Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mio Moov 370 GPS for Europe
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mio Moov 370 GPS for Europe
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Mio Moov 370 GPS for Europe Reply with quote

Not sure where to post this. Confused

Has anyone bought this device and if so what is the verdict. I've seen them in Auchan in France but not on display here. Perhaps I'm not looking in the right place. Info please. Cool
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC these use Mio's version of the Navman software following there purchase of that company.

I couldn't in all honesty recommend any unit running running that software.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
IIRC these use Mio's version of the Navman software following there purchase of that company.

I couldn't in all honesty recommend any unit running running that software.

Bit biased, then Darren Rolling Eyes Point taken, though although I've been lucky and have used two Navman's without problem. What I need is a simple GPS device which will navigate me from A to B without all the extraneous stuff they seem to add on today. (A to B has to be across all of Europe NOT just the 22 western countries). Why would I want to navigate to a picture Question I want a good size screen and 4.3 cm is good enough. TMC is OK but not essential - merely informative. So what would you suggest. Seems like every current GPS unit has its critics & devotees. Rolling Eyes Over to you or anyone else that wants their two-pennyworth......
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not biased, I simply don't think the last incarnation of Navman's SmartSt is a worthy alternative when compared with the likes of TomTom, Garmin, iGO, Navigon et al.

All three have entry level devices devoid of 'guff' that meet your stated requirements. Navigon's 1210 announced today is one example, TomTom have the ONE v9 EU and Garmin have the 2x5 range.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
.....................All three have entry level devices devoid of 'guff' that meet your stated requirements. Navigon's 1210 announced today is one example, TomTom have the ONE v9 EU and Garmin have the 2x5 range.

I'll check them out then. Thanks. Wink
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject: Navigon 1210 2210 Reply with quote

Been having a look at the new Navigon's where I can find them on the web - which is not many. The more expensive (sic) one, the 2210 seems to meet my requirements but yet to see any review or indeed full specs. I know it has just been announced, so I'll look out for it in the next few weeks. Thanks for the 'steer'.

Graham
CaptainDrift
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mio 370 UK Equivalent is the S70 3D, but doesn't have built in TMC.
and only western Europe.

Another alternative is the Mio 360 Full Europe available in Germany and Poland, has everything and much improved software not yet available for western Europe Navman/Mio devices
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptainDrift wrote:
The Mio 370 UK Equivalent is the S70 3D, but doesn't have built in TMC.
and only western Europe.

Another alternative is the Mio 360 Full Europe available in Germany and Poland, has everything and much improved software not yet available for western Europe Navman/Mio devices

The Mio Moov 360 would suit me fine, but it is not yet available in the UK. I have time to shop around and maybe something else will crop up. I've had Navmans for some time and I do like the mapping and many things about them and I have rarely had a problem with them. (If it works don't try to fix it Wink ) There is also the Navigon 2210 but that is just about ready for release.....
I'll just have to be patient and by the time both of them are released something else will crop up. 'Till then I will continue with my two present devices.
CaptainDrift
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mio 360 will never be available in the UK.
It is designed for the Eastern European market, so will have to buy from Germany
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Mio Navman Navigon Reply with quote

The Mio units will be available in the UK as Navman models in the not too distant future - the S30 / S50 and S70 are already available with 2nd edition software (look for the 3D after the model number) and later mapping release

A full update to the software is expected pre-Christmas, probably late October / November with further unit releases then

Also you won't go far wrong with the Navigon 2110 Max units, which are great units (except mount) - UK only 2100 Max on sale at Halfords at the moment at £99 - you can buy further mapping online at navigon.com via their unique FreshMaps service

The Navman / Mio units are pretty much the best A to B driving units around, despite what Darren days, although the Navigon have lane assistant which I really like, ease of use make the Navman my top choice day to day (and I also have a TomTom and a Garmin Nuvi - although the new Nuvi 755 etc look great units and may tempt me back if the new Navman Mio units don't offer lane assistant)
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Mio Navman Navigon Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
The Navman / Mio units are pretty much the best A to B driving units around, despite what Darren days,

I make no secret of the fact that I think Navman's latest units were poor in comparison with their peers. Your devotion to Navman is well known and we are all entitled to our views.

I have no axe to grind with Navman as a company, I simply speak as I find. Mio's decision to drop iGO in favour of SmartST has already bitten them.

Strangely enough I also have access to a few different devices from time to time to compare Wink
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: Devotion Reply with quote

It's not devotion Darren, just plain and simple click click click and you are there with a Navman. Clear maping, accurate detailed vocal directions, and little else

TomTom try to do way to much, and almost always stear me way off the best route, and I don't like the map visual, and Garmin, well I spent six months driving through the country lanes

I constantly try out new Sat Navs of all makes, like you looking for something that will satisfy the niggles even my current favourite (the S90i) gives me, but as yet nothing surpases. When it does, I will be first to shout - whatever the make! I'm currently enjoying the Navigon 2100 max, its very good and very cheap - but not quite Navman in many ways (although better in a few)

The new Becker unit with Video navigation looks exciting - any views Darren?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Becker? Do you mean Blaupunkt? They had a GPS that overlaid data on real time video.

Attention grabbing but wholly pointless IMHO. Way too distracting.
spajohn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, there are two big issues with the Navman units:

1. Crashing as soon as you try to add custom POI's (below and above the 12,000 POI limit)
2. Very limited in-house safety camera database (in particular an absence of mobile cameras despite what the marketing/packaging states)

I speak from experience of having purchased and returned both the Navman S70 3D and Navman S50 3D.

This raises two qustions:

1. Will the 'new' MIO/Navman devices you mention have different software from the latest 3D models?
2. How are the Navigon models on safety cameras?

Thoughts very much appreciated.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This raises two qustions:

1. Will the 'new' MIO/Navman devices you mention have different software from the latest 3D models?

Apparently - reading between the lines it seems although they are working hard on major updates. I think the 3D landmarks (useless on every satnav system) and the much more innovative Live Navman Connect POIs are just the beginning of their catchup, to bring there easy to use exceptionally near navigation software back to the top with features

Quote:
2. How are the Navigon models on safety cameras?

Even more restricted than the Navman - NO custom POI interface, except via a third party software add-on POI Warner, which in my experience of the past makes the software slower and unstable. Built in FIXED cameras are excellent by the way

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: