Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - My new Home-made GO720 mount
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

My new Home-made GO720 mount

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: My new Home-made GO720 mount Reply with quote

Here are some pics of my latest "custom" (ok home-made) mount solution, made from a spare standard windscreen mount I had...

1. First I tried pulling off the sucker... How on Earth some people said these fell apart, I'll never know! It was so firmly welded together, even after I'd snapped off all the "fingers" of the piece covering it, I couldn't pull it apart and a really sharp craft knife had real trouble getting through the rubber.

2. Once I'd got it apart I decided the new "base" was still too thick for where I wanted to put it, so I chopped it down with a hacksaw (meaning I could have done that as step one and left the sucker alone!)

3. Drilled one hole through the flat plate I was now left with.

4. Slid it under the lowest vane of the centre air vent and marked a hole

5. pinged out the vent (wife's palette knife for cake decorating helped with the clips!) and drilled single hole.

6. One small nut and bolt to fix

7. Fed power supply cable up behind dash and into air vent.

8. Put everything back together.

No pictures of the strip down I'm afraid, but here's the end result.

Works a treat - very stable, much easier to reach now and best of all it reduces glare and reflections by a huge amount.

It doesn't look too much like a mount any more, but just in case of attention by 'lowlifes', I have some cunning disguises worked out!

(Apologies to those who've seen this in another forum too).

Last edited by Andy_P on Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jolly_Roger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apology accepted Very Happy

That is rather nifty Cool
gardenshed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you tried the hands free yet? when I mounted mine in the centre console it was very difficult to make ones self heard over road noise, I got the passenger to move it around and found less noise with the window mount. interested if you have any probs, especially in the warm weather Laughing Laughing
spelling error Embarassed
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't usually use the hands free, my ancient PAYG phone has no Bluetooth Embarassed .
But everyone else in the family ha joined the 21st century, so I'll give it a try with one of theirs while we are away next week.
tonygold
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks good but i found a simpler alternative mount.
i bought on ebay for about £1.75 a magnet designed for holding a mobile phone in place. it comes with a small adhesive metal strip that i attached to the back of the tomtom one v2 europe.
the magnet i stuck to the dash near the radio and the tomtom sits very securely on this magnet out of reach of prying eyes etc. added bonus, in my case (mercedes c class) is this mount is directly above the cigarette power socket so the lead folds neatly into the ashtray cubby hole, so no messy trailing wires.
to remove the tomtom is a breeze, and the black magnet is almost invisible against my black dashboard. (pics can be posted if required).
i only use the tomtom mount now if i change cars or hire one abroad. with the thin metal strip on the back of the unit it still slides into the tomtom mount fine, albeit a slightly tighter fit.
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy_P
Yes, it looks simple but very effective. If I had a spare mount for my 720 I would be carrying out the Mod this very day.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
gardenshed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
I don't usually use the hands free, my ancient PAYG phone has no Bluetooth Embarassed .
But everyone else in the family ha joined the 21st century, so I'll give it a try with one of theirs while we are away next week.
post back and let us know, i would be interested to know, my company car is a diesal, so that may be why there is back ground noise? Crying or Very sad Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: