Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Do I disable the camera alert in TOMTOM?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Do I disable the camera alert in TOMTOM?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amier
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Do I disable the camera alert in TOMTOM? Reply with quote

hi all

i just signed up and installed the pocketgps camera update on my tomtom go 920 traffic. seems stright forward i,m going out for a drive to test Smile

can someone tell ,e do i need to disable the builtin camera alert in the tomtom or do i leave this alone?

wouldnt this conflict with the pocket gps alerts?

Thanks
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe I just disabled tomtom cameras through the tomtom menu and never had any problems !!
Some people prefer to remove them completely
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can leave them enabled if you want to do a comparison.

It's up to you really, but you can just disable the TT Camera warnings in PLUS Services.

Or you can remove the files altogether.

No.13 on the TT FAQs Page will give you guidance on how to do this.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
amier
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks everyone

they are disabled, i followed the guide and everything seems in order.

are there anychecks i should do before i head out and also are 300 yards too close to be warned. the tomtom ones were usully OK when it comes to the distance. does anyone know what it is in tomtom all i can find is time which says 15 secs?

Thanks
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most users multiply the mph x 10 (30mphx10 = 300yards). IIRC it equates to about 18 secs.

Mobiles are usually up to double that because of the capture range. It's a case of what you're comfortable with.

I have my Mobile setting at a little less than double, to reduce the false warnings from side roads.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget you can run DEMO routes to check everything is working OK, you don't have to actually go for a drive.

Just set the camera POIs to show on the map (they won't all show up at low zoom levels, but will show more and more as you zoom in), then go to A-B advance planning (also called A-B Prepare route in later software) and use "point on map" to make a route past a camera or two. Once it has calculated, tap "Details" and go to Show route demo". Set the speed to around 200% and sit back and watch the warnings come up (go no higher than 299% speed or the audible alerts won't sound).
amier
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi all

many thanks for all your help and it works a treat, i think the tomtom version shows you the speed limit. this shows the camera but not the speeed limit is it normal?

shows the cameras from other roads, i was on the a1 and it was showing me a camera from a round about to my left Smile

thanks
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can recommend the spoken warnings which can be found here http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/speed-camera-and-poi-voice-alerts.php they just go in the map folder like the speed cameras

Regarding the warnings received from nearby roads I think you have to tick the box on the Tomtom only warn when on route I believe

Do not forget to make a windows explorer back up before you do anything else as the Tomtom software can be a bit temperamental
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amier wrote:

i think the tomtom version shows you the speed limit. this shows the camera but not the speeed limit is it normal?

That depends which version of the database you downloaded...
There are three versions:
1. a single file with all cameras. Quickest and easiest to install, but only tells you there is a camera (or mobile site) ahead, but nothing else.

2. a "consolidated by type" set of about six files. These tell you the camera type but not the speed.

3. the full "speed-zoned" set of files where the cameras are split up into each type and then into every speed. So you end up with about 30 categories. This one obviously takes the longest to set up all the voice warnings etc. but gives you all the information.

It sounds like you may have installed option #2, but you sound like you want to use version #3 instead.
Simply delete the files you've got and start again with the speed-zoned download.

[/quote]shows the cameras from other roads, i was on the a1 and it was showing me a camera from a round about to my left Smile [/quote]

There is an option on the TomTom to ignore cameras that are not on your route, but frankly it doesn't work very well as it seems to include entire motorway junctions in the route even if you are just going straight through.
amier
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good morning

many thanks for that, i have downloaded option 3 and set it all up, it was stright forward and didnt take too much time. hopefully that will do the trick.

thanks

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: