Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 730T camera updates
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 730T camera updates

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anderson24
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: TomTom 730T camera updates Reply with quote

I subscribe to TomToms own speed camera database and every so often you get an email telling you that the database has been updated. I received such an email last week but have not had chance to update my TomTom until now. I have tried several times to update and only mapshare updates etc, download, I have not been offered any camera updates.

Although I remember getting camera uodates a few weeks ago, surely when you get an email informing you of an update, said update should take place when you connect?

I'm off on a long trip tomorrow and really want to get the latest camera updates, so, does anyone know how to force a camera update?
trevor.dowle
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't subscribe to TomTom safety cameras, however they are installed and updated for free at the moment.
When I connect to TT Home for the first time, I accepted the upgrade download to TT Home 2.3. When it loads up, it searches for updates automatically and offers anything that I need automatically.
On the first page are mapshare updates etc.
You then get a page with 5 large icons and a next page arrow.
The first icon is for Add Maps, Traffic, Voices, etc. Selecting this icon takes you to a further 5 icons. One of these is for safety cameras and this is where the files reside. If you have a valid subscription you should be able to download your selection.

I have to say though. I ran the TT cameras in parallel with the ones from this site, and I found those that were there to be inaccurate.
The mobiles are missing, and many of the fixed cameras are either missing or incorrectly located.
Its not worth the money you pay TomTom for this information. I would definately recommend a subscription to PGPSW camera database!

Trev Dowle
TomTom 730 T
anderson24
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor.dowle wrote:
I have to say though. I ran the TT cameras in parallel with the ones from this site, and I found those that were there to be inaccurate.
The mobiles are missing, and many of the fixed cameras are either missing or incorrectly located.
Its not worth the money you pay TomTom for this information. I would definately recommend a subscription to PGPSW camera database!
I've managed to sort out the problem by totally removing any trace of TomTom Home from my Mac and restoring it, and also the settings on the TomTom to factory default.

I subscribed to the Pocket GPS camera database for two years only letting my subscription lapse to take up the TomTom cameras for that 'all in one update' option that makes things a lot easier.

Regrading the TomTom database, I haven't found any 'missing' fixed cameras in around three months of constant use, nor have I found any to be inaccurate in position. Are you aware that in the newer software versions the TomTom camera alerts are not triggered unless you are doing 60%+ of the relevant speed?

I have though, found quite a few alerts that quote the wrong speed, which can be as dangerous as not having an alert at all I guess.

On the subject of the TomTom mapshare facility. I wonder whether Tomtom are actually checking all of the mapshare updates before entering them as 'checked', because there are hundreds of road speed inaccuracies throughout the country.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anderson24 wrote:
Are you aware that in the newer software versions the TomTom camera alerts are not triggered unless you are doing 60%+ of the relevant speed?

That's a new one on me! Can you give more details of software versions etc?

anderson24 wrote:
I have though, found quite a few alerts that quote the wrong speed, which can be as dangerous as not having an alert at all I guess.

On the subject of the TomTom mapshare facility. I wonder whether Tomtom are actually checking all of the mapshare updates before entering them as 'checked', because there are hundreds of road speed inaccuracies throughout the country.

Mapshare cannot even get them right... There is a bug where they are registered in km/h and the conversion means you get figures like 39MPH or 41MPH on screen after a correction!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: