Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Please recommend an active mount for TomTom 730T
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Please recommend an active mount for TomTom 730T

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Please recommend an active mount for TomTom 730T Reply with quote

I tend to use modular Brodit items in my vehicle so I can swap SatNav units around without any difficulty. I use a Brodit ProClip on the dashboard, Brodit MoveClip for quick release of mount, and Brodit Active mount for the equipment itself.

I have a TomTom 730T which I want to use on my Brodit ProClip as I'm fed up with it on the sucker mount on the windscreen. I wish to use an active mount that both powers the 730T and connects the RDS-TMC wire to the 730T.

As I use Brodit MoveClip it doesn't matter which make I buy for the Active mount, as long as it does the job as well, if not better than then the other that are available.

I know of two makes of Active mounts:

Arrow Brodit
Arrow Carcomm

Are there any other makes of Active mount that I should consider?
I know where to get Brodit stuff (DSL Developments), but if another make is recommended would you also please tell me the best place to get it from?

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Brodit active mount and it works flawlessly. I have only ever used this one so can't comment on any others. I would certainly recommend it though.

Last edited by LesP2008 on Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
ben_e71
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just received my brodit mount and it looks great - once you remove the tacky logo that is
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert, I would also check the mount will accept the newer USB style RDS-TMC to future proof the unit as you might end up with one of these receivers at some point. Not all mounts will do this - Mike
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LesP2008 and ben_e71, thanks for the advice about the Brodit mount. Thumbs Up

mikealder wrote:
I would also check the mount will accept the newer USB style RDS-TMC to future proof the unit as you might end up with one of these receivers at some point.

Thanks Mike, as always good advice! Thumbs Up

I've seen the link to the newer USB style RDS-TMC receivers, today on this forum in this thread. In your opinion, are the USB style RDS-TMC receivers better (i.e. in reception of signal, less cables, etc) than the older ones that use a jack plug to connect to the TomTom?

I must admit that I have never seen these newer USB style RDS-TMC receivers in the flesh. Would I be right in thinking that they plug into the mini USB port of the 730T to provide both traffic data and 5.5v(?) power from the 12v plug?

If that is the case then the USB port plug that is buit into the active mount must be capable of delivering both power and data.

Do you know whether both the Brodit and the Carcomm can do this?

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found the USB style RDS-TMC receiver slightly better than the oval egg style unit, but only marginally so to be honest.

The power lead plugs in to the RDS-TMC which contains a built in lead that in turn provides data and power (5,0 Volts) to the PNA, this frees up the other socket on the PNA for use with the iPOD (should you need this capability), the downside is when you turn off the ignition (if the ciggy sockets power is switched) it will turn off the RDS device loosing the traffic signal. The CNM-168 does support both types of RDS-TMC but I am not too sure if Brodit have a solution as yet.

As for obtaining the best reception I have found coupling the "shoe string" aerial to the vehicles aerial makes a marked improvement with either style of receiver, not difficult to do and covered quite often throughout the forum - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: