Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom 730t Stop Working
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom 730t Stop Working

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mabsey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom 730t Stop Working Reply with quote

Hi,

I've had my Go 730T for only 15 days and not had any problems until today.

I docked my tom tom as usual and it said searching for updates and installed a GPS Fix and the usual MAP Share updates. Everything went as normal and I disconected the device as I usually do and it showed the device, the disk came on at the bottom and nothing, It completly locked up and would not turn off.

I went to the tom tom site and followed the reset instructions, held the reset button for 20 seconds, left the device for a couple of minutes and tried to power back on and same thing, the device starts to power up and then hangs :S

I reset the device again and tried docking it with the Computer. When i Docked the device did not ask me whether I wanted to connect to my computer. Tom tom home launched and said checking for updates and everything looked normal. I went to the H: drive and could see all the files on my device. When I tried navigating the folders, the device hung and my explorer hung on my PC. I tried accessing the H: drive again and it errored saying no drive found.

Looks like I need to return the device to the shop, but before doing that, any more ideas what this could be? Looks like some sort of corruption when its first loading up. Is there anyway I can get a basic boot etc?

Mabsey
mabsey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE:

I fixed the problem :S

I read someone elses post about there 720 not starting unless that have a SD Card inserted in the device. I thought I would give this a go.

I found an old 256mb SD card i had lying around, put it in the Tom tom and started the device connected to my computer.

It started up normally and asked me to select which memory.

I selected internal memory.

Then clicked Add map, traffic, Voice Icon
Clicked Item from my computer.
Clicked + Next to Applications
Then clicked Add for Tom Tom Go Application.

It re-installed the application, asked me to restart my tom tom, and now everything works fine, I have a working tom tom again.

I've got to say, for a top of the range unit, its really sucked so far and I had a Garmin Nuvi before and never had these sorts of problems. So far the problems I have encountered are:

The screen is not readable in bright sunlight, its next to usless.
The device will just odd re-boot itself when on a journet for no reason.
And now today the latest lockup problem until i fixed it with the above.

A Poor experience so far, not sure if its going to get any better.

Mabsey
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a reminder to make sure you have a back up of your sat nav in windows explorer .
Do not trust Tomtom home !!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: