Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What should the correct criteria be for POI data entry ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What should the correct criteria be for POI data entry ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulWH
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:57 pm    Post subject: What should the correct criteria be for POI data entry ? Reply with quote

What should the correct criteria be for POI data entry ?

I have just spent 3 weeks away from home in "Strange" parts of the UK with my wife and have to say that our trusty old Tomtom 700 behaved very well.

Firstly I would like to say thank you to all those that have been involved in providing POI data input, however I have one big gripe and that is the inconsistancy of the data input.

Let me explain, I am in a totally strange area where place names don't mean a lot and we fancy dinner so I ask "Jane" to navigate to PGPS's "Indian Restaurants" where we find a mixture of Trading Name & Tel No., Town & Trading Name, Trading Name only, Trading Name & Town.

Would it not make sense for all new entries and over a period of time for existing entries to be amended to the same format which I believe should be Town, Trading Name & Tel No. as this would make it so much easier for those away from home to find what they are looking for.

Paul W. H
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The criteria we currently use is set out Here.

As you see your thoughts are along the recommended lines. The trouble is it doesn't often happen, even with the newer submissions.

All the older locations were from collections that various users had created before they were brought together here. Each user had a system that they were happy with so, as you would expect, each was slightly different.

The Common Format, as shown in No.1 of the guidelines, is being applied but it takes a long while to do nearly 167,000 locations (it's all manual), along with the daily routine work!

In the meantime you can, with the TomTom, look for a POI in city (city/town/village), which will allow you to look more locally for the category locations you want.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: