Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Ireland - how does it work?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Ireland - how does it work?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
suezew
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Ireland - how does it work? Reply with quote

I will be going to Ireland very soon.

How do they use GPS car navitation in Ireland? In the US we enter an address.

I can't find addresses for most of the locations - B&B's and tourist sites. Latitude and longitude coordinates for locations are the best I've been able to come up with. Can I put the coordinates in?

I've searched for hours trying to find addresses, but no luck.

I don't want to be lost and I want to be prepared and take the information I will need with me.

PLEASE help!!
THANKS.

Last edited by suezew on Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sue, edit you e-mail address out or you may get Spammed, people will answer here and you get a notification e-mail from the site.

Have you a couple of examples of the address's or part of address you have?
suezew
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Ireland - Using GPS Reply with quote

Yes, here is a typical address:

The Lighthouse B&B
The High Road
Ballinaboula
Dingle County Kerry

How do I enter that in to a GPS?

Sueze
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I see what you mean. Out of curiosity I just checked a site in Eire, caravan and camping pitches, all the address are similar in form to your example.

Also came across THIS so it looks like you may have a problem, unless someone else on this site has the answer.

Edit. Just found it's in Google Earth, it's Upper Main Street, Dingle. I assume they call Strand Street The Lower Road.

On my GPS I entered Ireland/Dingle/Upper Main Street/ where it crosses Chapel Lane, which is very close.
suezew
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Ireland - GPS Reply with quote

Our rental car comes with a GPS. Now I'm feeling like "so what"?

If anyone comes up with an answer, I would really appreciate some help.

Thanks.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without knowing which GPS/Sat-nav model you will have in your hire car, it is hard to be specific on how you would enter the address.

You say you cannot find most of the addresses you need, so where are you looking for them now?

But in general, I would expect you to enter addresses just as you would in the US... i.e. (if it is the first time) Select country (assuming it is a Europe-wide device). You wouldn't need this step for a "UK and Eire only" model). Then Select Town or City, Select Street, Select House number.

In the UK and possibly Eire, you can also navigate to POSTCODE (which defines a much smaller area than your Zip codes, I believe), or you CAN navigate to Lat/Long coordinates, but these are not often given in the descriptions of places like Hotels B+B's etc.

It sounds like you have just been unlucky with the address examples you gave, normally, you could expect either a decent street name and house number, or if not, then the town will be so small you won't have any trouble finding the B+B anyway!

But having said that, the "quirky" Irish character is what you're coming to experience isn't it? Laughing
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, welcome to the wonderful world of addressing in Ireland. There's no postcode/ZIP and even the road name doesn't necessarily appear on a map. Smile

Best thing is to phone/email the place and ask how to get there. Be prepared for directions based on things you can see and not necessarily anything to do with the roads themselves. Alternatively, get to a local town and ask.

If you want to prepare, use Google. Ballinaboula appears to be a bit NW of Dingle between "Commons of Dingle" and Ballyheabought.

The GPS will come in handy when you find out where you are staying so that you can get back easily in the evenings. Also, leaflets for local attractions often have a map that you can then locate on the GPS. Smile
Brodit ProClip mount

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: