Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mapping camera locations in my area....
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mapping camera locations in my area....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tc80
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject: Mapping camera locations in my area.... Reply with quote

This may have been posted already, but is there an easy way to map out the changes to the locations of the fixed cameras in my local area on Google maps or Google Earth?

Where I drive regularly there are so many fixed signs and alerts for non-existent cameras that you have a tendency to ignore the warnings from the GPS.

I do ninety five percent of my driving in an area about 10 x 10 miles. After I update my database on my TOMTOM, it would be great to be able to see an overview map that shows the changes in the database for my area, so I can be extra careful on that particular road for example.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you? I find it hard to believe there are so many errors and alerts fro non-existent cameras?

Can you give me an example?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Mapping camera locations in my area.... Reply with quote

perhaps by 'non-existent camera' you mean a mobile site? these are locations where mobile cameras are known to be used but by there very nature will unlikely have an operator in there at that time (although they COULD be there...)

MaFt
tc80
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in the Watford area. I can think of four "signed areas but missing cameras" off of the top of my head but can't give you exact location at the moment.

I will use my Go720's reporting button over the next couple of weeks to note the locations of missing cameras and send them to you. Most times I am alone in the vehicle and traffic is fast enough that it is not safe to be hitting buttons on the GPS.

I suspect people are more concerned with reporting new cameras versus missing cameras since a camera not there isn't a threat.
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many areas have a tendency to put signs up to alert drivers but never (or very occasionally) actually position a camera there. As far as the database is concerned, signs are not important - only camera sightings.

Which database have you downloaded? Both the 'consolidated' and 'speed zoned' will show camera types so please do not submit removals for mobile cameras - there is a separate system for removing inactive sites. If a fixed camera (gatso etc) is no longer there, please do submit a removal as it helps the accuracy of the database for the rest of us.
Brodit ProClip mount
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tc80 wrote:
I am in the Watford area. I can think of four "signed areas but missing cameras" off of the top of my head but can't give you exact location at the moment.

So you're saying you see the signs but don't get a warning? Have you considered that may be because no cameras have ever been reported there?
tc80
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always use the "Speed Zoned Complete" database. I have never seen a mobile camera in this part of greater london. Probably because the roads are just too tight. I have figured out that there was a camera at some point at some locations because the measuring lines are still on the road versus the warning signs only. I will try to record only actual missing cameras.

Last edited by tc80 on Fri May 15, 2009 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total
tc80
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
tc80 wrote:

So you're saying you see the signs but don't get a warning? Have you considered that may be because no cameras have ever been reported there?

No, in these cases, I get the warning and see the signs, but can't find the camera anywhere.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because it is a Mobile Camera! The database warns of potential locations for mobiles, i.e. those where cameras have been reported as active in the past.

We have no way of switching these on/off only when cam vans are actually there so you get a warning and drive through that location with due caution.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Because it is a Mobile Camera! The database warns of potential locations for mobiles, i.e. those where cameras have been reported as active in the past.

Sorry to poke in here, but this comment is not fully in agreement with
tc80 wrote:
I have figured out that there was a camera at some point at some locations because the measuring lines are still on the road versus the warning signs only..

It seems possible that tc80 has 'seen' one or more removed Gatsos, which of course he should report
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly or a fixed site has been replaced by a mobile. Without the locations we cannot be sure.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. Very Happy But your post said in bold 'Because this is a Mobile camera' , when lines on the road indicate a fixed cam (possibly removed), and as you rightly say, without knowing the location, it is impossible to say. Very Happy
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, happy to concede I may have jumped to a conclusion there but I still think the chances of it being a removed fixed camera and our not knowing about it are slim indeed.

Much more likely to be a mobile site. tc80 can you give us an example location?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: