Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom mislabel whole motorway !
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom mislabel whole motorway !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DinAlt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: TomTom mislabel whole motorway ! Reply with quote

Hi,

One of my pet peeves has been that ever since TomTom 2 the junction of the M25 with the M26 has had the turn towards Dover mislabelled as being M25 not M26 I've just discovered that if you use it's reality view it's mislablled all the way - how can this sort of error still exist after all this time ? (btw the reason i discoverd this is I've got it runnign in demo mode to check the TTS files so it's making a voyage to my French in laws as i type).

Edit - now looped it three times and the above seems to have been a glitch, however there defintely seems to be somethign wrong with the M25/M26 Junction as on the third run through it used two reality view boards in quick sucession - the 2nd one being the correct one (first time I've seen this one either when driving for real or using demos)

DinAlt
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And since W&CE 8.10 map J2 of the M66 is just described as J2 on the signposts, on all previous maps (including 8.05) it was J2 Bury.

As well as J29A on the M1 still not existing the map updates are taking a long time to filter through.

Andy
HenryMitchell
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom mislabel whole motorway ! Reply with quote

DinAlt wrote:
Hi,

One of my pet peeves has been that ever since TomTom 2 the junction of the M25 with the M26 has had the turn towards Dover mislabelled as being M25 not M26 I've just discovered that if you use it's reality view it's mislablled all the way - how can this sort of error still exist after all this time ? (btw the reason i discoverd this is I've got it runnign in demo mode to check the TTS files so it's making a voyage to my French in laws as i type).

Edit - now looped it three times and the above seems to have been a glitch, however there defintely seems to be somethign wrong with the M25/M26 Junction as on the third run through it used two reality view boards in quick sucession - the 2nd one being the correct one (first time I've seen this one either when driving for real or using demos)

DinAlt

Hi- I live near this junction and it seems that when you take the M26 by staying on the right you are deemed to be still on the M25 until you go past the Sevenoaks slip-road and then you are on the M26 proper. I'm not saying it's right but it could be described as logical... You could re-name that short stretch of road to get it to work right for you.
Map: Europe v920.5244 (11/2013)
DinAlt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point being if you're looking for the M26 and you see a sign saying M25 you won't go that way (and this occurs on the reality (full screen view) as well which we can't edit - it even shows a representation of a Motorway sign clearly labelled M25.

I've marked this as a fault many tims but TomTom don't want to change it

DinAlt
HenryMitchell
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not disagreeing with you- it certainly is confusing if you don't know the area. It's just that I can see why the map logic is like that. There's sometimes no substitute for a real person having some input in the maps but then SatNav is not a replacement for some knowledge of where one is going either!
Map: Europe v920.5244 (11/2013)
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DinAlt wrote:
The point being if you're looking for the M26 and you see a sign saying M25 you won't go that way

So you would blindly follow the sat nav instead of the rather large blue signs at the roadside and gantries over the lanes that conveniently point you in the right direction and are much larger thann your satnav? There are enough of them Shocked Very Happy Very Happy
Please note the grins. This is NOT a flame. I fully agree with you, some of the map data on most satnavs leaves a lot to be desired. It's becoming fair to blame TT now since they have taken over the mapping company. Come on TT. Get yer finger out.
DinAlt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good point about trusting the Tomtom - but lets face it we're now much more depnednet on thme - especially for routes we haven't travelled before - how often have you used a satnav to get somewhere and becuse there is no drama / real interaction durign the route you get to the destination with no real knowledge of how you got there ?
This junction annoys me becuase I used to drive it a lot and the fact it's been mislabled for at least 6 different versions and over 5 years irks me - I bet there are other errors just as bad i haven't noticed but because i know about this one IALWAYS spot it when I go South on the M25 Smile

DinAlt
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't go that way often, but when I came back from Canterbury just over a week ago I could so easily have missed the turning for M26 towards M25 - told me to keep right then take the exit and if I had done so, I'd have been too late, getting caught by the split. I remembered from a previous occasion (pre SatNav) when I went carried on up the M20 and suffered quite a few miles extra, so I was a bit more willing to obey the SatNav in case the exit was to the right. But I followed the overhead signs rather than the TT. Dunno why it doesn't direct you to take the exit when the very long slip lane starts.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you John - what a relief that somebody else found it less than perfect. As a frequent member of the "Engage your brain" brigade, I was very reluctant to submit my post above, expecting it to receive a thorough slating. For someone else to be alarmed by that coning and keep right business is a great comfort.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: