Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Questions regarding map upgrades
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions regarding map upgrades

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dalegrief
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Questions regarding map upgrades Reply with quote

Can someone answer a few questions I have regarding upgrading the map on my 720

I have recently purchase the 720. I am pleased with the purchase but a little disappointed that a few road changes made a couple of years ago are not show on the 715 map version. I see that there is a new map version out now. How often does Tomtom release new maps?

Seeing that I am not likely to need the full European map I am thinking of only purchasing the Great Britain map. The memory on the 720 is nearly full, how do I go about adding the updated GB map? I don't want to loose the European map, just in case I do get to need it, so I will also need to know how to ensure the relevant files are backed up.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, TomTom have normally released new maps two or three times a year. During the last 6-8 months, they have released more than that - some releases may have been bug fixes (although not free). Two years is not "recent" where these maps are concerned - it can easily be that long and more before a new road gets into a map. It's quite a long time line from survey to map and that's AFTER a new road has been "discovered" by the map company.

Backup is an important, no a VITAL matter - you should be doing it regardless of the state of your device. Do one now by using Windows Explorer - simply copy everything from your 720 to your computer. I have a directory (or folder) called Device Backups, with directories (folders) within it called 2008-01-16, 2008-01-31, 2008-02-12, 2008-02-20 and so on, loads of backups taken regularly, you get the picture? Regular backups are the secret of confidence, do them often, and ALWAYS before you do anything to change your device. The TomTom Home backup procedure has been known to fail, so many of us don't trust it for backups.

To cope with a new, different map, if it won't fit alongside the existing map, you'd be able to delete the existing map off your device and still have it available on your PC backup for future re-loading back again. Another method would be to get an SD card (4GB would be quite big enough), and install the new map onto that.

Try a read of our TomTom FAQs, HERE

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
dalegrief
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the info. With map updates being offered so often I think that I will wait a while before spending more money.

From what I can understand from reading this and Tomtom's site, maps are first downloaded onto the PC and not onto the device. Maps can then be transferred to and from the device as necessary. Is this correct?

Does this mean that not only do I have to ensure the device is backed up but also the TomTom folder on my PC?

If I have a large enough memory card fitted can I have both European and Great Britain maps installed on it with an option to switch between them or will I have to remove one before installing the other?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should have a full back up on the PC and then copy your back up to a DVD just incase the PC's hard drive fails, or some low life stole the computer.

With the x20 and x30 devices you can add an SD card and use that in addition to the inbuilt memory, I have an 8GB card in mine which I only use for music and pictures I keep the maps stored on the device.

If you keep at 4GB or smaller for the memory card then you can store maps on the memory card. The x20 and x30 devices can also use the SDHC style cards - Mike
kichu1979
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions regarding map upgrades Reply with quote

dalegrief wrote:
I have recently purchase the 720. I am pleased with the purchase but a little disappointed that a few road changes made a couple of years ago are not show on the 715 map version. I see that there is a new map version out now. How often does Tomtom release new maps?

Hmm... what do you mean by recently ?

Are you aware that you are able to upgrade your map for free withing
30 days from your purchase date, so perhaps instead of thinking of
buying UK map, perhaps you are still within your 30 days, so you could
upgrade your 7.15 map to 7.20 for free ?

also

Quote:

In my experience, TomTom have normally released new maps two or three times a year. During the last 6-8 months, they have released more than that - some releases may have been bug fixes (although not free).

What we see now is TomTom sticking to their - new map every 3 months - schedule. If you look at the release dates of four previous maps they are 1 nov 2007, Feb 5 2008 and May 6 2008.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: