Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Advice for purchasing GPS (for my Ipaq 5450)?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice for purchasing GPS (for my Ipaq 5450)?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ichilton
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:24 pm    Post subject: Advice for purchasing GPS (for my Ipaq 5450)? Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a HP Ipaq 5450 (with bluetooth) and am looking for a GPS, navigation software and car charging leads (for both gps and ipaq). Bluetooth would be nice as it's neater and my Ipaq supports it but I wouldn't turn down wired if it was a lot cheaper or better. I dont really want to spend more than about £175.

I have looked around ebay and several websites and the cheapest deal's i've found are on ebuyer:

TomTom wired GPS & TomTom v3 software (£119 incl VAT):
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=60214

TomTom bluetooth GPS & TomTom v3 software (£162 incl VAT):
http://pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=29&sid=fdab6d2391ab5f50a55307ba23346ebe

My questions are:

1) Anyone have any recommendations for/against these models?

2) Any suggestions for anything better in this price range that I should be looking at?

3) Anyone know of any cheaper deals?

4) If I bought one of the above kits, would I need anything else other than a holder of some sort?
[and/or]
Do those include all the leads needed for connecting the wired gps or charging the bluetooth gps and for charging the ipaq?

Any advice/help would be appreciated!

Thanks in Advance!

--ian
ichilton
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again,

Sorry, cut & paste went wrong - that 2nd link for the bluetooth model should be this:
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=60211

--ian
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TomTom BT GPS has been known to fail in a lot of units people have purchased, the charging circuit seems to finally die leaving you with a dud doorstep. We've had 3 go this way.
ichilton
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply.

So what would you recommend I look at in this price range?

Thanks

--ian
Triple-GPS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am thinking of Tom Tom for my IPAQ 5550. But I am concerned at the number of reports I've read about the TT BT GPS reciever failing / locking up / not being able to switch off etc.

I believe TT is compatible with other GPS BT receivers - any suggesttions? I'm not adverse to using the wired version, but for tidyness BT is the preferred option as I think my Audi has a heat reflective windscreen and I would probably have to put the GPS on the back parcel shelf (12V in the boot - thank you!)

So answers on a post card pls for reliable, good value (cheapish) BT GPS recievers compatible with TT.

TIA

3-GPS. Thumbs Up
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ichilton wrote:
So what would you recommend I look at in this price range

If that's your price range and you can't go any higher, then not a lot. Most GPS's (cabled) will cost around £100-130, Bluetooth GPS's around £150-200, add software to this at around £115 and that should give you a price range.

Personally I would go with an Emtac/Socket BT GPS.

Triple-GPS wrote:
I believe TT is compatible with other GPS BT receivers - any suggesttions? I'm not adverse to using the wired version, but for tidyness BT is the preferred option as I think my Audi has a heat reflective windscreen and I would probably have to put the GPS on the back parcel shelf (12V in the boot - thank you!)

Either on the back parcelshelf, or if there's an area behind the mirror which is black this area may receive signals through. Usually used for toll booth sensors in Europe.

The Emtac/Socket BT GPS is the most reliable GPS out there in terms of failure rate giving around 8 hours. If you want more than 8 hours then you may want to look at going for a GlobalSat/Dconnex, or something like a Navman where you can put AAA batteries in it.
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
The Emtac/Socket BT GPS is the most reliable GPS out there in terms of failure rate giving around 8 hours.

I am curious here.
The Emtac/Socket and TomTom BT receivers have been frequently listed in the polls as failed units, however the Navman 4400 has not?
I am not suggesting that a 4400 unit has never failed but it does suggest that they are reliable.

Does anyone know of or has any info on failure rate of a 4400 ?
I would like to think I have something that I can rely on.
ichilton
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave - Thanks for the reply!

Interesting - sounds like the TT BT reciever is a bad idea but what if I went the wired route - what is the TomTom like in this case?

I can get the TomTom wired reciever with TomTom v3 software for £120 in that 1st ebuyer.com link I posted above - how well would this work?

Would I need any extra cables on top of that pack for my ipaq 5450?

If i did get one of them and wanted to go bluetooth at a later date, presumably I could use that software and just buy the receiver next time around?

Thanks!

--ian
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wired one is good, it's a Leadtek and I have had two on my dashboard for the past year without any problems whatsoever. You wouldn't need to upgrade software, just purchase a new BT GPS when you want to and you should be good to go.
ichilton
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

That sounds my best option now then - sounds like the £120 is a good price just to get me going and get the software.

Anyone know if that kit will connect directly to an ipaq 5450 or do I need to buy the TomTom Car Kit for £40 to get the cables?

Thanks

--ian
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Leadtek will connect directly to the 5450 providing you purchase the PDA cable type of an iPAQ 3800 with it. Usually you get to choose what type of PDA connection you want when you order the GPS. You will want a mount on top of this and also software, but the GPS will come with a cig lighter which will power the GPS and also charge the iPAQ at the same time.
ichilton
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

I think the pack I was looking at contains the software but not the leads.

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=60214

Thanks for all your help!

--ian
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would doubt you'll get the whole lot for £120 inc vat, most sites are selling this for £185, £120 is quite a drop. If you do need to add a lead, then the last time I looked the cables were £19.95.
ichilton
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Well it says about the software and receiver and still shows that price when I have it in the shopping cart, so hopefully...! Smile

I also decided to pay the £40 for the proper holder and leads, I just need a 256mb SD card as i've only got 64mb MMC's at the moment.

Any recomendations from this list? -
Viking, Kingston, Sandisk, Lexar, KingMax or PTY.

Thanks!

--ian

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: