Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Vs Garmin
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Vs Garmin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gaj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: TomTom Vs Garmin Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a Nuvi 860 and Tomtom One V4 XL EU (T) and would like to compare them for a review I'd like to write. I understand that the Nuvi is in a league of its own but I think the basic maps and features can be compared as they are common between most models.

What would you all suggest are the features which I should compare? I'd also like to look at the the PC software?

Also what is Garmin's closest match to the Tomtom One XL they have so many models that you get a bit lost.

Do Garmin have the equivalant of mapshare? and how good is mapshare? using the tomtom I still find loads of roads where it thinks I'm driving through a field?

I'd also love to add something about the pocket GPS camera database, can I use this with both sat navs? and is it better that the db's that come part of the sat nav?

Cheers,
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: TomTom Vs Garmin Reply with quote

gaj wrote:
Hi,

I have a Nuvi 860 and Tomtom One V4 XL EU (T) and would like to compare them for a review I'd like to write.

Quote:
I understand that the Nuvi is in a league of its own

Debatable....

But I don't think you are comparing even remotely similar models here.....
Judging by the fact the 860 is in the banner ad at the top of the Garmin UK website, and by their usual numbering system, I'd say it is probably a pretty high-end model (with voice control, phone hands free etc.).
The TomTom One XL is a very competent, but very BASIC model.

Quote:
Also what is Garmin's closest match to the Tomtom One XL they have so many models that you get a bit lost.

If the Garmin is the top of their range, then I'd have thought you should compare it to the top of TomTom's range (i.e. the current Go930 or the just launched Go 940 which has the same voice command ability as the Nuvi).

Also, If you are wanting to write a review, ensure you use the correct terminology for the TomTom "One" models... using "V4" etc. is fraught with danger and usually wrong... The XL models I know of are the v5 and the v9, v4 was an old small-screen "One")

Quote:
but I think the basic maps and features can be compared as they are common between most models.

True.
You could have a look at THIS topic: where I compared TomTom and Garmin map styles (although in that post I make the same error of not comparing "like for like" - this was a low-level Garmin and a Higher level TomTom). Later I got hold of a higher-spec Garmin for a more fair comparison (which still confirmed my theories!) There are some pics on page 7 and also an entirely new topic that I've not quite found yet!

Quote:
What would you all suggest are the features which I should compare? I'd also like to look at the the PC software?

Apart from the utility to convert POIs and upload them to the machine, I don't think Garmin have any sort of PC management software like the TomTom's "Home" utility.

As for features (trying not to do too much of your review for you Wink ...)
Map quality, screen viewing quality, sound quality, routing accuracy, map/routing errors, quality of POIs, user interface, satellite pickup strength and speed, mount and powering, battery life, choice of voices, software update method, ease of backup. Then all the "extras" - mp3 player, hands-free phoning, traffic delay updates, safety cameras, Intelligent routing, updates via GPS, colour schemes, downloadable voices, custom menus.. the list goes on and on

Quote:
Do Garmin have the equivalent of mapshare? and how good is mapshare? using the tomtom I still find loads of roads where it thinks I'm driving through a field?

Mapshare is very young technology.
In its present form you cannot make the type of correction that would involve drawing entirely new roads, you can only make changes that affect existing ones (such rename them, make them one way or block them completely, restrict turns into them etc.). All you can do for NEW roads is REPORT them via the Mapshare interface.
But AFAIK, Garmin have absolutely nothing like MapShare even in development.

Quote:
I'd also love to add something about the pocket GPS camera database, can I use this with both sat navs?

Yes
Quote:
and is it better that the db's that come part of the sat nav?

Arguable, but generally considered by those who post here , yes.

I hope that helps/opens up the topic for debate!
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, I had completely forgotten that older thread you linked to. I almost updated some information on it at the risk of starting all over Laughing
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wish I could find where I posted the pics from the Nuvi 610, which was a better comparison.... Smile
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 7x0's or 2x5's are a more proper comparison. Both text fonts/sizes and map details have changed
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we'll have to see what gaj makes of them in his review.... Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: