Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - maps of usa on a 720 running V8 and tomtom thoughts
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

maps of usa on a 720 running V8 and tomtom thoughts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cejsmith
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: maps of usa on a 720 running V8 and tomtom thoughts Reply with quote

Tomtom drive me mad, I'm trying to get V8 maps for the 720 as I'm going to the US early next month.

Here is my conversation with tomtom!!!!! Do they think we are stupid?

When are version 8 maps coming out for the 720? I going to the USA next month...

When are version 8 maps coming out for the 720? I going to the USA next month...

Dear Mr Smith,

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support
Your reference for your query is 080723-003129.

Version 8 maps are not built for the X20 devices. These devices are very similar to the X30 devices, but they have slightly different hardware, hence the reason that at this stage version 8 maps are only available for the X30 devices.

We do not as yet have a date of the map release, please subscribe to our newsletter if you wish to be informed of our latest releases.

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team

Should you wish to update your TomTom Question, please log in to your TomTom account via the TomTom website.

Thanks for the quick reply.

But I'm sorry, version 8 maps do work on 720( also what are the hardware differences between the 720 and 730 apart from colour). Please while I understand that you have a corporate line to follow on this matter,you answer is boardering on the the mad!!!! Tomtom doesn't know what tomtom is doing!!!!!

Seems a bit silly to me.

Can you confirm that if I buy v7 this week it wont be replaced by v8 start of august and please dont say there is no date , I'm sure someone in tomtom knows.

Thanks

Dear Mr Smith,

Your reference for your query is 080723-003129.

The X30 devices are different devices to the X20 series. The version 8 maps are only availible for the GO 530, 730 and 930, and will not work on other devices. It is likely that version 8 maps are currently being created for the X20 series, but this has not been confirmed and there is no date of release for these

Sorry that doesn't answer my question. Why shouldn't I be able to buy the v8 map when it is avaible already and being used on 30series machines.

Is it tomtom's policy to make people buy out of date things when more upto date things are present?

Dear Mr Smith,

Currently as of yet we do not have a date when version 8 maps will be released for the GO 720 devices. If you purchase the version 7 maps we can not offer you a free update to version 8 if/when they are released.

When are version 8 maps coming out for the 720?

I going to the USA next month and need a map. I'm happy to buy v 7 maps if you give me a free upgrade to v 8 maps when they come out. Seems daft to by v7 maps when I'm running v8
mattstachurski
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop it! I give up with tomtom, have now disabled hands free as its more trouble then good! As for version 8 maps!!! i'm thinking why bother, i have the 720 and have changed LOTS of poi positions/road errors since i have had it. My dad has just bought the 730 and not one of my changes (all valid ones) is on his new map, why do i bother changing things if these changes are not checked and utilised by tomtom to make their maps better for all?? i'm not going to invest in the new maps when there out for x20. I can read signs so lane guidance is no loss.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you will miss out on the IQ route which are well worth the update from my experience, the lane assistance is handy, the reality view though is eye candy that I have disabled - overall the vs8 maps are quite a step forwards from the v7 even though they are complied from the same data.

As for MapShare, it is a great idea, but I have yet to see it implemented in a way that benefits the end user - huge potential with thousands of users sending map defects in, but if the information isn't embodied to the map data it isn't much use - Mike
mattstachurski
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very good point i never thought of! will have to persuade the old man to swap devices for a bit and see if i can notice much difference.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody with a v8 (UK) map care to browse map to N51.33454, W2.33286? Look at the three side "roads" which show as open roads. They are farm tracks, one is pure grass, one is dirt and one is very roughly surfaced with something approaching degenerated tarmac. They are all private and are marked accordingly on v660 map (November 2006) and v675 map (April 2007).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Anybody with a v8 (UK) map care to browse map to N51.33454, W2.33286? Look at the three side "roads" which show as open roads. They are farm tracks, one is pure grass, one is dirt and one is very roughly surfaced with something approaching degenerated tarmac. They are all private and are marked accordingly on v660 map (November 2006) and v675 map (April 2007).

Yes, Dennis, all shown as open roads.
Samsung Galaxy S21
lamplight
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
They are farm tracks, one is pure grass, one is dirt and one is very roughly surfaced with something approaching degenerated tarmac..

Dennis, I have noticed more than a few of these instnaces with V8 map. For example, N52.63092,W0.96282 is a scarcely discernible track, barred by a a metal gate that is grown over and not been opened for years - yet shown as a road.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lamplight wrote:
Dennis, I have noticed more than a few of these instances with V8 map.
They have been creeping in ever since v660 maps (November 2006) were superceded. In order to cram "more" into less, TT have been omitting this sort of thing all over the place. Another "economy" of space has been to alter the "accuracy" of roads, with the recent maps having fewer points for bends - a bend is now sometimes made up from say two straight bits whereas previously it was three or four.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: