Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 940 GPRS Traffic available?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

940 GPRS Traffic available?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject: 940 GPRS Traffic available? Reply with quote

Can you subscribe to normal GPRS traffic with a 940?

I don't see any point in HD traffic as it seems unreliable, and I get my mobile data free, so normal GPRS is best option for me.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPRS traffic will not work on the 940. RDS-TMC traffic will work.

If you wanted GPRS traffic you should have bought a 920/930 as the 940 replaces the 920/930 GPRS traffic with Live Services including HD Traffic and this is the main difference between the ranges. Maybe someone here would be willing to swap units?

It is very unlikely but may be possible by installing the 930 operating system on the 940 you would get GPRS traffic but I have not tried this and I have not seen any reports anywhere on this. Even if you did this and it worked, the internal phone would not work for GPRS as you would not have any mobile subscription on it.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, GPRS services on the x40's are only available via the LIVE subscription. The only other option is RDS-TMC either via an accessory antenna and the accessory iPod mount that has the connector or the new RDS-TMC integrated mount.
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
No, GPRS services on the x40's are only available via the LIVE subscription. The only other option is RDS-TMC either via an accessory antenna and the accessory iPod mount that has the connector or the new RDS-TMC integrated mount.

Jumping in here, but do you, or anyone else know how RDS-TMC works with the x40 series? I've recently purchased an USB receiver for my 740, for use in France, and this morning when I lost live traffic for a couple of occasions, it didn't revert to RDS-TMC. On one occasion I switched the 740 off and then on again whilst live traffic was down, and it started to connect to RDS_TMC, but then reverted to attempting to connect to live traffic, and although it wasn't available, (yellow triangle showing,) it wouldn't go back to RDS-TMC.

Does the RDS_TMC mount act any differently? How is it supposed to work outside the UK?
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I am aware when you lose mobile contact (rather than server contact) it will automatically switch to TMC.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
As far as I am aware when you lose mobile contact (rather than server contact) it will automatically switch to TMC.
This is correct, only last night on the M6 my unit dropped the Vodafone signal and it reverted back to the RDS-TMC receiver - the service resumed after about 3 miles and simply switched back to using the HD Traffic.

If you are abroad though the device knows it cannot use the HD Traffic so it will use the RDS-TMC by default - Mike
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
MrT wrote:
This is correct, only last night on the M6 my unit dropped the Vodafone signal and it reverted back to the RDS-TMC receiver - the service resumed after about 3 miles and simply switched back to using the HD Traffic.

If you are abroad though the device knows it cannot use the HD Traffic so it will use the RDS-TMC by default - Mike

Thanks for your replies

Just to clarify, it should revert to RDS-TMC when it loses the Vodafone signal, rather than losing the traffic server. If i get the yellow triangle, how do I tell the difference? The Mount and USB versions should have no operational, rather than reception, differences?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tap the sat strength meter followed by the version box and on the resultant screen is "Network" tap that and you will see the connection status and signal strength for the mobile network connection.

In use with HD Traffic you get the traffic information sidebar to the right of the screen but there is no green disk or animated arrow.
In use with RDS-TMC you still get the traffic information sidebar, but you will see the animated arrow if its searching for a signal, or a Green disk when it has received an RDS update within the last 5 mins - this diminishes to a grey disk in 4 quarter segments if no further reception occurs over a 20 minute period.

With the RDS-TMC built in to the mount you have a much neater solution with less aerial wire strung across the windscreen, otherwise in terms of functionality they are indeed the same - Mike
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike

I normally go to France 2/3 times a month, so I'll post here after my next trip with comments. With my 901 setup, I had a signal before I left the the docks/tunnel, which could be useful in choosing the A16 or A26/A1 into Paris. On my last trip, the first with the 740, without RDS-TMC, I made the wrong choice!
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve just read this myself before posting, and my apologies if it’s a bit rambling, I’m tired!

My vehicle is an 08 VW T5 Kombi, both new and existing TT setups have/had TT in bottom RH corner, with TMC cable running left to centre of windscreen, and

I've just returned from a couple of trips to Paris with mixed feelings about RDS_TMC and the x40.
On Tuesday night the TomTom had stayed in its mount fed with power but switched off. On switching on, it immediately recognised the RDS_TMC, but I was very disappointed that I didn't get a signal in Calais, normally a strong signal area in my experience, until I was about 20/25mins away travelling at 130kph, heading east along the A26. Once I had a green circle however, it stayed for the majority of the trip, except for dropping to ¼ grey once and ¾ grey once. This is a marked improvement on my previous setup with the 910 and an unmodified ‘mark 2’ receiver. The TT stayed on in Paris

On the return trip it continued to stay solid green until I stopped for a break about 160k from Calais. This time the TT was switched off and removed from the mount. On starting up again approx 2/3hrs later, it kept trying to connect to Live for some reason, until finally stopping with the grey vertical band, but no rotating black dotted circle, and no yellow triangle! e.g. traffic appeared to have locked up. I had to remove it from its mount, switch off, return it to the mount and switch on again before it found the TMC antenna again. This time there was no reception at all until almost at Calais. I stopped briefly to play around with the antenna position, including holding it outside, but to no avail. Playing with it on the journey back, I discovered that switching off and on whilst in the mount, caused it to revert back to attempting Live mode and not seeing the TMC unit. Also loss of power immediately loses the TMC connection. When I arrived at Calais I had a look at the map, and all visible traffic incidents where in Belgium! Whilst waiting for the Ferry, as an experiment I tried switching the TMC off and then on again, it had not reconnected by the time I boarded the ferry 20+ minutes later.

Last night was almost an exact repeat of the previous night, with the initial TMC info being for Belgium only, with French info not being picked up until approaching Arras (This included Paris info BTW) The only difference was that I noticed it briefly went to a full grey circle for a few minutes. In Paris this time I switched it off, and it took almost 15 mins to reconnect, again in a very strong signal area. On the return, I stopped at the same point and this time left the TT connected, and it was still solid green a couple of hours later. Approaching Calais it had again acquired Belgium traffic info.

With this admittedly brief trial, I’m convinced that whist signal retention and transfer between frequencies are very good, initial signal acquisition is very poor. At one stage I tried to manually input 107.7, which I briefly had some time ago on a previous trip, but it immediately told me no TMC signal was on that frequency although there is a free TMC service on it. With regard to traffic info, it’s very difficult to say, but from what I could see on the map, it looked about what I would expect. The problem with my 740 reverting back to Live when it is switched off and on again is very real and pronounced on my unit and when I feel the need for some light entertainment, I’ll report it to TomTom

I tried to find some way of finding out what frequency the TT was using as on the 910, but if it’s there I couldn’t find it.

If anyone else ahs experience of TMC/x40 use in Europe I’d be very interested to hear about it
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the UK I have had the TMC working in remote areas of Northumberland but even there I tended to lose the TMC signal as well as the Vodaphone. I have found very little difference between the same TMC aerial on the 940 or 530 in performance.

The problem with the 940 was when it briefly got a vodaphone signal and lost it again the TMC would start searching for a signal again. It seems to take a long time to choose a signal and manual input only seems to provide a starting point.

I would prefer the 940 to automatically switch to TMC when connected or have a manual selection option rather than switching on loss of mobile.

TomTom did ask me in a survey how much extra I would be willing to pay to use HD roaming abroad.
sonypc100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if I dont want to pay £7.99 a month and will use my TT in the USA (occasionally) am I better off buying a 930 as opposed to a 940?

cheers

rich
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sonypc100 wrote:
So if I dont want to pay £7.99 a month and will use my TT in the USA (occasionally) am I better off buying a 930 as opposed to a 940?

Very possibly. But you can use the RDS-TMC mount that is now available for the x40's. That would give you the option to subscribe to LIVE as and when you needed it (it is non-contractual) but a 930T would give you quite a saving.
sonypc100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Darren and is TMC more reliable than using a GPRS connection via my mobile - or is that a "can of worms" question?!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sonypc100 wrote:
Thanks Darren and is TMC more reliable than using a GPRS connection via my mobile - or is that a "can of worms" question?!

A whole shelf full of cans of worms! TMC is flaky, reception variable at best, non-existent at worst. HD Traffic has proved more reliable - just. GPRS Traffic is the best option but of course you have the TRAFFIC subscription and data costs to factor in.

The perfect solution doesn't exist yet. I wouldn't subscribe to HD Traffic, RDS-TMC has proved too unreliable and even when I can get a signal the data is poor and TRAFFIC is just a better delivery mechanism for RDS with extra cost.

So I just tune into the TA reports on my radio and read a book when I get stuck Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: