Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Replacing Navman ICN 510
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Replacing Navman ICN 510

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aldridge_Andy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Replacing Navman ICN 510 Reply with quote

I currently have a "as good as new condition" Navman ICN 510, running Smart ST2005 and maps from around 2004 from what I can tell. This is how it came from Navman when new.

My only change was to fit a 1Gb SD Card so I could install extra mapping and Speed Cameras with ease, as it was the European advanced version with remote control (which has never been used).

I was toying with the idea of just updating the maps to the latest version which was on offer for £39, and is now Out Of Stock. So that idea has to be dismissed.

From what I can tell TomTom tend to support their products for far longer, and seem to offer map updates for even their earliest models.

I don't want to pay "over the odds" as my use is only occasional, so would I be better going for a budget offering, or a Navman S70, S90, or a TomTom 720 (which seems fantastic).

Any advise would be greatly appreciated as I really am finding it difficult to justify between £170 and £190 for the Navman S90 or TomTom720.

If I do go for the Navman S90 or TomTom720 does anyone know of any current offers? Kelkoo and Google Shoping seem a bit amiss when it comes to Sat Nav. Dixons have the S90 for £161 yet neither comparison site features it.

Sorry about the long post, and thanks in advance,

Andy.

TomTom Go 720.
Brickie64
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,
Like you I had the same decision a month ago.
My iCN510 with all Euro maps has stayed in the cupboard since I parted with the cash to buy a GO720.
The 720 is a dream to use compared to the Navman 510. I had serious problems getting a fix with my Navman 510 (sometimes finished my journey before it got a fix if I decided to drive off before it locked on !!)
The GO720 gets and almost instant fix (especially if you download the "quick fix" from TT Home) and even gets a fix if you have to turn the device on whilst you are on the move.
The Sat receiver is way more sensitive, I can even get a fix sitting in my ground floor rooms. The Navman had to be outside for a fix.

The only down side I guess is that the routing selection options are a little less specific on the GO720.

If you are looking to compare prices, then you should check out the following web site:-

http://www.bargain-satnav.co.uk/tomtom_go/tomtom_go_europe_series.htm

It has a list of all high street and web shop prices.

My advice is, if you have the cash, go for the "GO720".
Just beware that the GO730 is waiting in the wings.

Cheers & good luck

Gav

Garmin Nuvi 3598 + GO 720 (+USA Map Card) + NavFree for iPhone in case all else fails ;-)
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
sometimes finished my journey before it got a fix if I decided to drive off before it locked on

Doing that always makes it harder for Sat nav to get a lock - whatever make / model....
Aldridge_Andy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gav, Thanks for the info and the link.

Was there any particular reason that made you go from Navman to TomTom?

My sole reason is the support that TomTom still seem to give to their older products, and at a reasonable price. Navman appear to launch a new model and simply abandon the users of the products which are no longer current.

Cheers,

Andy.

TomTom Go 720.
Brickie64
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,
There were a number of reasons really. I think the navigation instructions are a lot clearer on the TomTom which means I can trust the spoken nav rather than having to keep checking the map and taking my eyes off the road. Not sure about the most recent Navman products as I've not had chance to try one and compare to the iCN510.
TomTom are definitely trying to make inroads to corrections with their map updates etc.

Also, the time to first fix is way way quicker on the newer devices and you can get reception just about anywhere. I found the Navman really frustrating if I came out of an airport car park for example and then had to pull over for a couple of minutes to get a position fix. Never a problem with the GO720.

My Euro maps were getting out of date and I didn't fancy throwing good money after bad. The Easter price reduction was just the final push I needed to part with the cash. Plus by then I'd got permission from the finance dept (wife !!) to splash out. Always easier to get agreement before ....... but like they say.......it's easier to get FORGIVEN than get PERMISSION Twisted Evil

No seriously, she was so impressed with the TomTom 910 I borrowed from work that she wanted to buy one anyway.

Cheers

Gav

Garmin Nuvi 3598 + GO 720 (+USA Map Card) + NavFree for iPhone in case all else fails ;-)
AidanTighe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can trade in your discontinued navman products with the manufacturer for one of the S series products at a discounted price. I did this through the navman support team.
Aldridge_Andy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AidanTighe wrote:
you can trade in your discontinued navman products with the manufacturer for one of the S series products at a discounted price. I did this through the navman support team.

Navman told me about this when I called to enquire about buying updated maps. I think they wanted around £149 plus my ICN 510 Advanced Edition returned to them.... I just thought it was a poor offer when I can get a Navman S90 for £164 online! My ICN which really is as good as new condition is worth more than £20 to anyone.

I think now I'm also a bit narked that Navman just wave goodbye to support to their older products from a couple of years ago. From what I can tell it's still possible to buy current maps for TomTom's of similar age, and probbaly will be for a couple of years to come.

I do like my Navman, and I was going to originally go in that direction, it's just that their customer loyalty offer just seems very poor to me, as does their support to their exisiting customer base. Sorry Navman.

TomTom Go 720.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: