Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Can I update the petrol station POIs without buying new maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Can I update the petrol station POIs without buying new maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chipstix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Can I update the petrol station POIs without buying new maps Reply with quote

Hi All,

Is it possible to update the petrol station POIs without buying new maps on my Garmin Streetpilot i3?

Its frustrating when I'm low on fuel on my bike, and I get taken to a block of flats instead of an Esso!

Was thinking, as I have added speed cameras, can I also update the other POIs. (If it was easy I'd update the whole lot, attractions, lodging etc)

Thanks for your help!

Chris
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are talking about the in-built POIs then there is nothing you can do to amend/delete/add to these. There is nothing to stop you from downloading Petrol Station info from elsewhere and add these as addtional POIs along with the speed cameras. If you place them in a folder on your PC along with the speed cameras and then run POILoader, it will create a category (named the same as the folder name) for you on your GPS. This will allow you to get a list of nearest stations from your current location. Use added POIs are always presented in distance order from your current (or last recorded) position.
Chipstix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: good tip, wth some more questions Reply with quote

Thanks Phil, good tip - yes it was the inbuilt POIs I was talking about…..

Where would I get such an up-to-date petrol station POI list from. How would this be used in practice. Would I still use 'find - nearby - fuel, lodgings and more'? If the new POI list could go in a separate folder there, then I could only search within the 'new' and uptodate list of fuel stations?

The only problem is, if the nearest petrol station POI to my current position is an old and 'out-of-date' location, then I could still be mislead and find no fuel. Is there any way round this?

I guess if nothing else it reduces the 'chances' of getting a false petrol station.

Thanks for your help,

Chris
eddieo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with petrol stations POI are that many are being sold of because of the value of the land they sit on..... so this situation will persist and keep getting worse. all you can do is use more up to date POI Smile

For instance, om my 10 mile route to work in London 3 have closed recently - approx 30%
Chipstix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: replace rather than add-on Reply with quote

I see.

But is there a way to get an updated list and install it on the unit, but replacing the original list rather than just adding to it.

- or install in such a way, as the up-to-date list can be navigated to with the unit (thereby ignorning the old POIs)?

Also, where can I get up to date POI data from? Somewhere on this forum?

Thanks, Chris
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without knowing exactly how the Garmin works, I don't see a reason why you couldn't download the "Fuel" POI set from this site (there's 10,138 locations currently in the 318,000 FREE POIs section on the site (link in banner at the top).

As Phil said, you would need to load this along with the cameras via POILoader and treat them as separate to the in-built set.

If the CSV version isn't for Garmins, someone will be along shortly to tell me off. Confused
Brodit ProClip mount
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But is there a way to get an updated list and install it on the unit, but replacing the original list rather than just adding to it.

I'm afraid not. The built in POIs are built into the map data and can only be updated with the newer maps.

Quote:
- or install in such a way, as the up-to-date list can be navigated to with the unit (thereby ignorning the old POIs)?

The POIs will also appear under Where to?, Custom POIs and will be seperate from the built in POIs.

Quote:
If the CSV version isn't for Garmins, someone will be along shortly to tell me off.

Yes it is.
Chipstix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Done it! Reply with quote

Fantastic.

I've loaded the fuel station POIs onto my i3, and they all now appear in 'Custom Points' menu. So whenever I'm running 'on fumes' I can find a reliable fuel station position. I won't be using the 'Food, Hotels and More' option for fuel stations from now on!

Thanks guys.

Chris

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: