Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Problems with new 930t
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems with new 930t

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CharlieR
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Problems with new 930t Reply with quote

Got my new 930t today, and backed it up, updated mapshare and now when I turn it on i get the picture of the tom tom in the cradle with a big flashing red x. TT home tels me I can disconnect but it makes no difference.

Any Ideas

Charlie
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got a backup of the device on the PC? - if so install this to the device.
If not connect the defective device to the PC and shut down TomTom Home, start Windows Explorer and locate the drive letter associated with the TomTom, click this to open the drive letter and view the contents of the device.
Select everything and copy it to a folder on the PC.
Once this is done select all the files in the root of the device DO NOT SELECT ANY FOLDERS and delete the losse files.
Fire up TomTom Home and ask it to update the device, this will download the required files that you have deleted and restore the device to working condition - Mike
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides Mike's excellent reply, I suspect your problem was created by not disconnecting your device properly from the docking station. In other words, before the unit had time to write the data to internal storage.

To disconnect: Use TTHome's Device--Disconnect but do NOT do so when the screen says it's ok to do so. Wait till you see the screen on the unit show the progress bgar complete as it writes to memory. Still, do NOT disconnect yet. Wait till the unit reverts back to the screen asking if you want to connect to the computer. Say 'no' and then power off and remove the unit.
CharlieR
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I waited until it said remove the device, I have tried to restore it and nothing changes.

Just copying the backup files to it. Touch wood this will correct the problem.

Regards

Charlie
CharlieR
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That worked, thanks v much.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see it worked. In a previous post, I noticed you said you removed the unit when TTHome said it was ok to do so. PLEASE heed my previous advice (not just my advice, it's just prudent) and do NOT disconnect yet.
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not trust anything Home tells you !! there are to many problems caused by disconnecting the device before it has had chance to finish( not through your fault may I add)

Tomtom should have sorted this out by now and put some sort of procedure in place to stop it happening
CharlieR
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it working again and then updated mapshare, everything ok. Disconnected from home on the device tab. Blue line at the bottom appeared and yellow bar came across the screen with the hard drive showing, that finished and device disconnected from home. Powered off, then on again, it did not aske for me to connect to the computer, did not connect to home so I powered it off again, removed from docking station and switched it on. Made the tom tom sound and the yellow bar came across the screen again then the big red x re-appeared again.

I am restoring it again as before.

Am i doing it correct?

Cheers

Charlie
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems you are still powering off too early. After the progress bar completes, DON'T power off the unit UNTIL the unit itself gets to the screen asking if you want to connect to the computer. Then say 'no'. Then, and only then, power off. Not before.
CharlieR
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did it again and this time after it updated it showed the tom tom picture with the IQ routes pic this time it then went to the navigate to. Seems to be working now?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: