Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 720 GO
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 720 GO

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DC_FC79
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: TomTom 720 GO Reply with quote

Is the 720 GO easy to update maps, im possibly getting one soon
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installing the Map is not too bad, but getting them downloaded seems to be a bit of a problem as the TT servers seem to be down at all the critical times. Or their Bandwidth is swallowed up in the demand. Shocked

Perhaps they can't 'afford' to upgrade their system to cope with the demand that they themselves placed on it, by doing everything by downloads. Rolling Eyes

Should their motto be, "patience is a virtue".

The bottom line is that there are a lot of users who don't have serious problems; whose voice is rarely heard. Smile

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Thermocline
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Oldboy

Forums such as this tend to focus on negative aspects rather than the successes. This isn't a criticism, it's just that people are much more likely to write to ask for help than to say that everything is OK.

I just purchased a 720 a few weeks ago. There have been some minor niggles and as mentioned above the Tom Tom "Latest Map Guarantee" server was down just at the critical time when the new maps were released. Contrary to some reports though, I found TomTom customer services to be most helpful. There was no question of them not honouring the Latest Map Guarantee and indeed I was told that even if I didn't download within the 30 days, since I'd registered a call with them they would still sort it out. The TomTom agent was most helpful and gave me useful information about the Traffic systems available.

The niggles are relatively minor and the map server was put back online and eventually I downloaded the newest maps. I did find that after downloading the new map, my favourites had disappeared, but I had backed up my 720 so was able to reinstate them after advice from this forum.

As with most things, there is a learning curve but overall I have to say that I am quite pleased with my 720. I used most of it's functions, phone, text, music and so on. It all seems to work well and I've not experienced some of the problems noted by others on this forum.

I got the Traffic version of the 720 and up here in Scotland I seem to get good reception on the RDS TMC signal. I have noticed that the traffic information isn't that accurate (roadworks at a local roundabout for example are shown at a different roundabout 5 miles up the road) but this isn't a problem with the 720, just the information it is being given.

Overall I think the 720 is a nice piece of kit. The routes it gives me seem to be sensible. The only thing I haven't really tested yet is the quality of traffic information over a long drive. Up to now I've only been on trips of less than 50 miles. I'm looking forward to a decent long-run test in the near future.

Cheers

Thermocline
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Thermocline and Oldboy
I agree with both of you.
The 720 works just great. Prior to the Go 720 I had Tomtom Navigator 5 on a Dell Axim PDA and that worked great too. No niggles at all with either. Both have taken me all over most of Europe without any troubles at all. Only a few years ago only James Bond possessed such a gadget.

And remember, GPO navigating for ordinary people is still in its infancy. What will it be like in ten years time?
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can also recommend the tomtom720 and just a word of warning before you do any thing back up your device in windows .
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll also post positive about the GO 720. I had a few minor teething troubles, particularly with not being able to install the new map using LMG, then it not being seen by the device, but these cleared themselves up when HOME was updated.

Otherwise it has been a super device, and I had no trouble with tt Navigator 5 and 6 before, even thpough I was using a PDA which should not have been able to support 6.3.
geesss
Banned

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally like Garmin, but my roommate like TomTom very much, these days he just got his new TomTom GO 720 at a deal price of $313, at that price, it's a great deal

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: