Click that icon and you should see the choices to select.

2. You need NOT delete the internal mp3 folder. Your unit will, in effect, combine the two folders so that ALL mp3's will get listed.
staggers47
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Easy when you know how! Reply with quote

Ok, just did that.

They were in the right place, I just didn't go the extra step and hit 'advanced' and then the horrible pic labelled 'Plug in'.

Unfortunately there's no preview pics for these schemes, so I'll just have to try each one to see how they go.

Still, it's working.

Thanks David.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a 520, can I move the original & only map folder to an SDHC & will the TomTom know to look there by default?

I'm thinking about doing this to free up some memory & although I know it won't make any difference to available RAM would moving some or all of the apps to a fast SDHC improve performance ?
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is correct. It will see the map on the card.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Easy when you know how! Reply with quote

staggers47 wrote:

Unfortunately there's no preview pics for these schemes, so I'll just have to try each one to see how they go.

Try http://www.colorschemeeditor.com/index.php?lang=EN for a free/shareware PC editor that will show a preview of your colour scheme files.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: