Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Spec speed cameras on the M1 junction 26?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Spec speed cameras on the M1 junction 26?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soroczyn2008
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Spec speed cameras on the M1 junction 26? Reply with quote

hi i think i went through one of them spec speed cameras i know i was doing between 45 - 55mph, its a temporary 50 mph limit, would i have been caught as i left the motorway with out going through a second one, at least i think i did, Also, are these cameras even working because i can't find anything on the internet about them, whats the tolerance triger speed on these cameras as well, i have heard its 10% plus 2mph is this true for all camera types.

cheers.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum.

The specs cameras are "Average Speed" Cameras. The first one you come across reads your number plate and records the time it did so. The next one you come across reads it and then records the time again. Quicker than a speeding bullet, it then calculates how long you've taken to get from first to next camera and calculates your average speed. When there are more than two Specs Cameras, the time measurement between any of them will do. In this case, if that is over 50mph, watch out for the postman!!

The Specs cameras in that area start south of junction 26 and there are loads of specs cameras covering those roadworks up to beyond junction 27. How do I know? We've got them in our database (plus my satnav warned me of every one of them when I went to Sheffield and back last week). You could get them on your satnav too.

Have a look at this

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Spec speed cameras on the M1 junction 26? Reply with quote

soroczyn2008 wrote:
i was doing between 45 - 55mph, its a temporary 50 mph limit, would i have been caught as i left the motorway with out going through a second one

First, welcome!

There are a couple of points here.

1. The SPECS cameras are always in pairs and they would have been foolish to arrange them in such a way that a car could exit the SPECS zone without being photographed a second time and their speed measured. I'm pretty sure your speed was checked.

2. The oft quoted 10% + 2 MPH is a guideline only, it's not a law. Some cameras might be set higher, others might be lower.

3. If your speedo was reading 45-55 MPH then you are almost certainly NOT going to be booked for speeding - two reasons : speedos read a few MPH high and SPECS calculate the average speed not the maximum through the timed zone.

Rest easy for now - you've probably not got a ticket, but consider subscribing and getting a copy of the database on your SatNav unit.

The way I look at it is that we have to be lucky all the time, cameras only have to be lucky once and many of the new ones are digital too (ie, no film) so you don't get a second chance...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: