Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - update queries
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

update queries

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xxxxray
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: update queries Reply with quote

I have just updated my camera files to my Garmin 310.

Query 1:
I previously had the following classifications in my POI:
PocketGPS-UK-Continental
PocketGPS-UK -Gatso
PocketGPS-UK -Mobile
PocketGPS-UK -Red light
PocketGPS-UK -Temp

I now have:
PocketGPS-UK - Cameras
PocketGPS-UK -Pmobile

Have the classifications been condensed into just the two headings or am I missing some updates?

The second query is:
Having updated, I no longer get a warning tone when nearing cameras. The setting for sounds is set to "on" on my Garmin so is there something else I need to do to activate the warning tones.

I would be grateful for advice.

Thank you.
AG
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, it looks like you have downloaded the single file set. you would be better off with the 'consolidated by type' option.

also, make sure that you have proximity alerts turned on for custom poi's in the settings

MaFt
xxxxray
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Many thanks. I will try as you suggest although, the listing guided me to the "one off".

When sending the request for help, I sent it using the screen opened by clicking the help tab but did nmot realise that this was a private message. As a newcomer to the pocket gps world, I could find nothing to guide me differently or, how to open a fortum query or, which forum to put the query on.

May I ask that some guidance therefore be attached to the help box.

Many thanks and many thanks for your response.

Arnold
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi... I'm not a member of the admin team, but a pretty regular user here (although I've been away for a week so am on a massive catch-up exercise today!)

In order to investigate where you are suggesting improvements could be made, could you be a bit more specific about where you've been clicking? For example:
Quote:
When sending the request for help, I sent it using the screen opened by clicking the help tab but did nmot realise that this was a private message.

If I click on the "Help" at the very top of the page (next to "log in" and "subscribe") I don't go to a PM, but to a forum page that has further links for the common problems
HELP WITH REGISTERING FOR NON-MEMBER AREAS
MEMBERSHIP SIGN-UP PROBLEMS
SPEED CAMERA DATABASE QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
All of these take you to further forum pages.

As for:
Quote:
I will try as you suggest although, the listing guided me to the "one off"

The instructions that I found for the POI Loader method (linked to from the big yellow and green compatibility chart) actually say "Choose the database files you require (country and database type) i.e. UK - Speed Zoned Complete", not the "all-in-one".
This could still do with a quick edit though, as I believe the "consolidated by type" version is all you need for most Garmins.
xxxxray
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and very many thanks for your posting.

As you can probaly tell, I am not too good at getting into new areas and this is one!

Where one is au fait with a site, the headings are meaningful. To a novice like me, I can only guess as to "what is where" and "what it all means" and therefore struggle to find where I should go to (please-no comment) or how I get there nor would I know where what classification of topics can be found or, how they are organised.

As a result of the above examples, I spent some hours before I did download because I did not want to ruin my Garmin set up. Might I suggest a brief guide when registering so that inexperienced forum users such as I, can go to the right area.

I cannot recall exactly where I went for help. I did think it was the help tab but, based on the initial reply to my posting, I have somehow sent a private message, another thing I would not know how to do, nor would I know how to start a topic.

In regard to downloading, I went to a page WWW. pocket..../modules.php?name=cameras and then to .....#compatibility. the chart shows download using garmin loader (nuvi) and the next page gave me three choices. I chose the "uk single file" which I now believe incorporates the "consolidated type". (I would be grateful if you counld confirm that).

Finally perhaps I might ask for just a little further advice and ask you to understand that this is the first time I have updated so, would not know whether the answer might be "a change in the software" or "I have a setting set incorrectly".

Before updating, I used to get individual warnings for speed limits and for cameras. Using the Garmin the oteher day after updating, when I approach a camera, a speed warning comes up and won't go away when I press the OK on the screen but, insists on repeating itself.

Is this to warn me of the camera and the speed zone I am in or, as a result of downloading the UK Single File instead of the consolidated type?

Again, very nmany thanks from a novice totally out of his depth.

Arnold
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I chose the "uk single file" which I now believe incorporates the "consolidated type".

The single file database and the Consolidated database both contain the same data, however the data is arranged differently. The single file uses the same icon for all cameras regardless of type. The Consolidated database uses different coloured icons depending on the camera type. In the second option you should select "UK Consolidated By Type" to get the Consolidated database, if that's what you wish to use.

Quote:
when I approach a camera, a speed warning comes up and won't go away when I press the OK on the screen but, insists on repeating itself.

If you are over the speed limit, by default, the Garmin will repeat the warning until, you either a) reduce speed to below the speed limit or b) pass the camera location.

Just out of interest when do you see the OK button? Do you not have the unit in map mode when driving? I only see an OK button if i am in a screen that is not showing the map.
xxxxray
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Speed warning: I was below the speed limit (a good boy am I) when I was repeatedly warned.

OK button: There is a blue band which appears accross the screen on the right hand side of which there is a small circle with OK.

Hope that helps.

I will try and load the consolidated version as that might alleviate the problem.

Once again, thank you
Arnold
xxxxray
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Just a quick thank you, update and correction.

I have loaded the consolidated version. Works much better so, thank you.

Correction. The OK button I referred to: When speed warning comes up in red in bar at top of screen and that is pressed, the camera location etc is displayed and a box bordered blue confirming the speed limit appears. On the right of that box is the OK

Question: The speed limitstart locations have been moved. Is this something Pocketgpsworld would like reported as well as camera locations and, if so, to where are they reported.

Once again, very many thanks

Arnold
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Correction. The OK button I referred to: When speed warning comes up in red in bar at top of screen and that is pressed, the camera location etc is displayed and a box bordered blue confirming the speed limit appears. On the right of that box is the OK

Never seen / heard of this....

Quote:
The speed limitstart locations have been moved. Is this something Pocketgpsworld would like reported as well as camera locations and, if so, to where are they reported.

Not sure what you mean? Do you mean some local speed limits have changed? If so this isn't something covered by the database. There is some speed data in the Garmin maps but can be out of date...
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to

Quote:

My 760 just switches to the 2D view when pressed, just like when you press any part of the map with or without alerts.

You don't have to press anything to see the location as the location will be marked by an icon on the map as you drive. At first it may be a long way off but as you approach and pass it you'll see it on the screen.
xxxxray
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK

Again very many thanks for all your help.

It has been very useful and at least I have an improved system as a result.

Arnold

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: