Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Trying to setup data connection on 8.010, hangs at 60%
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Trying to setup data connection on 8.010, hangs at 60%

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goto10
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Trying to setup data connection on 8.010, hangs at 60% Reply with quote

920T
Phone (N95 on Tmobile) has paired ok but stops at 60% whilst checking wireless data connection settings. Running 8.010, this also happened in 7.481.
Anyone know the failure / workaround? Did a quick search but couldn't find anything.
Cheers.
Pauldp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have just spent most of today struggling with my N95 and 730T, and finally worked it out! (I think)

Once the tt has communicated with the phone, the phone seems to get upset. I found that when you turn off the tt, it doesnt close the bluetooth connection properly, and leaves the headset enhancement active.

What you may have seen on the phone whilst it is stuck at 60% is the phone showing it is connected, a very brief flash of the headset enhancement, and then the connection is severed.

I found that Sometimes the TT unit only recognises the phone has a wireless data connection, and not the handsfree features or phonebook.

If it looks as though it has stalled at 60% I did give it time to see what happens next. I think it just doesnt recognise all the phones features.

So, setting up:

I found I had to start again.
Delete phone, delete the bluetooth pairing.
Turn off both devices. In fact I found myself resetting the TT via the button on the bottom. Other times previously the unit spontaneously rebooted.

Turn on TT, Then turn on phone.
Add the phone and it all should work.

But: Dont allow the connection to be broken to the phone. This will be all of the times you use it in the future.

If you turn the TT off, you will also have to reset your phone by turning it off and on again. It then seems to work OK. If you dont do this, you get 'phone connected' on tomtom but a phone icon with a line through it, "no response" from phone errors. I should have reset the phone but instead tried to delete and recreate the phone.

I think this is the answer but have yet to test it really hard! Hope it helps.

I have submitted this to TT as an issue and will post an answer up if they have one.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a search for "60%".
I'm sure that this has been mentioned quite often before.
Pauldp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

60% has bee mentioned before. and you can leave it to wait, but what happens on an n95 is that it then only detects the wireless data feature and misses everything else.

A manual setup will help you get the connection right, but it wont work untilt he phone is power cycled.

I also found that the TT rebooted spontaneously.
Pauldp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: A reply from TT Reply with quote

my reply has been a standard response:

We suggest that you reset your HandsFree connection, to do this, please follow the steps below:-

- Check to see if your phone is compatible with the TomTom device and can be used with Handsfree. See http://www.tomtom.com/phones/compatibility/
- Check that your TomTom device has handsfree capability. Not all TomTom devices have this feature.

Only the Go 500, Go 700, Go 510, Go 710, Go 910, Go 520, Go 720 and Go 920 have this feature. Please note that the TomTom One, TomTom One XL range does not have Handsfree calling.

- Connect your TomTom to your computer and switch it on.
- Open TomTom Home and download the latest application and phone database updates.

- Reset your TomTom to factory settings via the Change Preferences Menu
- Reset your TomTom with a paperclip in the reset hole for 20 seconds, see http://www.tomtom.com/6965

- On your Mobile phone remove all Bluetooth bondings from the phone
- Remove the phones battery for a few seconds, then reinsert the battery.

- Turn the phone back on and make sure it is visible for other Bluetooth devices
- On the TomTom, tap onto the Mobile Phone icon to initiate the hands free connection.

Your Handsfree connection should now be set up correctly. To test this out, try calling a landline number via the TomTom, and also try calling your Mobile Phone number from a landline.

[End]

I notice that the N95 is not compatible with the 730 allegedly, but is with the 720. I have asked for confirmation on this omission. I have also tried the above with no success.

I also notice some other threads with similar problems.
dcross
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Addition Reply with quote

Well let me add my two pence to all this - before the TT 530 and the N95 8Gb go for a early death!!

My primary concern is traffic - not fussed about hands-free.

Prev used Nav 6 on a HP HX4700 and a Nokia 6230i - brilliant - no trouble at all - pairing, connections, traffic data all perfectly fine.

Then upgraded to a Nokia E65 - well the E65 wobbled a bit at first but seemed oK after - I guess after a reboot.

Then I went on a trip and for some reason needed to use my partners 710. Connected this to the E65 which didn't really work at first, and I lost total use of my BT headset - it refused point blank to connect to the phone after using 710.

Now, some years later, I've got a new nice smart GO 530 and a new nice smart N85 8Gb (on 3). The very first attempt to get them talking...

The see each other perfectly fine. They establish the pairing, go through the "wizard" on GO. Select the N95 as the phone, it gets my contacts OK. I get the UK, 3GB network selection and then it sits there at 65% for what must have been an age. So I cancelled and re-ran the wizard but this time selecting Other to the phone network request. This time I specified the 3 APN myself and it went straight from 50% to 80% and on to complete the wizard. Great I thought all working.

So my first journey and they behave (the phone may have been switched off prior to journey at some point). Then I get a call via hands-free which is fine - all worked.

Then I get a second call but I can't hear them!! The call is ended and then the GO audio don't work either. The GO wouldn't shutdown so had to reset it. This cured the GO Audio.

So my second trip and they seem to connect, but traffic don't work. The GPRS connection isn't established. The only way I got it to work was to delete the pairing and do it all again.

So my conclusion:
I think the S60 BT software is crap - extremely crap and needs some serious attention. Both the E65 and now the N95 are not behaving in my book.

Next - the GO. There is something definitely wrong with the 3 network settings that they store in the GO. If I manually configure it the only entry I make myself is for the APN. Everything else is the default or blank and dit works each time. The 3 network built-in settings fail every time without fail.

If I re-pair them each time, most of the time I get it working, however recent attempts have seen the last stage fail, the bit where it sends your TT account details through. I have left it at that point for a whole trip (45 minutes worth) and monitored the GPRS packet transfer. Data is sent at the start of the process, but then the connection sits there and does nout.

The TT sat there for 45 minutes doing nothing as far as the data was concerned. It still directed my although there was no map display.

Now that alone is a total failure on TTs part. It should have either timed out or resent the data at intervals.

My data connection is perfectly fine, it works every time. I will get my Nav 6 system out at some point and see how that behaves with the N95.

So the combination of S60 BT software and the way in which TT do not correctly handle their networking data I think is to blame.

But as we all know they are not going to take any notice of what we say about it.

I will try switching my phone off before using the GO next time and see if that makes it any better.
Pauldp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I had forgotten about the sounds suddenly failing.

I think this can also happen when you have the sound volume up loud, and have it also set to adjust according to the external sound level using the microphone on the unit. Sometimes it gets confused and I get distortion from the output as it cant get any louder then 100%. I think it gets too carried away and then gives up.

I also have now downloaded an SMS application from nokia, which allows PC suite to get the messages from the phone. Someone commented on another thread that this would be needed so that the TT unit to get the messages from the phone.

I have yet to try and resynch the TT and see if it picks up the messaging options.
dcross
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re the sound thing - I don't have the auto adjust option enabled, I just leave the volume at 90% and adjust it manually if needed.

On my recent trips, I've set the GO connection to authorised so it has to ask me each time it connects - this is needed since I am disconnecting the GO using the phones BT menu when I'm finished to see if it helps.

It's been hit and miss so far, but I've found that if I just delete the connection on the phone, the next time the GO connects the phone asks for the passkey and then it seems to work ok for that session. I don't need to setup the connection from scratch again or transfer the address book etc.

Can you tell us which SMS app you are talking about, I'd like to try it out.

Cheers.
madasscivic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My tt530 and N95 (not 8gig) are now working fine for some bizzare reason, well i say fine the hands free is but i still cannot send or recieve files between them but it connects and disconnects faultlessly even with powering of the tomtom it connects via BT first time and as i have said earlier the hans free function is faultless.
dcross
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well so far if I disconnect the BT connection from the phones menu 9/10 they will both talk ok the next session. On occasion the hand free has screwed up the audio and I've had to pick up the phone, press Handset and take the call on the handset.

I then have to switch off the TT530 (which then has to reboot itself because the audio has failed), delete the BT connection on the phone and then wait the TT530 to reconnect to the phone.

It's annoying but it works for now.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: