Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - HTC G-Sensor vs. TomTom screen orientation
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

HTC G-Sensor vs. TomTom screen orientation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JTHM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject: HTC G-Sensor vs. TomTom screen orientation Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm eagerly awaiting HTC's release of TT7 pre-installed on the Touch Pro (which a TomTom CS agent told me is likely to happen before Christmas) before upgrading my Hermes. I currently use TT6 on my Hermes in landscape mode.

I've been following early reviews of the Touch Pro of which one referred to using a TomTom trial version. However the reviewer found that with the addition of the G-Sensor in the phone HTC had removed the ability to force a change to landscape without opening the keyboard and in their in-car holder there was no way to make TomTom switch to landscape with the keyboard closed.

Is the reviewer correct or do I have nothing to worry about?

The G-Sensor doesn't try to make TT switch it's orientation while going round bends does it?! Laughing

Cheers All!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The screen rotate function was dropped from the TomTom Navigator software when version 6 was introduced so I am not surprised it is still missing with the newer v7 code. What you have to do is set the screen rotation using Windows Settings BEFORE starting the nav application.
I have no knowledge about the accelerometer fitted in the hardware and whether or not the TomTom software actually uses it, but I wouldn't have thought it would be affected by cornering unless you drive something like Lewis Hamilton - Mike
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have TTN6 on my Touch Diamond and it is working fine. HTC only use the G sensor to change to landscape mode in certain applications - from memory limited to web browsing and something else I can't remember. So it will not normally work for Tom Tom, and as Mike says TT can no longer switch to landscape like it did with TT5.

However all is not lost. There is a little app called GSen that you can get free from http://forum.xda-developers.com/index.php that extends the use of the G sensor to most other applications (you can decide which ones) including Tom Tom. So just swivel your phone around (I have a Brodit holder so that is easy) and it will become landscape

However in answer to your last question the G sensor is sensitive and once or twice I have noticed that it does change in corners - mainly twisty road driven at reasonable speeds (and those are all I can do in my Civic Hybrid!). But it soons reverts back once you stop cornering and it does not often happen, so no real problem.

BTW never rely upon any time periods given by TT "support" for anything to happen. Did they tell you which Christmas?
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: