Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New 920T - Scratches? Update to new navcore/maps?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New 920T - Scratches? Update to new navcore/maps?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MBGB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: New 920T - Scratches? Update to new navcore/maps? Reply with quote

I've just purchased a new 920T and I have a few questions:

(1) Does the screen scratch? Is it a good idea to get a screen protector before using it?
(2) Is there any advantage to NOT installing home and updating to the latest Navcore/maps? From what I've read, if I have made a backup, I can always return to the original state, so why wait? (I can't imagine there's going to be another map realised for a few months.)
(3) If I want to update to the latest 8.15 maps, do I need to get an 8Gb SD card? (I think I read that there isn't enough space for the US maps and European maps after updating, but I'm not sure.) If I did perform an update, but there was insufficient memory, would I be able to download the
same map in full later for free once I had a large enough memory card?

Thanks.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: New 920T - Scratches? Update to new navcore/maps? Reply with quote

MBGB wrote:
I've just purchased a new 920T and I have a few questions:

(1) Does the screen scratch? Is it a good idea to get a screen protector before using it?

Some use them, some do not. My screen doesn't seem to scratch without one.

Quote:
(2) Is there any advantage to NOT installing home and updating to the latest Navcore/maps? From what I've read, if I have made a backup, I can always return to the original state, so why wait? (I can't imagine there's going to be another map realised for a few months.)

Make sure your backup is done with Explorer, not Home. Ensure hidden files/folders are showing as are extensions for known file types. You NEED firmware 8.3 to use map 8.15 but, as you've read, f/w screws up in many areas including stuttering of computer voices for some; loss of using fm for voice directions for everybody. However, 8.15 is needed for IQ2 routing (which considers the time of day, not just the day of the week). If you want that capacity and can live without fm for voices directions, then you may as well update now. Remember you only have 30 days to take advantage of the LMG. I can't see TT releasing a new map in the next 30 days, either but who knows with TT? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Quote:
(3) If I want to update to the latest 8.15 maps, do I need to get an 8Gb SD card? (I think I read that there isn't enough space for the US maps and European maps after updating, but I'm not sure.) If I did perform an update, but there was insufficient memory, would I be able to download the same map in full later for free once I had a large enough memory card?

A 4-gig card is sufficient and you could save either the NA update or the WE updated map there. However, firmware 8.3 does allow for the use of greater than 4 gig cards without the necessity of a card reader.
Thanks.[/quote]
Steveee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MBGB, Just a few personal responses to your questions. I am currently using a GO 920 now running V8.3 and 815 Western & Central Europe Map v815:

1 I have no experience of the screen scratching as you use your finger rather than a stylus. My son as a One XL for at least a year and the screen whilst showing finger marks is not scratched.

2 Not sure what version of Navcore you are using , but my previous experince was that I needed to change it! I had returned the GO 920 twice and had it replaced as it kept on freezing. Recent experince with V8.3 has been positive. If you are running V8.3 you may as well upgrade maps to v815 to get the full benefit. I assume as this is a new device you will get the map upgrade under the latest map guarantee.

3 You are correct that there will probably won't be enough space to hold both Europe and US maps, especially if you have lots of TT voices installed. I upgraded the US maps using the map guarantee, backed them up to my PC and then deleted them from the GO920. I then upgraded the Western & Central Europe Map and then backed those up as well.

Hope this helps.....
GO 920 (retired)
Garmin Oregon 550T
Garmin Drivesmart
Steveee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to DHN response, I just checked and to install the US Maps (v720) with v815 Western and Central Europe maps already installed, I need to remove 178.3MB. QED you cannot install the latest US & Western and Central Europe maps on a GO920 without additional memory.
GO 920 (retired)
Garmin Oregon 550T
Garmin Drivesmart
MBGB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick, helpful responses, thanks!

Quote:
My screen doesn't seem to scratch without one.

Quote:
I have no experience of the screen scratching as you use your finger rather than a stylus

That's reassuring... I'm assuming you have to use your fingernails to select the keys as I do?

Quote:
Remember you only have 30 days to take advantage of the LMG.

I've read that as until you've installed home, the LMG doesn't begin. Is that incorrect? I'm not sure I want to risk it in anycase.

Quote:
I upgraded the US maps using the map guarantee, backed them up to my PC and then deleted them from the GO920. I then upgraded the Western & Central Europe Map and then backed those up as well.

I've never done this before so to clarify: under the LMG, do you get both US and Central European maps updated for free (or do you get one and have to pay for the other one)? [From what you've said it looks as though you update each map individually, whereas I had anticipated all the maps being updated automatically.]
Hughesynights
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steveee wrote:
Further to DHN response, I just checked and to install the US Maps (v720) with v815 Western and Central Europe maps already installed, I need to remove 178.3MB. QED you cannot install the latest US & Western and Central Europe maps on a GO920 without additional memory.

You can install both map upgrades on the internal memory.
I've got both 815 maps on my 920. You have to delete (use Home so it stores a copy) the foreign TTS voices. They are about 50 Mb each, so it creates plenty of space. Also delete the sample mp3s and splash screens.
I've still got over 100 Mb free.

I've just put in a 4 Gb SD card, but only to store music, it isn't necessary to store any map files on it.
Steveee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only comment on my GO920, but according to TT Home, after installing v815 Western and Central Europe maps I need to free 178.3MB to reinstall V720 US maps. I have already removed all non-English TT voices. Perhaps v815 US maps are smaller than v720 US maps?

With regards LMG, this is a guarantee for all maps your TT was supplied with. I bought my TT GO 920 in June with v710 maps. The LMG gave me v720 maps. I recently paid for v815 map for Western and Central Europe (I do not travel to the uS very often) using the new map update service, i.e. only paid £19.90 to update the Western and Central Europe maps from v720 to v815. I did this as I can get the full use of the new operating system.

Assuming LMG works for you, you should get both maps at v815. However the LMG is not reliable. Wink It does not work automatically for everyone. If you do not get offered the latest map, contact TT customer service. You will also have to send them a copy of your receipt and the serial number of the device. If you can get the receipt scanned it can all be done online.
GO 920 (retired)
Garmin Oregon 550T
Garmin Drivesmart
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never needed to remove a map from my 720 as the new one has always just overwritten the old. I have always copied the old one to the PC with explorer first though, along with a complete backup, just so I have it in case of problems with the new map.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MBGB wrote:

Quote:
My screen doesn't seem to scratch without one.

Quote:
I have no experience of the screen scratching as you use your finger rather than a stylus

That's reassuring... I'm assuming you have to use your fingernails to select the keys as I do?

That's what I do all the time (fat fingers). No problems with scratching.
But I have seen quite a few people on the forums who have had problems with "phantom screen presses" when they *have* used a protector.

Quote:
I've read that as until you've installed home, the LMG doesn't begin. Is that incorrect? I'm not sure I want to risk it in anycase.

I believe thet to be the case (how else would it know?)
But if something doesn't go according to plan and you have to ask TT to sort it out manually, the first thing they will ask you for is your receipt as proof of purchase, so it could get awkward.

Quote:
I've never done this before so to clarify: under the LMG, do you get both US and Central European maps updated for free (or do you get one and have to pay for the other one)?

There was quite a discussion about this a while back. At first, the LMG was only giving people ONE of their maps, but under "pressure" TT were eventually relenting and assigning the other map to people's accounts.
I don't know for sure if that is still the only way to get both maps or whether it happens automatically via Home now, but at least there are precedents of people being given both, if you have to start complaining!

Calomax wrote:
I have never needed to remove a map from my 720 as the new one has always just overwritten the old.

This is something that Home now tries to do rather better than it did before.
AFAIK, what happens now is that if the new map is a direct replacement for the old one (i.e. same folder name) it will overwrite the old one. If it is not, it will put it alongside the old one.
In either case, if there is not enough space available, it will pause the installation and give suggestions on how to proceed.
MBGB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. I'll have a go at upgrading at the weekend.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: