Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 520 Go - NavCore 8, V8 maps - couple issues.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 520 Go - NavCore 8, V8 maps - couple issues.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matulike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: TomTom 520 Go - NavCore 8, V8 maps - couple issues. Reply with quote

Hi there,

I'm new to this site, so HI!, and I am fairly new to playing around with TomToms (other than following the map!).

I followed instructions to upgrade to NavCore 8 on my 520GO (for x30, I believe) which works a treat. No problems at all. I then put v8 map of Western Europe on there too, and again, all good.

Everything worked FINE from this point.

Then, stupidly, I plugged into TomTom Home and it said there was an update, and I updated - unfortunately it was an application update! After that, it didnt work. None of my maps were activated, etc.
So I ran through the same procedure I did before (upgrade to NavCore8).

It seems OK. Well, it works, I can plan routes, etc. 2 little problmes though:

First, I cant change the car icon from the blue arrow. When I press the button to change icon it freezes and the unit restarts (with the drumming sound when it comes back on).

Second, the speech recognition - I just tried a minute ago and it was OK, but the tried again and it doesnt work :-\ (EDIT: the speech recognition works fine when it first comes on - after the drums - but if I try it again, it doesnt work - it TRIES to do it, but just goes onto the text entry thing. So if I take my SD card out and put back in - which makes it play the drums when I turn back on - then speech recognition works, ONCE!)
I havent tried restoring any of the old ASR files from backup yet, I'll give it a go when I get home.
Strangely, when it did work it was only via the icon that doesnt hAVE (DIALOGUE) next to it. I dont know what difference there is between the two...

The car icons are in the /art/car/ folder... I'll try moving from SD to device and vice versa.

I might even just do a full restore and start from scratch later.

It works well, but those 2 things are gonna bug me if they arent working 100%

So, Anyone else come across this issue? Particularly the car symbols - there's loads of stuff on forums about speech recognition, so I'll try to sort that out later... The reboot when selecting 'Change Car Icon' button is the worrying thing.

I also havent tried doing a paperclip reset yet either. Would/Should that help?

Thanks in advance for any help!!!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum.

First off, the reset button does no harm - just like the reset on your PC.

Now, let's have a bit more info please.

The 520 comes without an SD card. Does it work without the SD card inserted?

How did you get hold of Navcore 8 and the v8 map? What were the instructions? Both should have required you to plug into Home, so you should have been there already. Have you installed both Navcore 8 and the v8 map onto the SD card? How big is the SD card?

As v8 maps are not yet released for the 520, you have no support from TomTom and no assurance it'll work properly.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
matulike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for the reply :o)

I have a 520 with a 2GB SD card. The Western Europe maps which I just installed are on the SD card, the Navcore8 install was a case of copying a few files I got over the ones in the TomTom memory (not the SD).

It works fine, I just got home using the v8 maps, the lane thingy works, the traffic even works better - it redirected me to avoid a jam! IQ is working.

The only thing that's not working is the car symbol - if I try to change it, I press the 'Change car symbol' button and the thing freezes up and 'reboots' (giving the drum sound when it comes back up.

Also, the voice recognition - this is even more wierd. After a reboot, with the drums, I can go into Navigate, Postcode, speech (not the one with 'dialogue' - whatever that does), just the speak one, and it works. If I try it a second time, it doesnt!

I might try restoring to 7, then going thru it again.

I think the problems arose when I updated the 'application' after having done all this. None of the maps were activated, and I had problems. But I just copied across the files again for Nav8, and aqctivated my maps...and it works!

To be honest, I can live with the blue arrow, but I'd just like it to work, and I can live without voice commands too - but would like it to work!

My daughter likes the pink car symbol, so I need to find a way to get that wortking!
That DID work after I upgraded to Nav8 - BEFORE I did the application update. SO something to do with that - screwed it up!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly have you got the map set to 3D mode as custom car cursors can only be used while in 3D mode?
Assuming the above is set to 3D and it still doesn't work try copying the "art" folder from the built in memory and put it in the root of the SD card, there have previously been a few problems with maps on the card and certain files being stored on internal memory - I don't know if this will fix it, but it is worth a try - Mike
matulike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Fraid not....it is set to 3D mode for the map, and I already tried copying a few .bmp's from the internal art/car directory. There were about 5 pics in the art/car dir on the SD already, including 'Default' - being an arrow...

:o(

Can I safely wipe the whole TomTom and get myself back to factory settings now that I've done this Navcore8 upgrade?

Would restoring an old backup do it, and wiping the SD?

Then I'll try again from scratch!
matulike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, the voice recognition works now - unless I try to use the one with (Dialogue) by it (what does that mean anyway?!).
The normal one seems fine.

I copied the support_asr.dat file into the ASR folder.

Still no luck with car icon tho!
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom 520 Go - NavCore 8, V8 maps - couple issues. Reply with quote

matulike wrote:

I followed instructions to upgrade to NavCore 8 on my 520GO (for x30, I believe) which works a treat. No problems at all. I then put v8 map of Western Europe on there too, and again, all good.

Can you tell us what instructions you followed please?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd still like to know please ...

A) WHAT instructions did you follow to upgrade to Navcore 8? WHERE did you get those files from?
B) HOW did you get the v8 map?
C) After the "update" from Home, "none of your maps were activated"? Which maps have you got?
D) When you updated the application from Home, what application version did it update to?

The voice DIALOGUE feature will only work if you are using a computer voice (it needs to have a "Dialogue" with you which can only be done by the computer voice).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
matulike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, the maps I've got are UK and ROI (which came with the device when I bought it) and Western and Central Europe (which came with a few other bits on a CD my friend gave me -- I believe he downloaded it)

My firmware version is now 8.002.

The Western Europe map is V8 - because the lane direction thing works. Also the traffic RDS thing works much better too - it redirected me to avoid a bit of traffic earlier. IT';s NEVER properly done that before.

I followed instructions which came with all the progs. The first update was:
Text Deleted By PaulB2005. That worked fine.
Then I installed the map. That worked fine. (Text Deleted By PaulB2005. ). I can also use the UK map, but with no lane direction). The EU map doesnt seem to have cameras, thats the only downside I can see.

I used a document (that seemed like it'd been babelfish translated :\) and was part of this pack:Text Deleted By PaulB2005.

Wat files are needed for speedcameras - are they just the same as any other POI? I just seem to haveText Deleted By PaulB2005.

The version of the application I downloaded 'by accident' - well, not exactly sure- is the a log somewhere. It was yesterday and it would've been for a 520GO. If that helps!?

Thanks in advance...

If you think wipe+start again is the best option, please say so - I'm fairly 'au fait' with computers, *nix, and this kinda technology - so I have no issues formatting! After working with Windows for solong, you kind of get used to it :-)
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for making my legally purchased maps more expensive.....

As well as the pirated maps, you've also got a cracked copy of the firmware, so no surprise if it doesn't work properly.

Camera database from here costs £19 a year and you get full instructions and advice, but I presume you don't want to pay for that either...
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As i (and i guess everyone else here) suspected.

I've removed the links and the thread is now locked.

matulike - Check the forum rules here before posting again.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: