Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - COPL7 or IGO 8?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

COPL7 or IGO 8?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lillyelse
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:37 am    Post subject: COPL7 or IGO 8? Reply with quote

Hi, Darren,

Iknow you're a busy guy, and I have asked about COPL7 before, but do you have any update info from Alk for the TTS facility that's missing in 7, and any necessary bug fixes?

IYO, which is the better, IGO8 or COPL7?

You may decline to answer this via the forum, so could you PM me with your recommendations, please?

I'm now desperate to ditch TT6 after the last episode in Bedford where TTN6 got completely lost and almost caused an accident due to having to get the Collins out.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst you have asked Darren for an answer, perhaps the following is of some interest:

Having used both software packages you mention and a few others:

Co-Pilot Live 7 - don't like the user interface feels sluggish in use.

I-Go 8 Too much clutter on the screen and locked to a memory card with little spare capacity, no way to move maps/ application to larger card.

Route 66 vs8 - No custom POI support, a pathetic waste of time.

TomTom Navigator 6 - maps are too out of date.

TomTom Navigator 7 - a few new features, nice new maps, but only obtainable with a new (German) phone.

McGuider - well worth looking at, I have been quite impressed with this software in the three weeks I have been using, custom POI support is present, you can move the app/ maps to a larger memory card (once) and for under £40 you get more mapping than just Western Europe - Mike
lillyelse
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:09 am    Post subject: COPL7 vs IGO8 Reply with quote

Thanks for your input Mike, and could I ask if you know any new news about COPL7 bug fixes and the return of TTS?

As I said, I'm desperate to ditch TTN6 for the reasons you give. I'm already running COPL6 and find that the mapping is getting almost as bad as TTN6, however it seems to run quite quickly on my Mio 168. The only reason I don't use is as much as I would like is because it's installed on my wife's Mio 168 and I can't get her to part with it too often.

Is COPL7 really that much slower than 6? One of the things I like about COPL is the ability to run it in drive mode, ie without a destination input. I believe this is maintained in 7.

Doug
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can run it in drive mode as in cp6 cp7 uses what alk call high deffinition mapping this does scroll ok but somethings the menu does feel a little slugish in omparason to cp6

the routing is much improved over cp6

no news on tts though ive never bothered with it yet as usually ive missed the road name by the ime its saide it a simple 300yrds turn left does fine for me. i know its a personal thing but i dont miss tts at all

i think it will run the 168 but the processor may ot be upto it a good excuse to upgrade the pda Wink

the amount of programs that will run on 2003 and 2003se is getting less and less as the years go on so now may be a good time to think of upgrading the pda

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
lillyelse
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: COPL7 Reply with quote

Thanks for your input alix776.
I'm comming to the same conclusion about the PDA as you, but good PDAs are getting few and far in between.

What do you recommend?

The reason I'm loathe to part with the Mios is the excellent screen definition, especially for video work, and I have a few videos that I like to view on the hoof. (Obviously not whilst driving!). The only machine that came close was the Asus, but it seemed clumsy compared with the MIO and battery life wasn't good.

The other reason is that I have a Citroen Picasso with athermic windscreen, and the Mios have no problem receiving satellites without an external arial. Other PDAs tried just couldn't manage to get any satellites without an external arial attached.

BTW, I find the TTS and Roger (once you've got used to him) indispensible. Far more safe than having to take your eyes off the road to view the screen that is difficult to see sometimes under broad daylight conditions.

Doug.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I searched hard to upgrade my Mio168, and the only one i found to compare was the Asus a696, mainky because it matched the mio with configerable buttons which is very usefull with videos and spreadsheets thus enabling instant screen rotate in any program including tomtom, it also has faster processor (416mhz), the battery life seems comparable to the mio although i dont use it much out of the car and the wifi is very usefull, the only downside i have found is the screen, although sharp in normal use the matt screen seems to let it down in sunshine but then the mio was never any good in sunshine, in fact just comparing both side by side the contrast and definition on the asus seems better, personally if your a mio168 fan then you will be happy with the asus, if you PM me with addy i will send a piccy of them side by side. im happy with mine.
lillyelse
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Asus a696 replacement for Mio 168 Reply with quote

Thanks for your help aj2052. I take your point about the daylight performance with any PDA. However, I found that by turning up the screen brightness backlight on the Mio 168, the view was just about acceptable under all but the harshest of lighting, ie, bright sunlight.

Is the Asus a696 still available, and at what price these days?
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have thought so because it is a relatively new model, I bought mine from Expansys but also available from GPS for Less but not on stock when I ordered mine, Arrived in 2 days, cost me about £185, the other point you made about being clumsy i cannot understand because I find the Buttons and joystick are a lot easier to use than the Mio, in fact the buttons on my Mio are now sticking from lack of use and the Asus feels a slightly better build quality. the final advantage if your using Video is that I am using an 8gb card and i believe it will take 16gb one, check out Play.com for cheap cards.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My twopence worth.

Car Citroen Picasso - Device Mio P350 (replaced my Mio 168) - Software iGO 2006+, soon be getting Nav N Go iGO8. Very Happy
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must admit the p350 was my first choice until the Asus a696 came along, I am playing with IGO8 and find that Mikes earlier comments fit the bill admirably so I think that i will wave thier mapsit until Teleatlas update their maps and I can overcome the dedicated SD card problem and be legal.
ccarmock
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the look of the MIO P560
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also looked at the p360, although bigger internal memory, proccessor speed was slightly lower, but what really killed it for me was the lack of configerable buttons and the build quality of the Asus seemed better plus the Asus was about £60 cheaper for very similar spec.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: