Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Sorry, really basic question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Sorry, really basic question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agusta
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Sorry, really basic question Reply with quote

I've just replaced my laptop and I can't for the life of me remember how I install my GO 720 so that my PC recognises it as a mass storage device (doesn't do so when I just connect using the cradle via USB). I mainly want to update my PGW speed camera database.
Am I supposed to have a disc somewhere to install TomTom Home?
Sorry, for such a simple question, but if someone can just remind me how to get started again I would appreciate it.
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Sorry, really basic question Reply with quote

agusta wrote:
I've just replaced my laptop and I can't for the life of me remember how I install my GO 720 so that my PC recognises it as a mass storage device (doesn't do so when I just connect using the cradle via USB). I mainly want to update my PGW speed camera database.
Am I supposed to have a disc somewhere to install TomTom Home?
Sorry, for such a simple question, but if someone can just remind me how to get started again I would appreciate it.

What Operating system are you using?

Windows XP/Vista should just recognise the TomTom as a mass storage device - when you connect the TomTom to the USB port - does the TomTom ask whether to connect to the computer?
agusta
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using Windows Vista Home Premium.
I have just tried reconnecting again and this time it seems to have found it and correctly installed the drivers, which is what I thought should have happened and why I was confused first time I tried it.
So I should be OK now (I'll no doubt be back if I'm not) - thanks for responding
AlandEi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am fairly sure that you also need a USB 2 connection... When you switch the Tom Tom on after docking it in the cradle, it should ask if you want to connect to the computer... Yes... then it should show as an external drive under "My Computer"... you can find a download of "Home" on the Tom Tom Support Site

Alan
agusta
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - all seems to be sorted now, and have uploaded updated camera database (haven't bothered with TT Home yet).
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlandEi wrote:
I am fairly sure that you also need a USB 2 connection...

No you don't. All the early TomTom models were themselves only USB 1 spec.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: