Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Europe Vs UK Speed displays
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Europe Vs UK Speed displays

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Europe Vs UK Speed displays Reply with quote

Hi All. A bit of a weird question from someone who should perhaps know better, but here goes.
The UK and Europe & NI databases are different. The reason given is that UK speeds are in MPH and the others are in some kind of foreign stuff (Kilogrammes per hour, I believe Very Happy ).
Now my Mio 3.2 displays the speed as is, from behind the @ sign as in Gatso12345@70 and seems to be totally unaware of where I am (as far as speed units is concerned) . Now if I were to venture forth across the water, if there were a camera called Gatso12345@70 located there, then it would still be displayed as Gatso 70 There is no conversion done from MPH to KPH or otherwise even if you alter the basic units to metric. The cam readout stays the same.
As far as I can see, it would matter not if the databases were combined (apart from size) as the cam software just blindly follows the number after the @ symbol. So if I am driving on the continent and a cam pops up at 110, I know that this is in KPH not MPH because I amd driving on the continent.
Does other Sat Nav software behave differently?
There must be an obvious reason that I just can't see. Doh Rolling Eyes
gardenshed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what if it says 60? is that 60mph or 60kph? one is nearly twice the speed of the other, well the best part of twice. I would suggest that is why they are separate, and there is a lot of info that generally we don't need to download on a regular basis.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As far as I can see, it would matter not if the databases were combined (apart from size) as the cam software just blindly follows the number after the @ symbol.

It depends on what make you use. Certainly combining the KPH and MPH would mess things up for Garmin users as you set the loading software (POILoader) to MPH or KPH when you load the database. The KPH and MPH databases must be loaded separately for this very reason.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know how the unit reads the camera entries, or if its possible to add letters after the@70, i.e. @70gb and @70kmh if the unit could distinguish between them then would it be possible to uilise two set of voices and two sets of bmp files renamed correspondingly, one speaking at 70 mile and 70 kph and also using the camera pictures with the mph and kmh at the bottom, i know its a bit of a pain but the voices and bmp icons would only have to be done once and possibly worthwhile if you do a lot of cross border travel, i am thinking of tomtoms and ov2 files, just a thought and dont know if its feasible.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:

It depends on what make you use. Certainly combining the KPH and MPH would mess things up for Garmin users as you set the loading software (POILoader) to MPH or KPH when you load the database. The KPH and MPH databases must be loaded separately for this very reason.

Thanks Paul. Question answered.

gardenshed wrote:
what if it says 60? is that 60mph or 60kph?

It would depend where I was travelling. As I know that the continental cams are in KPH and UK cams are in MPH, I would know whether the cam readout was kph or mph depending on where I was travelling without explicitly being told this for every cam, no guesswork required Very Happy hence my reason for asking the question. But it appears from Paul's answer that there are other reasons.

@ aj.
It was realy a academic question, because I couldn't see the reason for the two files (Paul answered that on). I personally have no prob with either database as I generally know what speed I should be limited to (by looking out of the window) so all I'm really interested in is whether a cam is (might be) present that I need to be aware of. Very Happy
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a coincidence!
I just signed up a colleague for the speedcam database today, and because he wanted the euro cameras too (something I've never bothered about) I got to thinking along exactly the same lines as you M8TJT.

Certainly for most brands, the ACTUAL speed is irrelevant, all we need is for the correct icon to be shown when we get near a particular point in space, so the databases COULD be combined.

As an aside....
This colleague has two Gos, one had UK maps AND Western Europe (don't ask me why!) and the other had Western Europe and Eastern Europe. So he wanted the UK camera files on the UK map and BOTH the UK and Europe camera files on the two western Europe maps AND just the Europe camera files on the Eastern Europe map!
Plus of course the replacement icons in both flavours and sizes AND some voice files for all of them!

Then he announced he wanted to change the email address for two TomTom accounts, but I found one of the NEW addresses had ALREADY been set up as a third TT account, when he abortively tried to put both machines on one account.
So I had to juggle three names and three accounts....

I started at 2pm and I've JUST finished. Shocked
(We gave up trying to get Mapshare updates. Rolling Eyes)
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
(We gave up trying to get Mapshare updates. Rolling Eyes)
At least you can sleep tonight knowing that you haven't degraded his map data by updating it then Twisted Evil - Mike
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having the two sets separate also allows you to use different icons and voice alerts for the different types of camera - eg the UK ones could say "Camera, 30mph" and the Euro ones "Camera, 30 kilometres per hour". Also, the icons can show slightly different fonts and could even have the conversion underneath if you wish. Hint, see sig. Wink

A bigger problem with the idea that I can see is what distance to warn you at. 300yds is fine for a 30mph camera but a 30km/h camera would want the warning at 180yds using the 100yds per 10mph rule.
Brodit ProClip mount
gardenshed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="M8TJT"]
PaulB2005 wrote:

gardenshed wrote:

It would depend where I was travelling. As I know that the continental cams are in KPH and UK cams are in MPH, I would know whether the cam readout was kph or mph depending on where I was travelling without explicitly being told this for every cam, no guesswork required Very Happy hence my reason for asking the question. But it appears from Paul's answer that there are other reasons.

A lot of roads I travel on, country routes, with no houses etc could be either 30 40 50 etc if you miss the change down in limit then taffy traffic cop is on you like a dose of salts, it was not meant to be an insult to your intelligence... Wink
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GerryC wrote:
Having the two sets separate also allows you to use different icons and voice alerts for the different types of camera - eg the UK ones could say "Camera, 30mph" and the Euro ones "Camera, 30 kilometres per hour". Also, the icons can show slightly different fonts and could even have the conversion underneath if you wish. Hint, see sig. Wink

But none of that needs to happen if you don't mind it just showing the normal speed signs plus camera type icons (yours or mine Wink ) and working out if you are in a km/h or MPH environment yourself.

Quote:
A bigger problem with the idea that I can see is what distance to warn you at. 300yds is fine for a 30mph camera but a 30km/h camera would want the warning at 180yds using the 100yds per 10mph rule.

THAT is the killer reason for having them separate... Should have thought of that!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="gardenshed"]
M8TJT wrote:
PaulB2005 wrote:

gardenshed wrote:

A lot of roads I travel on, country routes, with no houses etc could be either 30 40 50 etc if you miss the change down in limit then taffy traffic cop is on you like a dose of salts, it was not meant to be an insult to your intelligence... Wink

None Taken. I suppose if you live in the viet taff area, you have to be careful, especially about cams in horse boxes. Rolling Eyes

@ AndyP Warning distance is a good one for some, and obviously very relevant. One of the reasons that I didn't twig that one is that I can't set warning distances on my Mio, it just seems to give more warning the faster you go. Crying or Very sad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: