Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - tomtom 520/530/540
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

tomtom 520/530/540

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonbunk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: tomtom 520/530/540 Reply with quote

Hi appreciate some guidance from those already using either TomTom or Garmin.

Would like to buy a SatNav, have narrowed it down to TomTom - just seem better from feedback and easy to operate. Good choice?

I only want it for the UK, should I buy the GO 520, GO 530 or GO 540 Live.

From what I've been able to see on the websites, it looks like with the 30 day map guarantee that there is no difference in the 520 and 530 except some £60-£100.

The only difference I can see with the 540 live is that 1)It's live but you have to pay monthly to have the functionality 2) The voice commands are more comprehensive. 3) It costs £120 more than the 520

I assume I can pay a monthly subscription on the 520 get speed camera updates and live traffic divert / updates bthrough my mobile - a NOKIA 6230i?

Which one should I buy? And have I missed anything which you'd suggest I should reconsider?

Thanks, Jonathan
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: tomtom 520/530/540 Reply with quote

jonbunk wrote:
I only want it for the UK, should I buy the GO 520, GO 530 or GO 540 Live.

From what I've been able to see on the websites, it looks like with the 30 day map guarantee that there is no difference in the 520 and 530 except some £60-£100.

Welcome! The 520/720/920 devices have now been superceded by their x30 equivalents. A new x20 model can be updated to the equivalent x30 spec FREE and will result in a substantial saving but stock is low so they are few and far between now.
Quote:
The only difference I can see with the 540 live is that 1)It's live but you have to pay monthly to have the functionality 2) The voice commands are more comprehensive. 3) It costs £120 more than the 520

That's about the size of it. In fact the x40's have a lower spec with only the 940 having the ability to play mp3's whereas all the x20/x30 models have this feature.
Quote:
I assume I can pay a monthly subscription on the 520 get speed camera updates and live traffic divert / updates bthrough my mobile - a NOKIA 6230i?

You can, or you could buy the RDS-TMC antenna for Traffic updates. As for speed cameras, ours are cheaper and very much more comprehensive as many here will attest.
jonbunk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. If it was your money what would you buy? The 520 with traffic receiver and then subscribe to your camera alerts? Or a different model/make? Is the traffic receiver good and will it re-route me?

What do I need to do to subscribe to the camera alerts, is it safe to subscribe and not use Tomtom recommended, if so how much does it cost, any other subscription services you have?

Any other advice on what I should do assuming I buy the 520T - which I believe you're recommending as a good buy. Any reputable online sites you'd recommend for a good buy?

Should I still subscribe to TomTom traffic via GPS?

Are there any recommended accessories - cases, better suction holders, specific makes you'd recommend, is there a specific T model I should buy to ensure the antenna is the latest - were there not problems with them once? Is there a suction holder which has the cigarette lighter in it (a bit like the 540 live) andf can also hold the traffic line? Did I hear that I could get HD updates later next year?

Sorry for the many questions just want to get this all done in one go and have a good kit at the best price.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RDS-TMC is probably the most cost effective method of getting traffic data to the device, BUT it isn't without its own problems such as reception issues in some areas of the country. Once you overcome the reception problems you then get to see information that is far from 100% reliable, often it is out of date or simply plain wrong - but when it gets it right it is very good. I use other sources of data to cross check what the TomTom is telling me, if the motorway gantry signs and the radio information is the same as the RDS data then I let the TomTom re-plan the route, if the information sources don't tally I tend to ignore the sat nav.

GPRS data via your mobile phone is better as the reception problems are not as prevalent, but you are still offered old and poor information from time to time.

Live HD traffic (x40 units only) is an improvement, but its still far from perfect and I still don't trust it 100%

520 is a very good buy at the moment, but also look out for the 720 which can be found even cheaper from some outlets as they are clearing stock.

Look for the CarComm active mount if you want a decent mount for the device that can remain in situe cabled up to accept the device - added expense but far superior to the supplied mount and cables - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your Nokia 6230i is totally compatible with the TomTom devices - not something which can be said about every mobile phone.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: