Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - A Road service areas - help wanted
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

A Road service areas - help wanted
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geddit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: A Road service areas - help wanted Reply with quote

I am trying to produce a POI for major A road services - must have petrol/diesel, open 24 hrs, toilets, food (not nec 24 hr) and rest area.

I have these so far:

"A1 Edinburgh"
"A1 Adderstone"
"A1 Alnwick"
"A1(M) Washington S"
"A1(M) Washington N"
"A1(M) Durham"
"A1 Scotch Corner"
"A1 Leeming Bar"
"A1 Gateshead"
"A1 Markham Moor"
"A1(M) Peterborough"
"A1(M) Baldock"
"A1(M) South Mimms"
"A10 Buntingford"
"A11 Sawston"
"A14 Cambridge West"
"A23 Pease Pottage"
"A30 Sourton Cross"
"A34 Oxford"
"A34 Tot Hill"
"A34 Sutton Scotney S"
"A34 Sutton Scotney N"
"A40 Whitchurch E"
"A40 Whitchurch W"
"A40 Oxford"
"A5 Bangor"
"A55 Kinmel Park"
"A64 Tadcaster"
"A720 Dreghorn"
"A77 Kilmarnock"
"A77 Monkton"
"A9 Perth North"
"A9 Broxden"
"A90 Stracathro"
"A90 Queensferry"
"A92 Crossgates"

I would be really grateful for your help to confirm if these meet the criteria or if you know of any more that do (some of them I cannot get to easily!)

PS I have compiled an updated set of Motorway service areas together with the S symbol (rather than a 'bridge') - is it worth uploading these to the POIs or are people happy with the existing ones?

Thanks
Jay
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Living in Gateshead, I am not sure what exactly the "A1 Gateshead" Services are.

Granada Services, as everyone still calls it even though I believe it's now Moto, at Washington (but still in the Gateshead Unitary Council area), is actually where the the A1 (T) has joined/merged with the A194 (M) to go on to form the A1 (M) south towards Durham - so that's actually a MOTORWAY Services.

(Silly trivia for you too, it's just after the Junction 65 split of the said two roads, which makes it far and away the highest numbered Motorway Junction number anywhere in the country).

At Blaydon in Gateshead, at the opposite, Western side of the borough, just before the A1 crosses the River Tyne and goes into Newcastle, and just west of the Metrocentre Shopping Complex, there is a Petrol Station, and the "Derwent Crossing" Brewers Fayre pub and Premier Travel Inn - if this is instead what you mean.

And as such, to be fair, it would meet your criteria and everything, it's just that us locals have never really referred to it as a Services facility for the A1 (T) before, nor do I know if it is signposted as such.

But in hindsight, it would still satisfy your criteria perhaps, as whilst off on a different road from the A1 (T), actually being on the A69/A694 spur off the A1, it's not a stone's throw off the A1 nevertheless, and certainly closer than some real Motorway Services are to their roads, for sure.

But if these are neither of the sites meant by Gateshead Services, I'd love to be enlightened.

"Falkirk" might know, if he sees this, as he's the PGPSW Database Verifier for this region, and is based in Newcastle.

Hope this is relevant, and if I think of any more, I'll let you know...

In fact... on that note, check out the A194/A184 services at Whitemare Pool in Gateshead.

Heading north on the A1 (M), past Washington Services, refereed to before, the road does the said "Y" split, and to the left, and North West, the road remains the A1, but is a Trunk Road, not a Motorway from that point. To the right, and slightly North Easterly direction however, the road remains a Motorway, but is numbered the A194 (M) for a couple of miles.

It then finishes at "Whitemare Pool" Roundabout, in Gateshead, with the junction with the east-west A184 between Gateshead and Sunderland.

And on the northern side of the roundabout, where the road continues on towards the borough of South Tyneside, there is a "Services" area consisting of 24 hour fuel, a Hotel (Travelodge brand), a Burger King, and a Little Chef.

As it's on the interchange of he end of the Motorway, as well as the A184 primary road, and the continuation of the A194 towards the A19, it probably satisfies your criteria too.
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there. I would agree that the area around the metro centre in gateshead does have most of those features you are looking for. The only things i would be concerned about are, there are no areas specifically for trucks to park up. It has plenty of food/shop outlets, but petrol/diesel services are not in close proximity to the location to say its a 'service area'. If i were travelling late at night, its not quite a service station in terms of everythingyou want being next to each other.

iPhone 12
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

falkirk81 wrote:
Hi there. I would agree that the area around the metro centre in gateshead does have most of those features you are looking for. The only things i would be concerned about are, there are no areas specifically for trucks to park up. It has plenty of food/shop outlets, but petrol/diesel services are not in close proximity to the location to say its a 'service area'. If i were travelling late at night, its not quite a service station in terms of everythingyou want being next to each other.

oops - Hi Falkirk mate.

Whilst I'd never presume to Verify a Verifier, I think my wording may have misconstrued...

The Metrocentre was only mentioned as a geographic locator for the place I actually meant - Blaydon/Derwenthaugh Services...

If you drop off the A1 just west of the Metrocentre, and take the road round and under, towards the Scotswood Bridge, there is a Services based area there - Derwenthaugh.

It consists of a 24 hour petrol station, reasonably priced, a Brewers Fayre Restaurant, and a Premier Travel Inn - the "Derwent Crossing", built on to it.

So it is a full Servies area for LIGHT VEHICLE based users.

No facility at all for trucks though, as you say, though the garage does allow a separate unenclosed Diesel Pump, for LGV access, and a rear service road allows for one-off emergency parking of LGV's etc.

My only issue, if any at all, is that it's not really ON the A1, but in truth, being only 500-600 yards off it, could easily constitute such.

Hope this helps identify the one I mean...

Co-ordinates: 54.96098 by -1.68820 (that a WEST-ing folks there)

Google maps/Earth Sat Imagery will help too...

Cheers all, I think this could be a handy POI file too mate, so keep up the good work Geddit too.
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem shadamehr. Glad i could offer some assistance to the question posed. Very Happy

iPhone 12
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

falkirk81 wrote:
No problem shadamehr. Glad i could offer some assistance to the question posed. Very Happy

No problem, and nice to have you back verifying the area.

Especially as not 600 yards from site discussed above in detail, I still have a submission outstanding requiring further verification.

FLAME-PROOF SUIT MODE alert - rest assured all, this is as light-hearted as it gets, positively, not yet ANOTHER whinge for poor MaFt tired of hearing about it - it's a JOKE to welcome poor Falkirk into the saga too.

So welcome back. Where do I send the brown envelope to stuffed with cash mate?

Wink
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes its good to be back in the area. Got 3 cameras done in the area yesterday on my travels! I assume by the last post you are referring to the mobile location you submitted next to the metro centre, almost under the bridge? You also DON'T have a submission requiring further verification by a PGPSW verifier. It was verified by myself and another member a LONG time ago. It is currently awaiting further individual sightings. It is currently listed in the verifier database as "MOBILE:46531@70, Heading:285, Single Direction Awaiting further submissions".

Also, I accept paypal as well as cash. The address is Tesco, Kingston Park, Newcastle Laughing Out Loud Wink

iPhone 12
geddit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, things are never easy - I should perhaps have posted the grid refs, viz:

-3.0599 55.92619 "A1 Edinburgh"
-1.7922 55.56539 "A1 Adderstone"
-1.70333 55.39342 "A1 Alnwick"
-1.55801 54.89077 "A1(M) Washington S"
-1.55964 54.88906 "A1(M) Washington N"
-1.52378 54.72834 "A1(M) Durham"
-1.66665 54.44339 "A1 Scotch Corner"
-1.5669 54.29937 "A1 Leeming Bar"
-1.26621 53.69721 "A1 Gateshead"
-0.9209 53.25497 "A1 Markham Moor"
-0.32202 52.53165 "A1(M) Peterborough"
-0.20125 52.01389 "A1(M) Baldock"
-0.22369 51.68801 "A1(M) South Mimms"
-0.02885 51.94643 "A10 Buntingford"
0.22328 52.12721 "A11 Sawston"
-0.01018 52.27002 "A14 Cambridge West"
-0.19803 51.08413 "A23 Pease Pottage"
-4.06056 50.70748 "A30 Sourton Cross"
-1.28362 51.79442 "A34 Oxford"
-1.34215 51.34804 "A34 Tot Hill"
-1.34429 51.15801 "A34 Sutton Scotney S"
-1.34628 51.15622 "A34 Sutton Scotney N"
-2.66555 51.85152 "A40 Whitchurch E"
-2.66139 51.8508 "A40 Whitchurch W"
-1.28362 51.79442 "A40 Oxford"
-4.10572 53.203 "A5 Bangor"
-3.51784 53.26784 "A55 Kinmel Park"
-1.18608 53.90643 "A64 Tadcaster"
-3.23158 55.90038 "A720 Dreghorn"
-4.47316 55.59723 "A77 Kilmarnock"
-4.59119 55.52354 "A77 Monkton"
-3.45683 56.41421 "A9 Perth North"
-3.48089 56.38817 "A9 Broxden"
-2.61101 56.77319 "A90 Stracathro"
-3.40374 55.98805 "A90 Queensferry"
-1.36791 52.8671 "A92 Crossgates"

I'll check out the places mentioned - I suppose I don't really mind what one calls the 'services': I do a lot of night driving and sometimes just need somewhere to stop. Thanks
Jay
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geddit, do me a favour and stick the co-ordinates for "A1 Gateshead" into google maps, and see where it gives you. I`ll give you a heads up first, Newcastle/Gateshead is located at approximately 55 degrees north!

Oh and also, you need to put the North/south component before the east/west component. Laughing

iPhone 12
geddit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry shadamehr, it looks like I made a mistake - it looks like what I called Gateshead is the Ferrybridge Services at the A1M M62 junction!
Jay
geddit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what I did wrong - I followed up the A194M instead of the A1. So what I called Gateshead was as you say the "Whitemare Pool" roundabout sevices - but I did not save the coordinates correctly.
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its ok, i got a surprise when i saw a large motorway junction in "gateshead" thats all. I know ive been away for 5 months, but didnt think they had time to build that Laughing Out Loud! No probs m8. Glad you got it sorted!

iPhone 12
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geddit wrote:
Sorry shadamehr, it looks like I made a mistake - it looks like what I called Gateshead is the Ferrybridge Services at the A1M M62 junction!
Jay

Laughing Out Loud - right, one at a time, first this one Geddit...

If so, erm, yes, that's a bit far off, but hopefully if so then, my two suggestions give you thought for an additional two inclusions.

falkirk81 wrote:
Yes its good to be back in the area. Got 3 cameras done in the area yesterday on my travels! I assume by the last post you are referring to the mobile location you submitted next to the metro centre, almost under the bridge? You also DON'T have a submission requiring further verification by a PGPSW verifier. It was verified by myself and another member a LONG time ago. It is currently awaiting further individual sightings. It is currently listed in the verifier database as "MOBILE:46531@70, Heading:285, Single Direction Awaiting further submissions".

Also, I accept paypal as well as cash. The address is Tesco, Kingston Park, Newcastle Laughing Out Loud Wink

Ah Falkirk - class mate, that's an excellent response - giving me a far better insight into how these particular difficult verifications of Mobile sites take place, though unless it's a secret (which would be understandable), I'd love to know how many further sightings, verified sites need before inclusion - clearly the more, the more exact the database though, it must be said.

In terms of this one, if it's not hijacking this thread too much, clearly, as you can see yourself, there is the purpose built hard-stand, and bollarded safety measures for it. That I would guess, would help a verifier GUESS at a likely POSSIBILITY of a Mobile Site, more than a standard open country road one would, so I see now how they kind of work.

What it needs then, is more confirmations of the actual CAMERA VAN having been there, as opposed to the shared use by police cars, and DVLA Tax Enforcement cars, that are also meant to share these specially built hard-stands, but thus far I've not seen one use them, but park in the parking areas further north in your neck of the woods instead (doh to them for that).

All I can hope is that this doesn't take for ever, as (if it helps confirm THIS one), the site's sister location, at Entry 37451, which is the entrance point to the A1 Joint Scheme, is a verified and accepted entry, and is the exact same thing as this one - indeed, it's from my OWN view of course, but I have seen the van at my submission twice, but not since seen the van at 37451 since that one was first built/completed. Most likely though, this is because when the Speed Camera Van leaves my submission entry, 46531, it then spends an hour or two catching people at 23892, the 30mph ring-road of the Metrocentre proper, just 350 yards over from it.

And all this is having poor "geddit"s post go too far OT, but can I just repeat, an excellent insight, as to how Mobile sites are verified and added, to go with the other threads already on the site by others such as the "day in the life of..." thread/post

Thanks Falkirk - I'll meet you discreetly in the Trolley Bay furthest north next to the metro line, with the Envelope Wink

Good luck, "Geddit", and give consideration to my own POI suggestions to add to your quest. The co-ordinates for one, I have already given above, For the other I mention, Whitemare Pool, you are looking at: 54.94758 by -1.51478 (West)

Oh and please all, I KNOW, I've made this thread wander a bit, AND it's about that same thing I have done to death. BUT, there's a different context to it here.

And if it offsets things, I've just spent the last two hours or more, working through the POI Submissions Database, to find the missing 13 Tyne and Wear Metro Stations, as only 47 were listed, and there are 60, so I have added all those, so I DO aim to give something back where I can - indeed, my attention to detail, and time consuming task, was such that I realised I had found 14 omissions, bringing the total to 61 metro stations, when only 60 exist, so then had to wade through maps etc all over again, to find that one station was duplicated already in the database.

So I don't just take take take folks, I try to give back too.

So please forgive me rambling Geddit, and hope your pursuits go well.
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and Geddit,

Not sure your intent here, as to WHICH ones you actually want,

But a number of locations in your list are full dedicated MOTORWAY Service Stations, not A Road ones.

For example:

-1.55801 54.89077 "A1(M) Washington S"
-1.55964 54.88906 "A1(M) Washington N"
-1.52378 54.72834 "A1(M) Durham"
1.5669 54.29937 "A1 Leeming Bar" (I'd hazard a guess, as that parts now Motorway'ed)
-0.32202 52.53165 "A1(M) Peterborough" ...
-0.20125 52.01389 "A1(M) Baldock" ... If the (M) means anything)
-0.22369 51.68801 "A1(M) South Mimms" ...

Additionally my own, Whitemare Pool, comes at the END/START of a motorway, but is on the A road, so probably a fair inclusion, as is Broxden Roundabout, at Perth - -3.48089 56.38817 "A9 Broxden"

Hope this helps, getting your handy thread back on track.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
All I can hope is that this doesn't take for ever

...but in the grand scheme of things, does it really matter how long it takes anybody's submission to complete its way through the system??

Whilst a mobile is waiting to be included in the database as a fully-fledged camera, it may be downloaded and included as a pMobile, thus continuing to warn members in the meantime.

The accuracy of the database ought to be paramount, NOT the speed at which cameras are included.

Whilst mobile submissions typically take longer, some fixed cameras in remote areas may also take longer than average to complete the cycle from submission to inclusion.

I always refer to camera submissions as being like the National Lottery - you buy your ticket(s) and HOPE to win, but if you're NOT lucky enough to win do you go banging on Camelot's door?

Whilst we all hope to qualify for free lifetime subscriptions, it seems that these are chased on a regular basis by members automatically assume that their submission has met the criteria or who are too impatient for their mobile submission to filter through the system.

Members also forget that verifiers go out and verify in their own time and at their own expense, so with the escalating fuel prices and so on, frustrations may rise and members may receive short sharp answers if/when camera submissions are chased.

Before anybody thinks that I'm taking the high ground on this, I've been there myself, done and got the T-shirt. I have submitted a new GATSO camera where the cement around its base was still wet (my dog left a paw print as proof of this), but I was beaten to reporting it by another member (or members).

The system of allocating free lifetime subscriptions is FAIR and equally applied to EVERYBODY - the only difference is that some mobile submissions may just take a little longer to filter through, but patience is a virtue.

This is not a specific comment aimed at any particular member, but is rather a general comment hoped to serve as a reminder to everybody because the question of "Where's my free subscription?" has a habit of cropping up from time to time.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: