Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom routing calculation in software
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom routing calculation in software

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mpwilson99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Tomtom routing calculation in software Reply with quote

Hi All,

Apologies if this has been covered before and i have missed it.....

I have started using ( well trying out ) my old navcore version 7.15 on the vintage tomtom go 700 yet again, upgrading from version 6.52

Ive noticed that some locations i normally navigate to, are being different routes, and timings, even though im using the same map. 6.75 WE.

One particular journey which seems to have one big increase and really bizarre routing is to Three Bridges station ( Williams Way ).
I seem to have narrowed it down, and come to the conclusion that its because it thinks it will take 5 minutes to turn right into the station.
Hence the rerouting as it thinks going about 2 miles up the road further into Pound Hill and turning back on yourself will be alot quicker.

I did check under the map share correction feature, it does allow traffic to go into the station from the right, which is correct.

My questions are,
does anyone know if and what the calculations are that the software versions use ? The speeds of the roads have not changed on the loaded map, so something in the upgraded software is saying if a turning junction now take 5 mins instead of 20 seconds?

if using version 7, can we alter road speeds, turning a junction speed etc to help fix this problem?

Again, for me this is another reason why i seem to stick to nav 6.52, as i do think that if i was a real stranger to that area, i would be going loop the loop!
I have also checked this on friends tt720`s and they give the same results, so its not a map version problem.

Perhaps a later version of navcore 7, or even 8 will fix this problem?

Regards
MPW
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

newer program versions indeed seem to have a violent aversion of left (or on your island right) turns, as well as U-turns. Unfortunately the weighting for the various maneuvres is not exposed in any settings files, and while you can change the road speed artificially you won't want to do it since it may end up on the map share inadvertedly.

Let's hope TomTom get it closer to being right in a future version.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: