Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 720 problems and error message.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

720 problems and error message.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldpilot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: 720 problems and error message. Reply with quote

Hi,

Yesterday had an unusual problem with my one week old TTGO720T. I noticed that it wasn't updating the route when I took a minor detour so I reselected Navigate-Home. As soon as I hit the Home selection it froze, followed after 30 sec or so by a self reboot. I tried again with the same result. When I tried to do a normal Navigate command it came back with an error message saying it couldn't find or access the maps! I tried a 'pin' reset but same problem... I refrained from a factory default reset as I had data I didn't want to loose.

Once home I docket the device and reloaded my last data save. Everything back to normal... or nearly so! This morning I had several error messages on the screen saying something like, 'Unable write map data, file fault.' The red message stayed up for a couple of seconds but the machine seemed to work without any difficulty, and still does! However, I am concerned that these problems might indicate a hardware fault, perhaps a section of RAM that won't write properly?

Any ideas?

Old Pilot
if1977
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to clear the RAM it might be an idea to run the Clear Flash Tool. It is also there to help with map problems also. It will not clear any of your data so do not be frightened to run it. Sounds worse than it is. Wink
GO 510 (in drawer now, time for upgrade)
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a Windows Explorer backup (as opposed to a "Home" one) before doing anything else. See the FAQs at the top of this forum section for instructions.

Then save all your favourites as a new POI category, and backup the map folder again.

Then try the "Factory Reset"

If none of this fixes it, I'd send it back for replacement.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a Windows Explorer backup (as opposed to a "Home" one) before doing anything else. See the FAQs at the top of this forum section for instructions.

Then save all your favourites as a new POI category, and backup the map folder again.

Try the clear Flash, then another reset with pin.
If still no good, then try the "Factory Reset"

Have you added any other content? Filled it up to the top with mp3s? Like Windows, it needs some spare space to work with.

If none of this fixes it, I'd send it back for replacement.
oldpilot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad
Thanks for your help.
TT support have also replied with some assistance. They suggest doing:

1. Backup
2. Run the clear Flash tool that they provide (good guess if1977).

If that doesn't work they suggest:

3. Delete Settings.dat and Mapsettings.cfg
4. Do both a Factory Reset and a pin hole Reset.

Now that all sounds fine but I have fallen at the first post, the Backup!

Having previously done a couple of successful backups with TT Home I now cannot as it fails when trying to copy gns/gnsdata. This file is corrupt and wont copy with either TT Home or explorer.

That leaves me with, perhaps, a reason for the problem but also a bit stuck for a cure... any ideas?

Old Pilot
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm...
I've got a folder called "gns" and in that folder is one file called "TmcEApi.so"

I tried looking at it with Notepad and there's a lot of jumbled text, looks like a log?
Quote:
GnsETmc_DestroyInstance GnsETmc_RegisterSimulationCb LL125 LL168 LL45 LL13 LL56 GnsETmc_RegisterSerialWriteCb GnsETmc_SetParam LL174 LL133 LL78 LL35 LL81 LL40 _DYNAMIC LL145 LL123 LL166 _bss_end__ LL105 LL21 LL153 LL107 LL97 LL39 LL16 LL59 LL19 LL143 GnsETmc_TimeControl GnsETmc_ClearTmc __bss_start__ LL38 LL10 LL53 LL170 LL115 LL141 LL147 LL111 LL1 LL117 LL3 LL159 LL142 LL15 GnsETmc_RegisterDebugWriteCb GnsETmc_SetStationFilter LL135 _init LL140 GnsETmc_GetLibVersion LL158 malloc@@GLIBC_2.0 LL80 LL84 LL43 LL162 GnsETmc_SetTraceFlags

A pure guess but going by the name, maybe it's something to do with TMC? (which I haven't got)

If you can copy and save everything else and then move it, see if it works without it.
if1977
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After you ran the Clear Flash Tool did you do a Factory reset straight after because according to TT you will not get the full effect of it without doing the Factory Reset straight after. Not sure if it would make a difference oldpilot but might be worth a try if all else fails. Sad
GO 510 (in drawer now, time for upgrade)
oldpilot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First I just tried the clear flash tool but the problems remained so then I did the file deletions followed by factory and pin hole resets but that didn't work so I did the whole lot in one go. Out of interest I no longer get the file error messages, the system just freezes when going off the planned route and then does a reset. Following the reset it freezes any time it is asked to calculate a route.

I have yet to get out onto the road to see if it fails again but I can already see that gnsdata is still corrupt despite being previously deleted.

I am about to give up and take it back to Halfords.

For information to those who have an interest in these things... the gnsdata file can be deleted at will as the TT writes a new one. However, I have no idea what its function is.

Old Pilot
Jembo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, been fighting with this corrupt gnsdata... and have now just been able to do successful TOMTOM HOME backup without it failing.

1. Work out what drive letter your Tom Tom is from Windows explorer eg E:
2. Start, Run and type in CMD to open a DOS window (good old DOS)
3. Type CHKDSK E: /F where E: is the drive letter of your TomTom and the /F switch fixes disk problems
4. You will then be asked to Convert lost chains to files (Y/N)? so enter Y

After doing this, TomTom HOME let me backup... I don't know how many more probs may still be lurking or whether tomorrow will be yet another challenge, but if this doesn't solve it TOMTOM will be getting another 720T unit back which is a shame coz otherwise its been fab.

J
Jembo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One last thing. It's 3 months since I bought the unit tomorrow so have defragged the drive as well. To do this successfully, you need to:
1. either get the TOMTOM backup working & / or completely copy all of your TOMTOM directories onto your computer/laptop.
2. Delete the 'Western_Europe' directory on your TOMTOM - reason for this is that defrag will not run on the tiny amount of free space with the maps installed.
3. Defrag your TOMTOM drive
4. Copy the 'Western_Europe' directory back onto your TOMTOM... where you deleted it in the 1st place.

... just finished the defrag... prepare to engage WARP. The 720T is quick finding routes but after the defrag mine is now 'exceeding expectations' & and NO read/write errors (so far)

I just hope I don't have to do this manual file cleaning every couple of months :-(
pdegg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I've interestingly had the same issue with GNSDATA, and the file is marked as corrupt- so even windows can't handle it directly. Good old CHKDSK sorts it - but odd same file corrupted as yours??
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdegg wrote:
Hi

I've interestingly had the same issue with GNSDATA, and the file is marked as corrupt- so even windows can't handle it directly. Good old CHKDSK sorts it - but odd same file corrupted as yours??

It is not a corrupt file, just that Windows thinks it is. Windows treats all files ending in .chk as loose chains of corrupt files; however, TomTom's firmware is linux based and, as such, a file endind .chk in Linux is not really a problem.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: