Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Major problem after installing TomTom Home
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Major problem after installing TomTom Home

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Astronut
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Major problem after installing TomTom Home Reply with quote

Just bought a TomTom Go One XL today and after installing TomTom Home on my WinXP Home laptop, the machine switched off almost immediately after launching TomTom Home for the first time.

I rebooted and briefly saw a popup error window about 'lsass.exe' failing to start up properly ('the requested operation was unsuccessful') before it switched off again.
If I boot up in safe mode I get a blue screen saying the video driver failed to initialize with a stop error 0x000000B4 (0x8641BC38,0x863B1000,0x863B8000,0x00050000).

Basically, I'm now stuffed and to put it mildly extremely hacked off as it means I have to restore from an image that's over a year old now. Luckily, I haven't installed much since I created that image but I now have to spend the rest of tonight restoring and re-installing.
Thanks TomTom Evil or Very Mad

Is there a problem with the version of TomTom Home supplied on the CD?
Should I download a later version from TomTom's site and use that instead?

I need info on this asap as I'm starting work tomorrow and I won't be back until next weekend.
Astronut
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I retract my sarcastic 'thanks' to TomTom Embarassed

I've restored a 2 year old(!) base image to my harddrive and after much frustration, it seems I had a hardware problem. I think it was overheating (it's the only explanation I can think of). To cut a long story short I thought my laptop was broken beyond repair because I couldn't get the re-imaged harddrive to reboot. I was getting lsass.exe errors and blue screens (STOP 0x000000B4).
The icing on the cake is the laptop makers Rock have gone into receivership 2 days ago (I was about to submit a support ticket) and I'm just into my 3rd year of warranty.

It now seems to be working after leaving it to cool down a bit but I now have to re-install all my apps from scratch. It'll have to wait until next weekend though Sad

I'll be without a laptop this week but I'd like some reassurance that there are no problems with TomTom Home before I attempt to install it on my desktop when I get home next weekend.

Last edited by Astronut on Sat May 10, 2008 11:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
hudster
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have installed tomtom home both from the CD on one computer and from the website on my laptop both with no problems at all.
Astronut
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hudster wrote:
I have installed tomtom home both from the CD on one computer and from the website on my laptop both with no problems at all.

Thanks for that Smile That's certainly reassuring.
I guess it was just a coincidence then that my hardware failed when I started TomTom Home for the first time.
I'm just hoping now that the laptop is OK. It's still on at the moment and showing no signs of overheating again but no apps are running on it.

It's been a thoroughly frustrating and wasted night tonight and I still haven't had a play with my new satnav Sad
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Astronut wrote:
It's been a thoroughly frustrating and wasted night tonight and I still haven't had a play with my new satnav Sad

But you have done a Windows backup of the satnav to your laptop, haven't you? And burnt that to CD in case your laptop fails again?
Samsung Galaxy S21
Astronut
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:

But you have done a Windows backup of the satnav to your laptop, haven't you? And burnt that to CD in case your laptop fails again?

Not yet but it's near the top of the list of things to do once I get my laptop apps re-installed. My desktop's still fully functional so I can use that for backups and burning. I'm not using the laptop for burning anything until I'm fully sure it's ok.

Top of the list right now is to get something to eat ;)
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Astronut wrote:
Anita wrote:

Not yet but it's near the top of the list of things to do once I get my laptop apps re-installed. My desktop's still fully functional so I can use that for backups and burning. I'm not using the laptop for burning anything until I'm fully sure it's ok.

Ah, I didn't notice you had a desktop too, but if you haven't done that backup yet make sure you do it before you play with the satnav!

Quote:
Top of the list right now is to get something to eat ;)

Yes, it's easy to get carried away when trying to fix things and forget all about eating!
Samsung Galaxy S21
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Astronut wrote:
It now seems to be working after leaving it to cool down a bit but I now have to re-install all my apps from scratch. It'll have to wait until next weekend though.

Laptops are renowned for picking up dust etc. Just run a vacuum cleaner with the narrow slot tool over the air inlet and exhaust grills followed by a blow through with a can of compressed air every 2 or 3 months.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
wiz
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

laptops get hot when used on your lap,,,

look at the bottom you may see vents/intakes when you have the laptop resting on your lap some or all of the vents may get blocked, this will reduce airflow and the laptop will overheat slow down to reduce temp and sometimes fail..

good Idea is to use a tray or as I do a piece of shaped MDF to sit your laptop on, keeping a good airflow around and underneath ...............

also keeps your legs cool ... by protecting them from the heat.

Wink
Astronut
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xda and wiz:
you're preaching to the choir guys Wink

Funny thing is I gave it a good clean a couple of days ago - I suppose taking it a apart when I was having problems yesterday could have dislodged a dust bunny and cleared it.

My temperature monitor (mobmeter) didn't show any alarming rise in temperature though Confused
wiz
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wasn't trying to teach you how to suck eggs just offer some ideas,,

just looked at your stop error 0x000000B4 the stop error relates to video driver problem..

have you updated the video drivers Question can also be caused by stopping a server process..

hope alls fixed Astronut
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wiz wrote:
laptops get hot when used on your lap,

There are lots of add on "lap-trays" with extra fans, but I'm quite interested by something I saw from a company called CPC, that's a "clever" rubber mat....

Quote:
The laptop cooling mat uses a macromolecular compound for the absorption of excess heat. Heat is drawn away from the underside of the laptop and absorbed by the mat.
• More than 5 hours of continual usage (depending on ambient environment and amount of heat produced from laptop)
• Protection without disrupting any of the natural flow of air throughout the laptop cooling vents
• Dimensions (HxWxD): 10x347x300mm

It's on page 67 of this .pdf
http://cpc.farnell.com/images/en_CC/Comp1_0205May.pdf

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: