Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Volume on Bluetooth calls
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Volume on Bluetooth calls
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dodge62
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Volume on Bluetooth calls Reply with quote

I have a GO 920T and a Nokia 6021. I'm impressed by the Bluetooth functionality, but the volume is so quiet its pretty much unusable. The nav instructions are plenty loud enough routed through the internal speaker, but phone calls definitely aren't.

Is there a way to change the volume (perhaps in some hidden config file?) Does it depend on the phone? I could consider upgrading the phone if it's going to make a difference.
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Volume on Bluetooth calls Reply with quote

Dodge62 wrote:
I have a GO 920T and a Nokia 6021. I'm impressed by the Bluetooth functionality, but the volume is so quiet its pretty much unusable. The nav instructions are plenty loud enough routed through the internal speaker, but phone calls definitely aren't.

Is there a way to change the volume (perhaps in some hidden config file?) Does it depend on the phone? I could consider upgrading the phone if it's going to make a difference.

Forgive me, but have you tried the obvious - increasing the volume on the phone.

Let me explain...

You can increase the volume on the phone, entirely dependent on what type of use the phone is in at that time.

So, if you are on a call, using the handset, increasing the volume, does exactly that, and ups the volume, of what is heard through the earpiece.

And it will remember this for all calls on the handset, using the earpiece.

HOWEVER, if you are engaged in a call, and using the phone's Loudspeaker function, then even if you last set the volume to full when in a normal call, this DOES NOT mean the volume is already set to full for SpeakerPhone calls.

You would need to increase the volume to full while in a Loudspeaker call, for it to remember that setting for future loudspeaker calls.

And in exactly the same way, if you use a BlueTooth headset (or in our case, link to a BlueTooth Audio Device, a la TomTom device), then the volume of the phone when engaged in a call using BT device, will also NOT automatically be set to full - you again need to set it to full once, while in a Handsfree call, for it to remember this setting.

And the same for a "headset" call, as some devices elect to utilise "Headset Profile" rather than "Handsfree" profile.

But I think you get the picture now - every different 'type' of call on a Nokia phone, is seen, quite rightly, as a different sort of call.

So you need to set the volume loud on all the relevant types, for this to be remembered for future such calls.

So next time a call comes in via TomTom, make sure you increase the PHONE volume to full.

Finally, one word of caution - it is a know 'feature' as opposed to meant to be a bug, whereby the COMPUTER voices (those that utilise TTS), on a TT device, are for some reason, boosted louder than ANY other type of voice, such as standard voice, or .ogg or .wav file recording of your own.

This means that if you set the volume level just right for this element, then they will be slightly too low for other voices and sounds alas.

Hope this helps, let us know...
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it is the INCOMING volume on the TomTom you are asking about, I don't think the above will help you.

Anyway, to give you the quick answer, there IS a hidden volume control.

Basically if you go to the normal TomTom volume control page DURING a call (tap screen, bottom left), you get another volume control for calls only, but it's often on full already!
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
As it is the INCOMING volume on the TomTom you are asking about, I don't think the above will help you.

Anyway, to give you the quick answer, there IS a hidden volume control.

Basically if you go to the normal TomTom volume control page DURING a call (tap screen, bottom left), you get another volume control for calls only, but it's often on full already!

Not to be argumentative (chrikey, I've been accused enough today by the fan-boys *Laughing Out Loud*), but you could be wrong Andy.

That is, not necessarily in this specific case, as it is likely that he has it to full already, but wrong in thinking it won't make a difference to any case like this.

Because if the Phone is linking to the Device via BT using either Headset, or Handsfree Profile, as I believe they do, then the volume as set via the phone CAN and does make a difference.

For example, during a call routed to my TT, if I use the volume buttons on my PHONE to lower my volume, then I can drop it all the way down, so nothing can be heard just about.

So by the converse token, then increasing the volume UP, if it is not already at full, will increase my volume.

Hence why I suggest it here.

Thing is, I suspect he likely already has it to full, so in that respect, you are likely right on it not making any difference, but not for the reason I suspect you think...?

But given the beatings I take on here, it's a REALLY brave step of me posting that today, telling a SOUND ENGINEER he might be wrong about something to do with sounds *Laughing Out Loud*

Hope you see the light-hearted side of what I say, as I am sure some won't. I hope they desist from posting though.

But do you follow what I mean though about the sound volume as set via the phone, and how this can make a difference, if not set to full - at least it does on mine....
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over to you Dodge....
Dodge62
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys - no, I haven't actually tried that. I had upped the volume to max on the phone when it wasn't in use, but it didn't occur to me it would have effectively a second volume control for Bluetooth. I assumed Bluetooth would be at a fixed level - equivalent to a "line" level, and any volume changes would be made on the receiving device.

Will try it first thing tomorrow and report back.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodge62 wrote:
Will try it first thing tomorrow and report back.
Please do - my Nokia won't access its own volume button whilst I'm in a Bluetooth phone call on the TomTom, so if you succeed in that I'd be impressed. Only the TT volume is accessible for me, so Andy's solution is the only one for me.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Johnny_D
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadmehir is technically correct - During a BT headset call the BT volume can be adjusted.

However it's how Nokia handles itself when it believes it's in a car-cradle. Which is what the Nokia believes when it's connect to a TTG.

So you need to adjust the volume on the TTG - Not the phone :D

JD
Bloody Superb PGPSW Camera Database.
Not much else!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There y'go -just like me and bungee jumping. Technically possible Very Happy , but physically impossible.
Thank goodness we've got a Nokia expert in at last - I've had more than a dozen TT GOs, all of which needed the volume adjusting on the TT during a Bluetooth phone call when the Nokia refused to react - I always knew this, now I know why. Johnny_D, may I please preserve this for ever and impress my grandsons with it without ever crediting you?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sighs and bites tongue.

But thanks Johnny for the other reply.

But again, it depends, as I said right at the start, on the Nokia itself too.

As Johnny, you mention that the Nokia treats the TT as a car cradle.

There is no such Bluetooth Profile, but I know what you mean - you mean it treats the connected device as "Handsfree" BT Profile.

If so, some of my Nokias allow me to increase the volume (forgive me, er "other people", as I am not wanting to fan the flames, but did you all miss the fact that I have stated I can already do this for real with some of my Nokias and TT - I will have to play around again and see which ones it was).

But more importantly, and relevant to what I said, is that not all Nokias work that way - some only see it as a "Headset" profile, which whilst technically poorer, in terms of less functionality and features, certainly allows for volume increase via the phone.

Just to give example, my Motorola, or O2 Blue (a re-branded G-Trek) BT Headset, both have their own dedicated volume buttons, as do a TT device.

But nevertheless, pressing the volume buttons up and down on the phone, or using the equivalent on those many Nokias that don't have dedicated keys, will also increase and decrease the volume through the headset.

So it all depends on the Nokia, and in addition, the implementation of whether it sees the device as "Headset" or "Handsfree".

Oh and of course "A2DP" is filtering through now, but I believe that has little bearing on current TT devices - it would more be for the audio OUT from TomTom in terms of voice commands, to an external A2DP device, as opposed to the other way round.

For telephony, either "Headset" or "Handsfree" BT profile will be used.

My brother's BMW in-built BT car kit, utilises the correct "Handsfree" profile, as does TT on most Nokias.

And yet, he can readily increase or decrease the volume of a call, using the volume on his phone.

All the phone is doing here, is adjusting the level of the sound as passed to the BT device.

Then of course the BT Device (car kit, or tomtom) can then have its OWN volume control to increase or decrease this volume - but it is increasing or decreasing the volume passed to it at the MAXIMUM as set by the device.

If you follow.

Hope this is not seen as either inflammatory, or wandering off topic - as far as I can tell, it's exactly still relevant to the original question asked, or moreover, other people who might look in on the post for their own experiences, based on the title of the post.

Shadamehr.

(Owner, as per his signature strip on other forums, of what is now his Sixty-ninth ever Nokia, since his first mobile brick all those years ago).
Johnny_D
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words Dennis :D

I'm afraid there are two sides to being a nokia expert. Handset and Network. I'm afraid i'm the network end :p

The bottom line is pritty much that each handset has it's own software version. Each network can add or remove certain functionality. Which means you can end up with 1 handset with 6 different variations on functionality. And then Nokia do issue software updates - but these allmost only ever get applied when the handset leaves a network operator (O2, orange ect ect) -OR- goes back for repair, or the user does it themself [Bloody dangerous for those who are not trained].

I'm no handset expert - but each handset will behave slightly differently!

To answer the original post there is another way to increase the BT Volume. Get a standard Blue Tooth headset [Friend, family or your own] connect it up. Make a call [Use voicemail for instance] and set the volume to max.

Then connect it to the TomTom with it's independent BT Volume and you can turn that up as well.

Good luck!

JD
Bloody Superb PGPSW Camera Database.
Not much else!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will have noticed certain posts have been removed - lets keep within the forum rules please, personal attacks and such like are not permitted - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't want to get into another argument, but seems to me some of the wrong posts got deleted....

If nothing else, can we (as I think someone said)
keep ur posts simple
keep ur posts clear
keep ur posts BRIEF!
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Don't want to get into another argument, but seems to me some of the wrong posts got deleted....

If nothing else, can we (as I think someone said)
keep ur posts simple
keep ur posts clear
keep ur posts BRIEF!

I had responded to the poster of that to add:

"Golden Rule Number 1, however"

Don't post AT ALL, if your post is not relevant, necessary, or warranted, or it doesn't add merit, information, value, or worth, to the thread (you could also include humour too, as that is surely warranted sometimes)

Especially as the "humour" ticket is what I am posting this one under the asupices of.

*Laughing Out Loud*

Smiles all - hope this helps, or rather, raises a chuckle!
klystron_generator
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

golden rule number 2:

don't respond if your post is less than 10 screens full of text at the highest screen resolution

golden rule number 3:

don't respond if somebody disagrees with your point of view

Laughing Rolling Eyes Shocked Confused

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: