Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - I'm Thinking of Buying TT 930T
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

I'm Thinking of Buying TT 930T
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GNR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: I'm Thinking of Buying TT 930T Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I have been a happy user of my Navman ICN 630 for about 5 years now.

I see that the main supplier of GPS in the UK now is TomTom who have become the number 1 over the last 5 years.

It is now time for me to upgrade, my decisions for this are;

TT offer Traffic re-routes which is my number one reason for upgrading, I understand this is done in 2 ways, either TMC which I have heard is rubbish or GPRS which apparently works ok. do I have to pay my phone provider for the GPRS connection? (Sorry but a bit thick with mobile phone technology)

I also like the online community side of things with TomTom, i.e. map sharing etc.. and updates.

Am I also right in thinking that speed cam downloads show icons with say 30 for 30mph limit etc.. with TomTom, something I cant get to display on my Navman.

I am looking for a good reason to upgrade from my Navman to TomTom, Traffice reroutes being my number 1 reason, but if its no good I won't bother.

So far from reading all of the posts, for the last hour on this site,most being negative I can't understand why TT is so popular.

Cheers

Steve
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

because it's probably the best out there but run by complete morons who couldn't organise a up in a brewery ..if I'm wrong I'll delete this post
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, to use Traffic by GPRS you do need to subscribe to the service via TomTom AND pay your mobile phone service provider for using GPRS. The GPRS service is charged by the MB or part MB, charges can be quite high so check with your phone service BEFORE you run up a large charge.

I wouldn't trust the Traffic information to re-route me though, the information is simply not good enough. A couple of examples from earlier today:
M6 Southbound near Garstang, major crash, medical helicopter needed so the motorway was nigh on closed - nothing at all on RDS-TMC.
M55 Blackpool end, major hold ups (again) due to roadworks (6 week duration) - nothing on RDS-TMC.

With the TomTom combined with the Speed Camera database from this site you can have quite a number of warning options. Spoken alerts where the device will actually tell you the type of camera and rated speed are easy to set-up.
As for negative posts, most people will be happy with their device, a typically British trait is to only shout when it doesn't work, hence the mainly negative posts. - Very few people will shout from the roof tops that they are happy with how their TomTom works! - Mike
GNR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply Mike, I have heard that the HD add on will be available soon for approx £60 which should address any TMC issues from what I am lead to believe. this will be available for all T models as I understand. and will plug in to the cig lighter and the TT via usb connector.

Thanks for your input so far regarding traffic today on M6, with that information TMC is a complete waste of time in its present state! but maybe still worth me updating to TT 930T given there will be a retro fit upgrade coming soon.

Cheers

Steve
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct that the newer devices will offer the update path once the Hardware and infra-stucture required for HD Trafic is put in place within the UK.
At the moment all we have is the RDS-TMC or GPRS traffic, both these services suffer from poor data, whether HD Traffic will assist/ reduce this problem who knows, only time will tell - Mike
JaguarV12e
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am likewise replacing my Navman ICN630. The deciding factor for changing now is a touring holiday in France in July, and I know that the Navman maps of France are rubbish.

I really like the concept of IQ routes, lets hope that the implementation is as good as the idea.

I have just ordered a 730T from Halfords online, at £279. I wonder if they really have stock...
Gmonkey
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the TT GO 930 has the IQ routes and the lane assistance, which are really cool features that not many other units have. i'm really excited to use the 930.. i'm sure it (especially the IQ routes) will save me lots of time in my area.

iq routes - http://www.tomtom.com/page/iq-routes
GNR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the replies guys, well I went out today and bought my 930T and have to say I love it so far, I didn't think you could top the Navman 630 but its streets ahead. been busy pairing phones to it and downloading updates, but so far so good.

Guy at Halfords said HD out next month in UK.

And halfords have ring and reserve, gave them a call and they had one, only few quid dearer than ebay listed TT's but added bonus of if its faulty dont need to pay postage top send to my local Halfords.

Just check that its not display model they try to palm off on you, Thanks to Vicky's superb review I was able to see it is shrink wrapped, so knew what to look for.

Cheers again you guys for the quick helpfulo replies.

Steve
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the usual thing we bang on about here.

You MUST do a full backup with Windows Explorer (preferably BEFORE you do any updates at all, and then again afterwards.... but anytime is better than none!).

Instructions in the FAQs "sticky" topic at the top.
GNR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Andy, I did back up first after reading some useful tips from the forum before hand.
Strange had a few error messages when using Tom Tom Home to do this but when I did reboot all was fine.

Software didn't say reboot but I did and it worked.

Just looking forward to HD now as I agree with you all TMC is PANTS Crying or Very sad

Love the TomTom to bits tho......so far Laughing
ItsMikeE
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GNR wrote:
I have heard that the HD add on will be available soon for approx £60 ....
... this will be available for all T models as I understand. and will plug in to the cig lighter and the TT via usb connector.

Is that correct? That only the Traffic models will have the right connectors for HD Traffic?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no difference between a 520 or 520T and 720 or 720T, the actual devices are identical, but with the T version the receiver is included in the box, it will be interesting to see if they market a HD receiver with the devices once the UK has the necessary HD coverage.
As far as I am aware the same applies to the TomTom One XL range - Mike
ItsMikeE
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
it will be interesting to see if they market a HD receiver with the devices once the UK has the necessary HD coverage.

Already appearing on Handtec site (preorders only) http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php/1046/tomtom-go-730t---hd-traffic
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that advert is somewhat misleading though:

"Plug & play traffic through new TomTom High Definition Traffic Receiver***, "

I would like to see an explanation as to what the *** means, probably a note along the lines of HD Traffic receiver will only be supplied in countries where the system is active.

If you are thinking of purchasing one of these please get confirmation from the supplier in writing clearly defining what you will be supplied with - I bet it will ship to the UK with the standard FM RDS-TMC - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GNR wrote:
Cheers Andy, I did back up first after reading some useful tips from the forum before hand.
Strange had a few error messages when using Tom Tom Home to do this but when I did reboot all was fine.

We do say you should use Windows Explorer, NOT Home to do your backups.

For a start, EVEN if Home produces a useable backup (which is debatable) I think the latest version only allows you to make ONE, and overwrites the previous one when it does anew one. Useless.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: