Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed Camera POI updates
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed Camera POI updates

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GNR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Speed Camera POI updates Reply with quote

Hi,

I am new to the TomTom and have the 930T, I loaded recently the speed cam database with logo's for the various speeds, and on my TomTom I spent a while typing in the warnings i.e "Warning70mph speed camera approaching" and all of the other warnings, so that the TomTom bird could warn me with words.

Question is will I need to go through the wholw process everytime I load a new database to my TomTom or is there a file I can drag over which will retain this info.

I notice that after last night when I downloaded and installed the map guarantee lates Europe map, that all my warnings for speed camera's have ceased.

Any help of course much appreciated.

Steve
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deteted.. Double post.

Last edited by Andy_P on Wed May 21, 2008 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK... two issues...

Firstly, when you update the camera database, you don't even need to copy a settings file across. All you need to do is overwrite the old camera files with the freshly downloaded ones. Everything else (settings, icons, voices etc.) can all be left untouched.

But if you download a new MAP, it always installs into its own new map folder, and all your POIs, Favourites, settings etc are usually left in the old folder (if you haven't already deleted it to make room!).
So long as you have a full backup you can copy all the POI files, your favourites and your warning settings across from the old to the new.
Let us know if you need to know what files to copy.
(For example all your warnings you typed in are stored in the MapSettings.cfg file. It is well worth taking a separate backup of just that file as it has been known for these settings to reset themselves for no apparent reason).
GNR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for the quick answer Andy, I wouldn't mind knowing which files are needed for the poi warnings please.

Best regards

Steve
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick copy and paste from when I wrote all this up once before! Laughing

1. Your Favourites and Home Location:-
The file that holds your favourites and your 'Home' location (as well as some other things like recent destinations AND any POI warnings you have set up), is called 'MapSettings.cfg' on v6 software and newer. (note the exact spelling and use of capital letters ). It is found in that particular maps folder, so if you have several maps, you will have a separate (and different) one for each.

First, check you've got your file extensions displayed in Windows - important when dealing with the TomTom as so many of the files have the same name just a different extension, and if they are not displayed you'll end up accidentally giving files TWO extensions ('.cfg.cfg'). Again, note the capitals as well, they are important in Linux.

If you have that file in your old Map's folder, just copy it across to the new folder and you should be away.

Special note for v5 software owners:
There won't be many of you left, but, on very old software the file was was called '{yourmapfoldername}.cfg', so if you are updating the software at the same time you will need to find that one (it will be called something like 'Great_Britain-Map.cfg' (note the particular underscores and hyphens too!) and re-name it to 'MapSettings.cfg' when you copy it across to the new map's folder.

Second method, if the above fails for any reason:
If all else fails, you can convert all your favourites on to be entries in a new custom POI category (call it 'My Favourites' or whatever).
There are TWO ways you can do this...
1. Make a 'New POI category' and then 'Add POI' / from "Favourite" using the menus on the TomTom, then copy the 'MyFavourites.ov2' file across instead (and convert them all back again if you want), or
2. Use POI Edit ( from www.poiedit.com/) to open the MapSettings.cfg file, delete any duplicate entries, and save it all as an .ov2 file.

UPDATE - Many people have also used this MapSettings.cfg method to move their favourites etc onto a new MACHINE. This has always worked fine in the past, but it now appears that doing it from a machine which was running v6 software to a DIFFERENT one running v7 might not work and either cause problems with Text to Speech and voice recognition (if you've got it) or even cause the machine to lock up.
In this case you need to use one of the the manual techniques mentioned in the previous paragraph.
If you have already copied the MapSettings.cfg across and are having problems, you will need to revert to the version of MapSettings.cfg from your new download.

2. Your POIs:-
Your custom POI categories (non-TomTom Speed Cameras, caravan sites etc.) are stored as individual sets of files, again in the map folder.
Find ALL the files called
{poicategory1}.ov2 (this is the data file)
{poicategory1}.bmp (this is the on-screen icon file)
{poicategory1}.ogg (this one is the optional sound file used for speed cameras etc.)
{poicategory2}.ov2
{poicategory2}.bmp
etc. etc.

and simply copy all of them to the new map's folder.

3. TomTom's own POIs:-
These are stored in a file called 'poi.dat'. You could copy that across from the old map folder to the new, but you will obviously lose any updates that TomTom have made to them for the newer version, so there's probably no point and it's better to stick with the new one.

Personally, I'd say don't even think of using 'Home' to do any of this Stop it! .
Good old 'copy and paste' using Windows is much easier to see what you are doing.
GNR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy, will have a try at doing this.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: