Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Map inaccuracies
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Map inaccuracies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeGordon
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Map inaccuracies Reply with quote

Can someone explain to me in simple terms why a device will suddenly tell you turn left, right or something equally as daft, when you are driving along minding your own business.

I understand software glitches, transient noise, etc. but it seems strange that wrong directions suddenly appear on a major arterial road like the North Circular Road in London.

For example, I was planning to leave the road by the next major intersection to turn right, when suddenly I was instructed to turn left, twice, into minor roads that had been blocked off for years.

I haven't gone back again to see if it does it again: but I curious

Mike
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which map version are you using?

Bear in mind that the released maps are often a couple of years behind reality anyway. It is likely that these are errors in the maps that were either in the original supplied by TomTom, or possibly have been introduced through MapShare corrections. Without specific examples, it is difficult to tell.

If it's as simple as a blocked road or No Left/Right Turn, you can use the Map Corrections facility to make the correction on your own device - they can be then uploaded to TomTom next time you connect your device to TT Home.
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had two odd situations like this, both my own fault.

First, I wanted to go a particular route to somewhere, so I set up an alternative via a point on the map. I scrolled to the road I wanted to travel on, and prodded, and went via there. When I got there, it suggested I turn into someone's drive. Turns out that I'd hit the drive not the road, once I zoomed in to see where I'd actually selected.

Second time was when the satnav just insisted I turn left at every turning. I was really quite baffled as I approached my destination (can you tell I knew the way, but was just using it for traffic monitoring?). This time I'd hit the one above my real target in the recent destinations list, and it was trying hard to take me to a supermarket instead.

Not that this is going to be it in all cases, but sometimes operator mistake is easy to do even though you don't think you did.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: