Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - nuvi 360
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

nuvi 360

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gwentvillan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: nuvi 360 Reply with quote

I have nt9 loaded and want to load the 2008 maps on how do i remove the NT9 maps so I have enough room for the 2008 ones ?

Thanks

Andrew
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BACK UP ALL UNIT FILES FIRST!!!

If you have an update DVD from Garmin with an unlock code, DON'T remove the existing files (for the update DVD to work, you MUST have the previous map version installed) - just go through the Garmin update procedure and the update will go in 'over the top'.

If you have a separate FULL-installation DVD, do you have a code for it? If you do, then I think you delete the map info from the unit - if you identify the relevant files you should be able to use normal MS file commands on the drive (D/E?) associated with the connected satnav to delete them. Then install the new maps as instructed. (BUT check any Garmin instructions - they ought to say whether you need to remove files or whether the installation will deal with it.)

If you haven't got a code, it probably won't work.

Might be worth having a look at the Garmin support site FAQ section.
gwentvillan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a FULL dvd and code - do you know which files I need to delete ?
Thanks

Andrew
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't done this on my 360, so I'm a bit reluctant to suggest files to delete, in case it upsets yours. To be honest I'm surprised your update disc doesn't have instructions on the sleeve, or would deal with the upgrading automatically (if you haven't already done it, you might like to just try running the disk first). I also assume that, as your existing map is presumably on internal memory, your disc is suitable for loading data into that (according to the Garmin site, apparently not all are).

Page 48 of the Nuvi 360 user guide suggests looking at the Mapsource Help file - you can download Mapsource from the Garmin site.

Hope this helps.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The firmware upgrade May 2008 for the 3xx/6xx series address an issue with the full 2008NT installation according to the release notes - perhaps this allows you to do the upgrade?

In any event taking a backup of the whole device (make sure you can see the hidden file(s) (I think there is just the one) is the very first thing to do.

Then try an installation from the DVD - the worst that can happen is that it fails due to lack of space.

If you are feeling brave (you can substitute foolhardy... or any other words here!) the installed map is called gmapprom.img and should be in the Garmin folder on your nuvi. This will be the biggest file on the device. I don't know the size of the v9 map but the full European 2008NT takes up a little over 1.43 Gb on my 660.

Deleting this should free up enough space to install the new map. Also remove any mp3/jpg files you may have put on the device - you should be able to put them back later.
nuvi350za
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"BACK UP ALL UNIT FILES FIRST!!!"

I strong agree too!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: