Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help with bluetooth GPS and Ipaq
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with bluetooth GPS and Ipaq
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:33 pm    Post subject: Help with bluetooth GPS and Ipaq Reply with quote

Please be gentle with me. Im new to Ipaqs, Bluetooth and Tomtom GPS.
Have just bought an Ipaq2210 (Pocket PC 2003) with Mav 3 and Tomtom BT.
Out of the box, it was working ok (although I did notice the issue with setting up maps with no GPS). I got myself a new SD card, so reinstalled Nav 3. I also tried to get my Ipaq talking to my PC and phone. Now, I can't get the ipaq to take to the GPS.
I've read various posts here and there appears to be a number of issues,. But to be honest I'm finding the replies confusing (due to me not fully understanding the terminology/kit) and if they apply or not!

Could someone explain how to get them talking again, preferably in
simple terms? :-)
Is it possible the GPS thinks it is paired and the Ipaq doesn't (it looks to me
as if the ipaq thinks it is not paired). Perhaps its a case of re-pairing them?
How? Is the default pair code for Tomtom GPS 0000?
I'm happy to re-install everything. But I'd like to know what 's gone wrong.
I'm not sure what COM ports are in use (in fact I don't know if they use COM ports to talk). How do I find out? I'm not sure what drivers I have (and don't know how to find out) but they are the ones straight out of the box.

Lots of questions I know, but as you can see... I'm a little overwhelmed with it all!
Any help appreciated.

Pete
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, they use COM ports to talk (albeit virtuals) . And they don't really need the pairing/bonding to function -it's just an added element of comfort.

So here is what you need to verify

- The TomTom BT is fully charged, and switched on.
- BlueTooth is switched on on the 2210
- on the 2210 the BlueTooth Manager can see teh TomTom BT
- tap and hold the icon for the TomTom BT. A popup appears that says "Connect to serial port". Tap this. (This is the point where the iPAQ subscribes to the service that the TomTom BT is providing
- Now that the TomTom BT is sending the data stream to the 2210, startup TomTom Navigator
- go to the GPS screeen, and set it to "TomTom Wireless GPS" and "BlueTooth port".
- on the "Status" tab you should now see the dots wandering and - hopefully - some red bars appearing soon.
- tap on the bars which takes you back to TomTom.

That should be it. If it doesn't work then try to set the GPS to "NMEA 38400" and "COM5:" (or any other COM port that's looking like it could be the one provided by the TmTom BT receiver)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of other things, as always, a soft reset never harms, is this TomTom Navigator 2 or 3? and what manufacturer is the SD card?
PW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Managed to get it working by (sort of) following your instructions.
This what I needed to do
- Remove all other BT devices... not sure if this had any effect.
- Did Soft reset
- Turn BT GPS on. BT already enabled on Ipaq.
- Into BT Manager. No active connections. No icons for TomTom.
- Did connect->discover services - this caused GPS to appear.
- Long click on GPS, which allowed me to connect serial port.
This now appears in the My shortcuts.
- On starting Nav... hurrah! :-)
- Tried turning Bluettoth on and off and it still works... I'm v. pleased!
Do you think I messed up by bonding to the phone/PC or is there an inherent problem with having more than one BT device?
To Answer some of the other questions. GPS screen shows Tomtom on COM8.... lots of red bars :-)
SD card is an Adata Technology card... no idea if this is good or bad.
Nav version is 3.

Only worry now is when Nav USA arrives. I guess I will have to uninstall and wipe the SD card (both app and maps are on the SD card) and install Nav USA. Will this cause a problem or is there a better solution to doing this? I will only use Nav USA on an infrequent basis. It would be so much simpler if I could just stick the US maps on with my Nav 3!
I read stuff about various GPS/BT drivers not working too well and people upgrading. How can you tell which versions I'm running? What would be a good version/setup for Nav USA so it just works?!!!

Thanks guys for the help. If you could give me pointers for Nav USA then
that would be excellent.

PW.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your SD card is big enough then you could perform a full backup to the card with TT Europe Installed then move this backup to your PC, wipe the iPAQ, install TT USA and repeat the backup process. This then gives you a backup of each installation from which you can restore as you choose.

It's not perfect but until TomTom release a US v3 it's the best I can think of!
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are switching between European and US maps infrequently then there is an easier way. The only thing you need to do is keep the applications (TomTom Navigator 2 and TomTom Navigator 3) in different directories. You can then either replace the link on the start menu or create two of them, one pointing to TTN3 and one pointing to TTN2.

As I described elsewhere the drawback is that they still use the same registry branch which causes some small issues when you switch back and forth (both programs think you are running them for the first time). But if you switch between them infrequently then you may be able to live with that.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
PW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help.

Pete
Steveg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

I have been following the past few messages with interest as I plan to purchase the US maps at some point (My wife is American). I am in no hurry and plan to wait until TomTom USA 3 comes out (We shall not be visiting back there until next year as this year the family are visiting us).

My question however is this... If I buy TTN 3 for USA am I buying the full programme and will have to uninstall my UK programme or would I be able to (as I originally thought and planned) to install the maps only on a separate SD card and just switch the card to use the appropriate region - I have TTN3 on the PPC memory not on the card so thought this was only a matter of switching maps.

I know I am asking about something which is not yet released, and therefore asking the impossible, but how does it work with TT2 at the moment? I presume it will be much the same with TT3 (unless they read this and follow up on what I ask! Mr. Green )

It would be interesting to read your thoughts/Ideas

Cheers

Steve
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If as is likely they follow the same path as TTNav2 then whilst you will have to buy the full TTNav USA package (maps and application), if you already have TTNav 3 Europe installed you can choose to just install the USA maps.

You could also choose to install US Voice (circle, freeway etc) or keep English.
Steveg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Darren

That sounds just as I had planned - TT USA on a separate SD Card Probably my current 128Mb (if it fits) and I will get a larger card for the UK and maps of Europe.

Shame that I will have to pay for the application all over again though - but so be it

Steve
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure you alreday realise this but you won't get the whole USA on a 128MB card! See here for the sizes of individual states and regional section maps.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steveg wrote:
Cheers Darren

Shame that I will have to pay for the application all over again though - but so be it

Steve

You don't pay anything for the application. You always only pay for the maps. The application is free. Everyone can download it from the TomTom site. It is only included on the map CDs as a convenience.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Steveg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for that Lutz - I truly had not realised that - so saying the application is no good whatsoever without the maps etc so it may as well be the same

Cheers

Steve
Steveg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Darren

Yes I see what you mean now - for the whole USA the file size would be just under 900Mb, rather more than the average SD can handle :D

So saying it would seem that the map can be loaded in sections, and as I am only likely to need Michigan (with occasional rare forays into Ohio and maybe Illinois) then I forsee no real problem.

When you purchase the USA maps though, do you in fact get the whole USA? I am thinking of possible visits to other more distant family members in Florida and (Yipree for living there) Las Vegas! Albeit these will be VERY rare visits.

Thanks

Steve
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, you get 7 CDs with all kinds of state permutations. They don't have the Major Roads map yet - that is supposed to come with TTN3

So with TTN2 you can't drive from Michigan to Florida. With TTN3 this will be possible.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: