Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 3 new products in 10 months
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

3 new products in 10 months

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carl_the_cobbler
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: 3 new products in 10 months Reply with quote

From TT website - all taken from Press Releases

Dec 06 2007 - 920T - TomTom GO 920 T Now Available in Stores in the UK

May 07 2008 - 930T - TomTom announces availability of TomTom GO x30 series in UK

Oct 29 2008 - 940T - TomTom puts drivers in control of their journey with ‘connected’ TomTom GO x40 LIVE series

I reckon it is too much too quick, new models are a good thing but 3 in 10 months!!!

Is it all gonna bite them on the bottom?

Can't talk to anyone through their phone number today, maybe they have a shut down week?

Cheers

Carl
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And TomTom just (today) announced a 630 for the States.
AlandEi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the Go X30 series are X20s in a black case... and at a glance, the X40s are a X20/30 with a built in GSM Radio and SIM card...

All with 400Mhz CPUs and 64Mb of Ram... I would have called the X20 to X30 a proper model change had they increased the Ram to say 128Mb, to enable the enhanced mapping and software to run without hitch on the X30 models... and similarly on the X40 models of course, with perhaps a faster CPU as well on this generation of sat navs.

I believe that Tom Tom will struggle to make any of the current Go models work faultlessly with the enhanced features they have promised in recent months, with the introduction of the 8X... software and maps, mainly due to the woefully inadequate Ram installed in a device that was not originally designed for the present "bells and whistles"...

I am sure that they may have to start removing some features from future software updates, to enable others to work reasonably well... and actually upgrade the hardware, rather than just new software releases with future models.

Alan.
Zebb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's many models listed under new maps, perhaps some more new models?

ONE XL S
ONE XL S II
ONE (30 series) / 130
ONE (30 series) TTS / 130S
ONE 3rd Edition S

It's difficult enough trying to find out which one is which at the moment.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlandEi wrote:
I am sure that they may have to start removing some features from future software updates, to enable others to work reasonably well.
They have already been doing this for the last two years! Sneaky start was when they took out a few angles on bends in roads on the maps. And it's gone downhill ever since. In their rush to introduce new marketable features, they have (starting with the x10 range) ignored faults in their software at the price of getting out the latest feature they've dreamed up. Such a shame, because the devices have brilliant features, if only they'd work. Half completed work is being released all the time. "Hands free navigation dialogue" which required several screen taps to start off, then allowed us three voice recognition calls before reverting to taps, was a prime example of hopeless implementation of a terrific idea.

I too am convinced they've broken it now. By sticking with the ancient hardware of processor and RAM and also reducing the internal storage capacity, they've crossed the rubicon of tolerance. I would not be surprised if the x40 turned out to be the last TomTom. I shall be the first to express complete sadness at that, because I've enjoyed the TT devices, despite them becoming less and less stable.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
G4GVB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have hit the nail on the head.... 100% in agreement

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: